• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blaziken Guide

Which Fighter Should I Write About Next?

• Pikachu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garchomp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Since I've been maining Blaziken for about a good week or two, I think I feel confident enough to make a thread on how he works. Mind you, this is just my experience with the character, I may even actually use him differently than you. But I hope I actually teach you something you didn't know, yet.

General:
    Blaziken is a Fire/Fighting type (I hope you knew that already) labeled as a Standard fighter. But really the way he feels to me he's more like a mix of Power/Speed. His strategy is simple: Get up in your opponent's face-> stay in your opponent's face-> win. For Power players, you're pretty used to that strategy, but the difference between your big guy and Blaziken is: Blaziken is faster. Like, much faster. He can keep your opponent pinned to the wall really well, which is a position you want to be in.

Field Phase:
    Field Phase isn't exactly Blaziken's forte. Most of his projectiles don't have very long range on them, so mostly what you're aiming for is a quick rushdown with either your homing attack or Blaze Kick. However, that is not to say Blaziken doesn't have any good Field moves.

First off is his side-Y attack: he kicks a sizable horizontal stream of flame toward your opponent which actually travel a pretty good distance. And then there's his aerial-Y: which has him produce a fireball in the air, and kicks it if you press Y an additional time. But wait, THERE'S MORE: just after you produce the fireball in the air, you can press side-Y to have him kick a vertical stream of flame straight at your opponent. So with his aerial attack alone, he has a three-in-one mindgame. Either: you can kick the fireball to hit them from a distance; instantly go for a side-Y to catch them off guard; or you can simply leave that fireball to float in the air so that opponents who decide to home you from the air (most commonly Weavile for some reason) will run in to it. It's hilarious when it happens.

As far as stages go, to make most of his field moves worth ANYTHING, it's best to go for the smaller stages if you're not playing on random. Off the top of my head, Neos City is a good stage with him. I don't really pay attention to each stage's length.

Duel Phase:
    With Blaziken you want to head into Duel Phase ASAP. That's where the meat and potatoes of his character really are. As I mentioned above, Blaziken loves to wall pressure his opponents, so make sure you get them nice and panicky once you put them between you and the wall. A good approach tactic is Blaze Kick, which can combo into a Flare Blitz if you press X just after the first kick; if you do this, you can even pierce counters. Now that you got them near the wall, you're probably thinking, "But what if they try to jump over me?" Two words: Sky Uppercut. Problem solved.

However be mindful: his Pokemon moves have recoil, so don't just throw them out willy-nilly. Personally I don't like using his Brave Bird attack all that much because it lags before he attacks, leaving him open for just about anything from grabs, counters, and other attacks. Heat Wave is fun to use if you read their approach: if you fully charged it and they take it near the end, they get an attack nerf. Blaze Kick is my favorite one to use though, since not only is it usually a pretty good approach attack, but it can combo into a counter piercing Flare Blitz, and trust me, you're gonna run into a lot of counters. Sky Uppercut while charged can combo into any air attack, which is nice, but I usually don't pull it off because, for me, it almost always throws them into Field Phase again.

I've seen a pretty common pattern on Ranked Mode: once you go into Burst Mode, the other guy's gonna either back up out of range or straight up gonna keep up his guard unless they too go into Burst Mode. If they insist on guarding until your Burst runs out, make them feel like the complete fool they are by spamming your grab. Trust me, you'll have the opportunity to do that. If they do, however, decide to get out of their block and try to challenge you, applaud their fruitless effort with a Burst Attack.

However I see that Blaziken has a very difficult time against Lucario. Since not only does Lucario throw his moves out faster than you, he also has range on you since most of his attacks involve a Bone Rush. On top of that, they WILL put you against the wall if you allow them to. To fix that, spam your light attacks, since that's about the only thing you have that's fast enough to challenge him in this state, and that's not even a guarantee. Or y'know, just charge a counter if they're not smart enough to go into an immediate grab. Which, to be honest, I'm not gud enough to go for that counter; always slips my mind.

Support:
    My favorite support set to use with him is Rotom/Togekiss. Rotom gives you an easy punish option for opponents who tend to attack from the air, like Charizard and at times, Garchomp and Gardevoir. Togekiss gives you a good Speed boost, and also recovers some HP for you, which is nice considering, well, all of your good moves recoil you for damage. Here's something actually funny with Rotom: as with Burst Mode, people's immediate instinct when seeing an active Rotom is to go into a guard. See, I understand wanting to guard against some supports, like Diglett and Reshiram, but Rotom? Rotom only hits you when you jump in the air. I can literally just walk up slowly and grab you; come on, guys, are you even trying?

Some other good sets are Cubone/Diglett and Frogadier/Evee, for obvious reasons that I'm too tired to explain because it is literally midnight as I'm writing this. Or just don't waste your time with those fools, and go for that God-Tier Magicarp instead. And only use Magicarp, because between you and me, I think Pachirisu is complete trash.

So overall, Blaziken is pretty solid. All he really takes is about 30 minutes- 1 hour to learn how to play. At least that's how long it took me to learn him. Though I feel there's still more to him that I should learn. I hope any of this helped.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nice work! I admire when people can think technical and play strategically like that, something that is just beyond me! I'll try and remember those tips when I play Charizard (I'm trying to level them all up for the titles and to help with achievements) and maybe it will help defeat him too!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Nice work! I admire when people can think technical and play strategically like that, something that is just beyond me! I'll try and remember those tips when I play Charizard (I'm trying to level them all up for the titles and to help with achievements) and maybe it will help defeat him too!

