• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Pokémon in each type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2015
    Heya,

I was wondering what would be the best Pokémon in each type, anyone who could help out ? Would be nice (for me aswell) for competitive play !
    Anyone who can help complete the list :)?
    I was thinking:

Fire: Typhlosion.
    Water: Swampert.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm gonna move this on down to Pokemon Gaming Central since this isn't specific to just X and Y; it encompasses all Pokemon across all the generations. If it was about the best Pokemon in each type for Pokemon introduced in X and Y, I'd keep it in the X/Y section, but...

Moves.

It's highly debatable what is the best Pokemon of a type, but I'll add one to the list for now:

Electric: Zekrom
    Ok, I may be terribly biased in my choice here, but I have my reasons too. Zekrom is easily the best physical Electric attacker in the game due to its high base Attack of 150 and access to the most powerful physical Electric attack, Bolt Strike. Being a physical Electric attacker is both somewhat unique and means that special walls, who stop most Electric types in their tracks, aren't a problem. While it has a somewhat shallow movepool and there's types that are immune to both of its STABs, it still has enough to do what it needs. Draco Meteor and Roost allow it to handle Ground types to some degree, and the aforementioned Bolt Strike is something that no Fairy wants to switch into.

If you're looking for something that isn't considered Uber (yet), there's Thundurus, and if you want something that's not a legendary, there's Wash Rotom.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    If you're wondering about the "best" for competitive play, there isn't really "one" best Pokemon of each type because in competitive battling it really depends on the team and the role each Pokemon is playing. There really is no "best."

I'm not too up to date on the current metagame, but I think Scizor is one of the best Steel-types out there. It has a couple of good sets to pick from, and each of them could all be equally destructive when played correctly. It has access to Swords Dance, Roost, Bullet Punch, U-Turn.. so even though its attacking moves are somewhat predicable you might not know what kind of item it has (and therefore what kind of damage its capable of doing to your team) until it's too late.

In this generation, Charizard has risen from the lowest tier to the standard one, and could easily be one of the better Fire-types. Since each Mega Charizard runs a different type of set (Y is special; X is physical) it's difficult to predict and even stop it once it has Mega Evolved. Not sure if this should count as Water- or Fairy- type, but Azumarill also gets a special mention for becoming a major threat that it has a shiny new type :]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Skarmory is, in my opinion, one of the best flying-types you'll ever find. It's got access to a entry hazards, and has enough defenses to endure hits and successfully set them up. It could learn Roost, too, so whenever you're unable to use any recovery item, you could have it utilize this move, and it'd be able to restore its health instantly. Another thing is that it's able to use Brave Bird, and while it does cause recoil damage, it's still quite a powerful attack, and you'd be able to take down a variety of opponents with it.

As far as normal Pokémon go, I personally love Blissey. It could withstand countless amount of special hits, and thanks to its ability on learning moves such as Wish, Protect, Heal Bell, and Toxic, it's able to make a gargantuan staller. I've used it plenty of times before, and it has never, ever manged to fail me, thankfully. Chansey is good, too; if you give it an Eviolite, it'd be able to perform even better.

One of most favorite dragon-types is Kingdra. It's got Swift Swim ability, so whenever it rains, its speed doubles itself (making it outspeed almost all Pokémon that are in its tier), which is quite a huge deal. Give it Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Outrage, and some other suitable attack, and it'd be able to make a great asset for almost any of your team.

Years
    I'll name a type that overall leaves something to be desired on its own:

For the Ice-type, I think Mamoswine is the best of that type, because while it has several weaknesses, it has a monstrous 130 base Attack, along with Icicle Crash and Icicle Spear for good physical Ice-type measure. It can do a number of things, including set up Stealth Rock, and utilize Focus Sash + Endeavor. With the Thick Fat ability, it isn't weak to Fire and resists Ice itself, and can use STAB Ice Shard to pick off weakened targets. So yeah, it has a lot more going for it than most other Ice-types do.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mamoswine is indeed quite a good ice-type. Alongside, another, I think, would be Walrein. It's got Ice Heal ability (or something along the lines), which allows it to recover its health bit-by-bit every time as long as there's hailstorm. If you'd given it a set of Leftovers, it would be able to restore even more. Its defenses are pretty big, which gives you an extremely hard time trying to take it down. If you don't have any fighting- or fire-type with you to counter this Pokémon, it'd be more or less impossible, actually.

I personally haven't used it myself, but did go up against one when battling with my friend. It was very much frustrating, haha. Will give it a go someday, though, if I do ever decide to build an ice mono-type team. Have been planning on it for some time, and all there's left to do is put everything together, which won't be much of a trouble, I hope.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2023
    Not gonna lie... Snorlax is probably my favorite normal type pokemon, and pretty OP in general

Back