• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Betas and Pokegods

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    Hi. I have created this thread to assemble all know info about the beta versions of the Pokemon games, and all info about the so-called Pokegods. Lets start compiling.

-Red and Green
    • Pokemon was originally going to be named "Capsule Monsters"
      Betas and Pokegods
    • His team was to have consisted of Tauros, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyarados, and the starter that was not taken by you or your rival, according to in-game data. His Pokemon's levels are even higher than your rival's as a champion, perhaps implying he was once going to be the champion. This battle can be activated through the Mew glitch with a Special stat of 226, and remains in place in Pokémon Yellow.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • A possible Flying type prototype. This can be seen in the final version of the game: Missingno. is a Bird/Normal Pokémon. The Bird type is also present in Generation II, probably because Gold and Silver's game engine is based off of Generation I.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • It is possible to force a situation where the player has a choice of selecting options NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, and WEST as opposed to the options which appear in the final game such as Yes/No and Heal/Cancel. The words "WEST" and "SOUTH" in block capitals do not even appear in the final game.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • There were originally plans for a female character to be playable in Red and Green, as older sketches suggest. Green from Pokémon Adventures seems to be based on her. The character was redesigned and included in the remakes of the game, to continue the standard of including a female protagonist option.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • According to the interview by Satoru Iwata with Tsunekaz Ishihara and Shigeki Morimoto about the release of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, localized as "Iwata Asks", they admitted that after the debug features were removed, they added Mew in the empty space. Nintendo thought that this would have been risky because altering the game code after completing testing, meant that any new bugs created by adding data with no debugging features would have been much harder to be fixed. Standard programming practices usually discourage altering the code and not testing it, just before releasing the game to the customer.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • An unused Trainer class known as "Chief" was omitted from the final game, though like Oak, a battle with an NPC with this data can be accessed through cheating. The Trainer class is mentioned in-game by one of the Team Rocket grunts in Celadon City, and shares its battle sprite with the Scientist Trainer class.
      Betas and Pokegods
    • There are three map locations which are each identical to another map used in the final game, except for the fact that the default music used in the alternative location is different. These locations are:
      • House invaded by Team Rocket (Mt. Moon theme) - index number 69 instead of 62.
      • Underground Path Route 6 entrance (Vermilion City theme) - index number 75 instead of 74.
      • Cinnabar Island Poké Mart (Cinnabar Island theme) - index number 173 instead of 172.
    • Formatted data exists for an additional map location.[4] It is located straight after the final town in memory (Saffron City) but just before Route 1. Its associated data is completely blank, even its header data and coordinates on the Town Map (where the game defaults the location as part of "Pallet Town" with coordinates 0,0), except for the fact that an unused flag when checked allows the player to Fly to it. Attempting to travel to this location simply freezes the game.
    • Unused shop data exists and may be associated with the formatted map location as mentioned above. The "shop" lists Great Balls, Super Potions, Hyper Potions, Full Heals and Revives.
    • Unused items with the names of all the badges exist in the game's coding. This could mean that the badges were originally going to be items that were carried in the player's bag. The Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge are the only ones that do something when used in battle - they allow the player to throw bait and rocks, respectively, as in the Safari Zone battles. When used outside of battle, they have another strange effect - after the throwing animation, the music changes to a loop of Professor Oak's "good Pokédex" jingle.
    • There is an item in the game named ?????, which enables the player to Surf without using a Pokémon. Due to this ability, it is often referred to as Surfboard. In the final game, the move Surf can be used by a Pokémon as a field move serving the same function. This has led a few players to speculate that either the move Surf was not originally implemented as a field move or that the move did not initially exist as an HM.
    • Here is a copy paste from this topic https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8356
      • "My! It's been a while since I last post in this thread, so I don't think anyone can argue that I'm bumping it. And not after what I'm about to post. As you may know I frequently visit 4chan, and the administrator opened a new board just for Pokémon some months ago. Since then this kind of post has been making its rounds:

The scans of a Japanese book called "Tajiri Satoshi, The Man who Created Pokémon". Although, as evidenced in the cover, this book covers the development history of other games besides the first generation of the Pokémon games, what has been posted on 4chan's /vp/ is the Pokémon part. Besides being a description of the work of Tajiri creating and designing the games, it includes part of the beta artwork posted in the first post of this thread in a higher resolution.
        But there is new art in that book, as well as part of the original sketches on different parts of the design of the game. Image For example, here we have a concept drawing of the trainer and a Rhyhorn (the first Pokémon programmed, according to its index number https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_I) of the first games) as well as part of the intro.
        Here we have the sketch of the pokéball jiggling after capturing a Pokémon, and its aplication in-game when a weird Pokémon placeholder -which I'm pretty sure it's a Game Freak in-joke- is captured by the trainer.
        In this image the idea of the link cable is shown with a weird Pikachu and a moth-looking Pokémon (I remember that animation when playing the games back in junior high). Then it shows the first ideas for the Pokéballs: instead of opening up like a box with the hinge between the red and white portions of the ball, the original pokéball's white part slides into the red part, and the button isn't in the equator of the ball, but in the middle of the red part. Finally there's a sketch of what became a Pokémon Mart or the Rocket Game Corner's Prize exchange (since they have Pokémon in cages and *yegh* in jars). Interesting to note that, in the dialogue below the shop scene, they refer to Lapras, albeit none is shown and, as the images before have already shown, most Pokémon weren't fully developed.
        The town scene shown in the first post. It can be seen more in detail in the following images. It seems that the buildings were going to be more complex -with signs and different forms- than the ones released in the game.
        The most puzzling image of all: a set of both the lobby (or as the image calls it, the "Check In") of a Hotel as well as inside one of its rooms. Maybe the hotel in Celadon was going to have a bigger role. But what is more strange is that the player's character seems to be a girl. On the female player's character, beside the image already posted with Red, Blue and a Girl Trainer, this other image has surfaced:
        Sorry for the small size, but that seems to be the only image available. It show the female character's sprites: the overworld one, the one from the back regularly shown at the beginning of the battles and the front one, only shown in the Trainer Card part of the menu or when link battling with another human player. Many think this is the original female player from the second generation, but as shown in the post of that generation's beta development, the images of the development of that game were released in colour -albeit Super Game Boy color procesing at first- and this one is in black and white. Also, the Trainer Card screen is the one from Red/Green/Blue/Yellow. I hope someone finds this interesting. I sure do, and I'm still on the lookout for more images like this in 4chan's Pokémon Board. -Commanderraf"

Sorry. Firefox shut down, didnt want to lose the hour work of a topic.

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Wow I have to admit, those are some pretty good findings, good work.
    Heres another thing I think you missed:
    Betas and Pokegods

Charmander originally used to have a spikey back.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • This is pretty amazing (: All those things we never knew about them :o

Charmander's spiky back :| No thanks.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • According to Bulbapedia some Pokemon had different English names.

# Final name Beta name Japanese name
    014 Kakuna Kokoon Cocoon
    016 Pidgey Pidge Poppo
    019 Rattata Rattatak Koratta
    023 Ekans Arbo Arbo
    028 Sandslash Sandstorm Sandpan
    035 Clefairy Aria Pippi
    036 Clefable Ariala Pixy
    037 Vulpix Foxfire Rokon
    046 Paras Parasyte Paras
    050 Diglett Digda Digda
    058 Growlithe Flamie Gardie