Thanks. I've been playing Blaziken for a while now.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    pretty awesome guide since I main blaziken too! Also in Field Phase, the aerial vertical fire stream thing has like a crazy ass range so I usually try to catch them off-guard straight after the Dual Phase -> Field Phase switch to jump straight back into Duel Phase. if you jump and press either left or right and then Y, you will use the vertical stream without having to do the little aeriel fireball thing.

A few more tips I kinda think are pretty good after playing Blaziken for a good few matches:

- his Hi Jump Kick (aerial A) charged is super safe in duel phase, but only if it connects. If it does, you will bounce off the opponent and are free to do another air dash to close the gap and go straight into more attacks, even if they block it. it's an awesome way to build pressure and they usually don't expect you to dash straight back in and attack after blocking the HJK.

-Brave Bird is actually amazing for comboing since the enhanced version has barely any start lag. you can combo into it straight after a Y,Y and it does high damage. I actually think the un-enhanced version has some cool uses too, as blaziken will fly backwards a little and then circle back and rush forward, which means the backwards movement at the start can be used as a super quick dodge and punish.

Blaziken's high stance will block weak projectiles, and his low stance will block weak low attacks, giving him a bit of armour, which is great because his low stance X can be chained into an X, X, sky uppercut (enhanced) combo which is awesome damage.

Unenhanced Heat Wave is a projectile which is good for super aggressive rush characters to catch em off guard.

Flare Blitz is fucking incredible as a rushdown tactic esp. in burst mode because people like to keep away from you.

I can't think of much more but just thought i'd like to add something lol. nice guide!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    pretty awesome guide since I main blaziken too! Also in Field Phase, the aerial vertical fire stream thing has like a crazy ass range so I usually try to catch them off-guard straight after the Dual Phase -> Field Phase switch to jump straight back into Duel Phase. if you jump and press either left or right and then Y, you will use the vertical stream without having to do the little aeriel fireball thing.

A few more tips I kinda think are pretty good after playing Blaziken for a good few matches:

- his Hi Jump Kick (aerial A) charged is super safe in duel phase, but only if it connects. If it does, you will bounce off the opponent and are free to do another air dash to close the gap and go straight into more attacks, even if they block it. it's an awesome way to build pressure and they usually don't expect you to dash straight back in and attack after blocking the HJK.

-Brave Bird is actually amazing for comboing since the enhanced version has barely any start lag. you can combo into it straight after a Y,Y and it does high damage. I actually think the un-enhanced version has some cool uses too, as blaziken will fly backwards a little and then circle back and rush forward, which means the backwards movement at the start can be used as a super quick dodge and punish.

Blaziken's high stance will block weak projectiles, and his low stance will block weak low attacks, giving him a bit of armour, which is great because his low stance X can be chained into an X, X, sky uppercut (enhanced) combo which is awesome damage.

Unenhanced Heat Wave is a projectile which is good for super aggressive rush characters to catch em off guard.

Flare Blitz is ****ing incredible as a rushdown tactic esp. in burst mode because people like to keep away from you.

I can't think of much more but just thought i'd like to add something lol. nice guide!

On top of that, Heat Wave charged is a really good kill confirm. Just knock your opponent down near a wall when they're low on health, and just pop a Heat Wave off. If you time it just right, they'll get hit just as they get up.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Since I've been maining Blaziken for about a good week or two, I think I feel confident enough to make a thread on how he works. Mind you, this is just my experience with the character, I may even actually use him differently than you. But I hope I actually teach you something you didn't know, yet.
    Hey there!

I've been alerted to this neat guide of yours by a couple people. We were planning on making a series of PokeCommunity Daily (side platform to PC with Pokemon-themed articles written by anyone on the community) articles on Pokken fighters. Although the first thread hasn't had any responses yet (Lucario), I don't see why wecouldn't start with one on Blaziken instead.

Are you interested in having what you wrote go up on the site as a Daily article? You'll be credited as the main writer, of course, and anyone else who contributed additional things (going to quote-notify you on that as well, Hi!) will also get credit. May throw in some images and do a proofread for typos first as well.

Hi! said:

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Hey there!

I've been alerted to this neat guide of yours by a couple people. We were planning on making a series of PokeCommunity Daily (side platform to PC with Pokemon-themed articles written by anyone on the community) articles on Pokken fighters. Although the first thread hasn't had any responses yet (Lucario), I don't see why wecouldn't start with one on Blaziken instead.

Are you interested in having what you wrote go up on the site as a Daily article? You'll be credited as the main writer, of course, and anyone else who contributed additional things (going to quote-notify you on that as well, Hi!) will also get credit. May throw in some images and do a proofread for typos first as well.

Sure I'd be interested

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    Next article's gonna be on

Blaziken Guide

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    So here's something I neglected to talk about: Blaziken's neutral X is useful for setting up combos or applying shield pressure. However, the move is slow, and requires a good amount of timing to do anything. But once it connects it puts the opponent through hitstun.

My favorite combo to do after the Neutral X is: up-Y>charged High Jump Kick>R1>aerial-Y>Blaze Kick, either charged or uncharged. If I'm in Burst mode, Neutral X will put the opponent through enough hit stun to connect a Burst Attack.

Back