• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Beserk Gene

Years
    The Berserk Gene was a consumable held item exclusive to the Gen 2 games. It was the signature held item for Mewtwo, and wild Mewtwo are encoded to always have it in the second generation games like Ho-oh's sacred ash. While Mewtwo cannot be encountered (through normal methods) in the wilds of GSC, the berserk gene can still be obtained as a hidden item in the water outside of the now sealed Cerulean Cave. An item finder can help you locate the invisible item. It's adjacent to a Cerulean city npc who stands behind the house nearest to the sea. If you talk to him his text foreshadows by telling you that there used to be a cave here with horribly powerful pokemon in it. His item finder will start going off, distracting him.

The beserk gene is a one-time use held item. It is consumed as soon as the pokemon holding it is sent into battle, unlike other items that may have additional requirements like berries that activate in a certain health range. What the beserk gene does is raise the holder's attack by two stages, so it's an automatic swords dance boost. The significant stat boost comes at a price however, after consumption the pokemon also gets confused. This confusion doesn't wear off, but is a permanent status for the duration of most battles unless healed. So very high risk, high reward item.

While this special item is associated with Mewtwo, a leftover from the experiments it underwent before it notoriously went beserk and destroyed Cinnabar Island lab, any pokemon can actually be equipped with the beserk gene. It will always activate as soon as they enter battle.

Did you discover the beserk gene in your GSC playthroughs?

I honestly didn't even know it existed until recently. I think it is an interesting part of the game's lore though. I would have liked to have seen it return in HGSS, since you can finally explore Cerulean cave again in Kanto in the remakes. It could be something dropped after catching or defeating Mewtwo.

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    This is a new thing for me too. Admitedly I don't like Gen 2 as much, but I'm still familiar with most of the old games competitive scenes and lore, so it's still interesting to have found out about it for the first time.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I heard about the Berserk Gene through a let's player on Youtube who was playing Pokemon Crystal Clear about...a year or two ago? It's weird that this item completely disappeared after this gen. I wonder why?

Years
    Only ever saw it in Bulbapedia entries. Seems like an interesting item, what with inflicting perma-confuse which has never been a thing I think. Don't know why they stopped using it.

Years
    Never heard of this either, I haven't played Gen II since the VC releases, but would be interesting to see how it plays out ingame. Also really ties into the lore of the Pokemon world as well, pretty cool and unique item!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I knew about it and found it back in the day. It might have been due to the NPC giving a hint to where it is, though. I never ended up using it because it is a one time item.

Years
    • Seen today
    Never heard of it. But after reading its description it's easy to figure out why it didn't made it past Gen 2, it would be too OP for special attackers with access to Own Tempo such as Slowbro/king and Grumpig.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    Never heard of it. But after reading its description it's easy to figure out why it didn't made it past Gen 2, it would be too OP for special attackers with access to Own Tempo such as Slowbro/king and Grumpig.
    I honestly don't know if it would.

The Own Tempo users in Gen 3 (Slowbro, Slowking, Smeargle, Spinda, Lickitung) were all slow and had weak physical attack, so a one-time +2 boost to Attack wasn't that big of an issue. The only really scary thing I can think of is Baton Pass on Smeargle, but I still dunno if that would put Berserk Gene over the top.

In the modern day, Mudsdale would be very scary, especially with Dynamax preventing flinching. Purugly also seems like a clear winner, with 112 speed, 82 attack, and STAB Fake-Out.

EDIT: I forgot Misty Terrain. Misty Surge definitely breaks Berserk Gene.

Years
    • Seen today
    The Own Tempo users in Gen 3 (Slowbro, Slowking, Smeargle, Spinda, Lickitung) were all slow and had weak physical attack, so a one-time +2 boost to Attack wasn't that big of an issue. The only really scary thing I can think of is Baton Pass on Smeargle, but I still dunno if that would put Berserk Gene over the top.

My mistake, I've actually read it increased Special attack, so yeah, it wouldn't have been an issue if kept in Gen 3. From Gen 4 onwards it would have been a huge boost for Pokémon like Purugly, Mudsdale or Avalugg.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    bro that thing fucked me up in pokemon stadium 2. chuck's primeape is holding it in the gym leader tower and knowing about the item and how rare it is is just Wild to me that they let him have that in that game. to my recollection, no one else seems to use it but like damn chuck was difficult for that lol. then again, this is 28 year old me trying to think back to like. 8 or 9 year old me's brain.

Back