• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] base stats & stuff help

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    hi!!! :love: long time no type!:love:

i have two ''not new now '' pokemon regions... the swraria region & the xesse region.... that i love :love: the kyou region is no more....

but we'll start with the swrairia region, the region made up of pokemon based on plushies :D

cause i have absolutely no clue about the stats....

Hello there,
    For the starters, this is kinda easy. I'm going to teach you how to do it :)
    Starters typically have the same base stats. First stage has a base total of around ~310, second stage has a base total of around ~410 and last stage has a base total of ~530.
    Now you need to ask yourself these two questions for each Pokémon:
    1. How balanced are its stats?
    2. Considering the lore/inspiration behind this Pokémon, which stat(s) should be higher?
    Also note that if the first stage has balanced stats but a somewhat high special attack, then the subsequent stages should have the same distribution.
    Do it as an exercise!

Years
  • Hello there,
    For the starters, this is kinda easy. I'm going to teach you how to do it :)
    Starters typically have the same base stats. First stage has a base total of around ~310, second stage has a base total of around ~410 and last stage has a base total of ~530.
    Now you need to ask yourself these two questions for each Pokémon:
    1. How balanced are its stats?
    2. Considering the lore/inspiration behind this Pokémon, which stat(s) should be higher?
    Also note that if the first stage has balanced stats but a somewhat high special attack, then the subsequent stages should have the same distribution.
    Do it as an exercise!
    alright.... i'll give it a go... :hattremhuh:

i'm stupid with stats...

as for the 2nd question: since they're based on my plushies, i have no idea....
    though.... could the answer maybe lie in the pokedex entries? :hattremhuh:

& no offense to you, but i thought that you were gonna help me like you did all that while back before...
    unless i'm not seeing something... & you are :hattremhuh:

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    alright.... i'll give it a go... :hattremhuh:

i'm stupid with stats...

as for the 2nd question: since they're based on my plushies, i have no idea....
    though.... could the answer maybe lie in the pokedex entries? :hattremhuh:

& no offense to you, but i thought that you were gonna help me like you did all that while back before...
    unless i'm not seeing something... & you are :hattremhuh:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    "Come up with stats for Popplio and you help her for a day; teach Popplio how to come up with stats and you help her for a lifetime."

The thing is, it takes time to make up these stats, and I am sure you have hundreds of new Pokémons to give stats to. I don't have time to help you with all your Pokémons, so I want to teach you how I do. I look for similar families of Pokémons, I take their base stat totals, and based on their Pokédex descriptions (this is what I meant in mysecond question), I distribute the stats in the way that makes more sense.
    For example, your Grass starter looks like a defensive Pokémon (due to its calmness) with some special ability (soothing other Pokémons). It suggests a slow Pokémon with somewhat high defensive stats and a medium-high special attack.
    Now do it and I'll correct you if you want :)

I mean, you draw these Pokémons, and you come up with these wonderful Pokédex descriptions. Stat totals are far easier to come up with!

Years
  • "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    "Come up with stats for Popplio and you help her for a day; teach Popplio how to come up with stats and you help her for a lifetime."
    The thing is, it takes time to make up these stats,

and I am sure you have hundreds of new Pokémons to give stats to.
    well... yes... Swrairia region has 118 pokemon in it so far
    & the xesse region has 120 pokemon in it so far :coolrim:
    they're my region children ^^
    I don't have time to help you with all your Pokémons, so I want to teach you how I do. I look for similar families of Pokémons, I take their base stat totals, and based on their Pokédex descriptions (this is what I meant in mysecond question), I distribute the stats in the way that makes more sense.
    For example, your Grass starter looks like a defensive Pokémon (due to its calmness) with some special ability (soothing other Pokémons). It suggests a slow Pokémon with somewhat high defensive stats and a medium-high special attack.

:love: :woop::mareepwave:
    ok, i'll try...
    & that'd be great ...:love: math's not my strong suit, so to speak 😅 :hattremhuh:

I mean, you draw these Pokémons, and you come up with these wonderful Pokédex descriptions.
    well, i did draw them.... that's my best trait of doing the Swrairia & xesse regions ^^
    but i didn't come up with the pokedex entries myself... rekoil helped me with the pokedex entries...😅 i'm stupid with coming up with pokedex entries too....

i mean, take my old pokedex entries on some of the pokemon that i don't use anymore, that i made myself in the past... i didn't think they were any good..... :plead:

Spoiler: old pokedex entries that i made myself in the past

Stat totals are far easier to come up with!
    :woop:

do you like the swraria region starters, by the way? :love:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I look for similar families of Pokémons, I take their base stat totals, and based on their Pokédex descriptions (this is what I meant in mysecond question), I distribute the stats in the way that makes more sense.
    For example, your Grass starter looks like a defensive Pokémon (due to its calmness) with some special ability (soothing other Pokémons).

