• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beware the fake cards!

xXSakuraXx

Sakura
Years
  • Once I bought 3 packs of pokemon cards from a fair =, and they where all fake! (what a wast of money :disappoin)

How to tell cards aren't fake:
    The back is a really, dark blue.
    The name is different. (Duh)
    The writing is smaller or bigger.
    The backgrounds shading doesn't match where the pokemon is standing.

Hopefully this helps you.

~Sakura~
    :chu:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Once I bought 3 packs of pokemon cards from a fair =, and they where all fake! (what a wast of money :disappoin)

~Sakura~

Ehh...I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong place. This sub-forum is for the people who like making the innocent (Just for fun, non-commercial) kind of fakes, not a place to discuss the actual problem of RL fakers. Besides, most of the folks here can spot something as simple as a slightly misplaced name instantly, so I don't think they're that much at risk. I'm pretty sure this should go in the main forum, so I'll call for a proffessional opinion. :3

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
  • I got a worse story. When I was little, the neighborhood kids would go to this 99scents store that was about half a mile away. And for about two months, we all bought pokemon cards there, but one day, I was in my friends car on the way home from the 99scents store, and we were all looking at our cards, and noticed, they were seethrew! (kinda like tracing paper, but it wasn't flimsy paper) Anyway, my friends mom was so angry that she turned arounf, drove back to the store, went to the man at the counter, started yelling, and about 3 minutes later, the cops came and arested the man. I spent like 25 bucks, all buying indiviual cards, and we never got our money back! >_<

Just goes to show you what some people will do. -_-

xXSakuraXx

Sakura
    Years
  • Ehh...I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong place. This sub-forum is for the people who like making the innocent (Just for fun, non-commercial) kind of fakes, not a place to discuss the actual problem of RL fakers. Besides, most of the folks here can spot something as simple as a slightly misplaced name instantly, so I don't think they're that much at risk. I'm pretty sure this should go in the main forum, so I'll call for a proffessional opinion. :3
    Sorry, It had something to do with pokemon cards so I thought it belonged here

I have another reason why it can be fake. It doesnt say TM on the back

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Sorry, It had something to do with pokemon cards so I thought it belonged here

Don't sweat it, if this is indeed misplaced then a mod will come around sooner or later and move it to the right place.

Anyways, the 99cents guy sure was a jerk, but yeah, the world is full of them. Imo the best way is to keep at least one legit card on your person when you buy individual ones, that way you can compare fonts, positioning, and security details as well as the texture, feel, weight etc. of the card. Oooor...you could just stick to buying boosters since they take a lot more effort to fake and have a lower market price per card than individual cards and so are less appealing for swindlers. :3

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
    Years
  • I have no issues with people posting their fake card occurances. This is a "Fake Card" thread, so anything fake card related is acceptable, even if the summary says it's for fan made cards. This was the first thread to talk about this, so if others want to talk about it, then so be it.

I'll allow it, but Sakura, please keep spam to a minimum. That question you had above could have been asked in PM.

Rumor

Collector
    Years

~Sakura~

Once I bought a pack of cards of the 3rd gen or something and they were all 1st gen cards >.>

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    I once bought one of the D/P Booster packs, looking for Gengar and Vespiqueen, however I was stuck with cards coming from entirely different sets, some only had a pokeball on the back, no blue color or anything. There was a oddly colored red Jigglypuff for example, and that grass Mewtwo Flame Claw talked about. Then there were other fakes, such as Combusken, Wailord, Kabutops (this one from Fossil set IIRC), and fake Dialga and a fake Palkia.

Would've shown you how they looked, but I'm lacking a scanner unfortunately, and my camera became a brick. >.<

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • It would be helpful if someone could post these fake cards on this forum so we could see what to look out for.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I was looking on ebay before for Pokemon cards and I ran into some cards like Charizard * and Ash's Noctowl * and the cards said "blank from pokemon zeo" on the bottom. I figured these cards wouldn't be good to buy.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Hmm Fake Cards are a mighty big problem, with Pokemon losing popularity (face it) the amount has rapidly decreased, however fakes still exist.

Heres a good test for fakes:

• The surface. Many fake cards are plastered onto stickers, giving them a sleek and greasy feel. (Japanese cards have this though, since they are made from different materials). US/EU cards are grainier
    • Fake cards often have the colours different to real ones. They are easy to compare.
    • Fake cards rarely pass the 'light test', ie they let light through when held up to a lamp. Real ones dont.
    • Very good fakes are printed onto boards. However they have slight text differences
    • Some cards are ridiculous. If they have crazy holofoil, then theyre probably fake. Be wary of the Legends RH though.
    • Some cards are over designed. Pokemon with 1000hp doing 330000 damage with other randomn numbers and energy symbols stuck on are stinking of fakeness.
    • If a card (eg an ex) appears on ebay and is non holo. then its probably fake, check with a list or a knowledgable person! *coughmecough*
    • Be wary WHERE you get cards from. Especially if your in countries such as China, HK, Malaysia, South America or the Middle East.
    • If the packaged looks odd, eg warped coloured or tampered, dont get it.

Thats the basic rules of avoiding fakes. If you do get a fake, make sure you complain and get your money back. Its all about trust ;)

GrayLuna

Years
  • well i think it depends where you buy them like if you buy them on a fair/small business store/ice cream truck their probably fake but if you buy them in a store like target their more likely to be real

Back