It suggests a slow Pokémon with somewhat high defensive stats and a medium-high special attack.
    well... i've come up with something for rinemi's defense, special attack & speed

defense is : 50
    special attack is: 30
    speed is: 15

not sure of hp, attack or special defense, though :hattremhuh:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    do you like the swraria region starters, by the way? :love:

I like your style, all the Pokémons you draw are very cute :)
    Do you use a graphic tablet or your mouse?

well... i've come up with something for rinemi's defense, special attack & speed

defense is : 50
    special attack is: 30
    speed is: 15

not sure of hp, attack or special defense, though :hattremhuh:

For Rinemi, you have 310 points to spread. The average stat would be 310 / 6 = 51~52. So if the Pokémon was perfectly balanced, it would have:
    HP: 51
    Atk: 52
    Def: 52
    SpA: 52
    SpD: 52
    Spe: 51

(Not 52 everywhere, otherwise it would add up to 312)

But I said Rinemi would probably be defensive with some special attack. For example, you could add maybe 10 to the defensive stats, and maybe 5 to the special attack stat. But you also need to substract the same numbers somewhere else for the total to still be 310.
    HP: 51 - 5 = 46
    Atk: 52 - 10 = 42
    Def: 52 + 10 = 62
    SpA: 52 + 5 = 57
    SpD: 52 + 10 = 62
    Spe: 51 - 10 = 41

Note that there is a -10 for each +10 and a -5 for the +5. This is to keep the same base total.
    Also I choose 5 and 10 as an example, but you can use different numbers as well. Another example of distribution with the same idea of a defensive Pokémon with some special attack could be:
    HP: 51 + 5 = 56
    Atk: 52 - 20 = 32

310 + 5 - 20 + 10 + 5 + 10 - 10 = 310, phew, it's the same base stat total :)
    This time I decided that Rimeni wouldn't use its attack, so I decreased it a lot, which let me add some HP.

Do you get the idea?

Years
  • I like your style, all the Pokémons you draw are very cute :)
    thanks! :love:
    Do you use a graphic tablet or your mouse?
    i use the mouse :3
    For Rinemi, you have 310 points to spread. The average stat would be 310 / 6 = 51~52. So if the Pokémon was perfectly balanced, it would have:
    HP: 51
    Atk: 52
    Def: 52
    SpA: 52
    SpD: 52
    Spe: 51

(Not 52 everywhere, otherwise it would add up to 312)

But I said Rinemi would probably be defensive with some special attack. For example, you could add maybe 10 to the defensive stats, and maybe 5 to the special attack stat. But you also need to substract the same numbers somewhere else for the total to still be 310.
    HP: 51 - 5 = 46
    Atk: 52 - 10 = 42

Note that there is a -10 for each +10 and a -5 for the +5. This is to keep the same base total.
    Also I choose 5 and 10 as an example, but you can use different numbers as well. Another example of distribution with the same idea of a defensive Pokémon with some special attack could be:
    HP: 51 + 5 = 56
    Atk: 52 - 20 = 32

310 + 5 - 20 + 10 + 5 + 10 - 10 = 310, phew, it's the same base stat total :)
    This time I decided that Rimeni wouldn't use its attack, so I decreased it a lot, which let me add some HP.

Do you get the idea?
    kinda? :huh:

would it be cheating if i used some stat from one of the existing pokemon with 310 base stat total?:hattremhuh: - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pokémon_with_a_base_stat_total_of_310

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    thanks! :love:

i use the mouse :3

If you can get a graphic tablet, it would be easier for you to draw them :)
    (Don't take one with a screen though, it's too expensive and the screen is pretty useless)

kinda? :huh:
    would it be cheating if i used some stat from one of the existing pokemon with 310 base stat total?:hattremhuh: - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pokémon_with_a_base_stat_total_of_310
    No it's not cheating at all :)
    I encourage you to edit these stats too, like add 5 or substract 5 to some of the stats to make them more unique :)

Years
  • If you can get a graphic tablet, it would be easier for you to draw them :)
    i've been wanting to get one eventually, actually.... after i get a laptop eventually :3
    (Don't take one with a screen though, it's too expensive and the screen is pretty useless)
    that's not true for everyone, though, i think, that the screen is useless :hattremhuh:
    No it's not cheating at all :)
    I encourage you to edit these stats too, like add 5 or substract 5 to some of the stats to make them more unique :)
    ok! :love: :mareepwave:
    i mean... i'll try :>

Back