• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

****boy

Years
  • So I think I'm super late to the party and all, but I just found out what fuckboy means. The title has the first and last letter of the curse word so you know what we're talking about. Didn't know it was a thing! According to Urban Dictionary, the definition is as follows:
    The male equivalent of slut, skank, whore, etc.

Steer clear of him, he's a total fuckboy. He'll act like he's interested in you, then he'll pull a shoot and scoot and you'll never see him again.

There is a now a exclusive word for shaming male sexuality on the same level as slut, skank, whore, etc. The term is relatively new, with Google Trends indicating that it became popularized early last year. So far I would consider it "trendy" and not entrenched, for a Google Trends search for "slut" indicates far more searches for the latter term, although I have to say that it seems to be as commonly used as "skank".

What are you thoughts on this? Is this a vehicle for female empowerment in denouncing sexual promiscuity? Or is it a childish and unnecessary invention? Would it make it more acceptable to denounce promiscuity or does it give us another reason not to judge others sexuality? Do you think it will catch on or is it just a fad? Is it feminist? Does it more so equalize the position between men and women when it comes to matters of sexuality? Is this a word that you could see yourself or your social group using? How do you think it will affect discussions of gender, the War of the Sexes, and the culture wars at large?

Thoughts? I have my opinions on this, but I want to hear from you first.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Initially, I thought it means 'gigolo', but then it actually kinda means 'player'.

I'm not sure if that term is a vehicle for female empowerment. Either way, it's unnecessary! Words like, 'Douchebag' and/or 'player' (kinda) cover the meaning of 'f---boys'. And why do we need to equalize the genders through derogatory terms? That's no different than pulling yourself to a low level.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    ...oh, honey. It's been around for a long time.

Think of it as when people use the word 'cracker'. Does it exist as a racial stereotype? Sure. Is it commonplace on social media? Sure. Is it a response to longtime denigration? Sure. But is it comparable in severity and widespread impact as the n word? It is not. Fuckboy is similar. Male promiscuity, and male sexuality at that, will never be shamed on the same level as female sexuality and fuckboy is just another part of that.

I think this is the one time I'll say this, but I think you've read far too much into the word.

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • It's been around for quite a while.

It doesn't appear to be to be meant for "female empowerment," and it isn't "feminist," at all. It goes against the feminist idea that one should not shamed for their sexual behavior and gender.

Phrases that demean someone for their gender and sexuality are much more likely to be sexist than they are feminist. But ****boy is nowhere near on par with gendered slurs against women, as men hold sociological power.

Edit: Harley Quinn said everything I wanted to, but better.

Years
  • Think of it as when people use the word 'cracker'. Does it exist as a racial stereotype? Sure. Is it commonplace on social media? Sure. Is it a response to longtime denigration? Sure. But is it comparable in severity and widespread impact as the n word? It is not. ****boy is similar. Male promiscuity, and male sexuality at that, will never be shamed on the same level as female sexuality and ****boy is just another part of that.

I think this is the one time I'll say this, but I think you've read far too much into the word.

I'm going to disagree with you here, and the thing is that I believe there is a place for denouncing promiscuity in the world. I think a much much larger proportion of the population is for denouncing promiscuity than for racial oppression on the level that the n word is used. I think people recognize that race is something that people cannot change, but sexuality in a way that offends or hurts others is something that is fully under someone's actions. People have had bad experiences with promiscuity, have values against promiscuity, and I think even liberal people who are personally opposed to libertine sexuality - cheating especially - would "benefit" from having such a word.

...oh, honey. It's been around for a long time.

please i'm new to this :)

Look, it might become a thing. It might be more than a fad. And it might catch on. The word itself is a bit vulgar in containing the f-word but I definitely see the market for a word that's not a derivative of a word shaming women for people who care more about sexual morality than gender equality and I'll wager that's more people than you think. I think many people have a deep drive to shame other people's sexuality, and while I'm not the best person to comment on whether that's wrong or right, I see it as definitely existing.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I'm going to disagree with you here, and the thing is that I believe there is a place for denouncing promiscuity in the world. I think a much much larger proportion of the population is for denouncing promiscuity than for racial oppression on the level that the n word is used. I think people recognize that race is something that people cannot change, but sexuality in a way that offends or hurts others is something that is fully under someone's actions. People have had bad experiences with promiscuity, have values against promiscuity, and I think even liberal people who are personally opposed to libertine sexuality - cheating especially - would "benefit" from having such a word.

I have no disagreements with this.

Look, it might become a thing. It might be more than a fad. And it might catch on. The word itself is a bit vulgar in containing the f-word but I definitely see the market for a word that's not a derivative of a word shaming women for people who care more about sexual morality than gender equality and I'll wager that's more people than you think. I think many people have a deep drive to shame other people's sexuality, and while I'm not the best person to comment on whether that's wrong or right, I see it as definitely existing.

Oh, I'm well aware how commonplace it is becoming and how it fills a little niche in the Shame Market. I just don't think it will have the same sheer impact as slut, bitch, etc. It certainly doesn't at this point in time - it's more often a meme than anything else. I don't think we disagree, I just think that because it is new to you, you don't really get that it's not, like, an important word.

The more proper description for a f**kboy is those dudebro type of guys who constantly beg women for dudes and who are just plain disrespectful to women in general. I've never heard them described as "sluts".

honestly I hear the slut comparison more often but this is also very true
    maybe it just depends on how the word is first described to you

Years
  • I don't see why we need a word exclusively for either gender really. The entire concept of different words for different genders confuses the hell out of me. We even go as far to differentiate between people with the exact same traits and jobs by gender. This isn't a "step forward" a step forward is removing gender segregation.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • This is one of those moments where the black guy shakes his head and mumbles, "white people... " under is breath. It's literally just a derogatory term for a guy in general. Sorta like a snake, or someone who's heat... a dead beat. Not somebody you wanna be associated with really.

Nothing to do with women. Nothing to do with gender inequality. Nothing to get worked up over.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • You can thank the fan-made FNAF games of the same name for popularizing that word. I feel it's just another new term to describe those other slang words that will eventually be replaced by another term with the same meaning in another decade.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Oh I had no idea what ****boy meant to be honest. I was under the impression that it was somebody who lies, or is deceiving in some way. I guess that is correct, but with a focus on sexuality and promiscuity.

I think it's a bit too vulgar to become as mainstream as slut or whore. You can also use those two words to describe men and women equally. I think it'll probably die out as a term. But what do I know - I thought YOLO and swag had their days numbered but they're still around! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    ............ People will create all kinds of profanity. It is best to ignore and forget about what people say. Seriously that is a weak form of profanity. It is like how media took the N-word and merged it other words to make it sound more daring.

I get called names by people but I will always remember that person is going to stay an under achiever.

It is like how somebody could reference all dove white skinned women with red hair as being a Bruce Jenner. Every woman with those features looks like Bruce Jenner. So now other women will just start getting tanned and dying there hair any other color to avoid being called Bruce Jenner.

People who thinks profanity or any form of slang or name calling is a must are not grown ups at all. It is like a playwright hiding among theater people just decides to make up a new profanity. Then some kid with no idea of anything starts using those words.

Here is a slang term I created while writing in my college class. Churchie. A person who is religiously insane to a point where it is damaging to family or friends relationships could be described as being Churchie.

Years
  • Can we not bypass the censor when typing fuckboy anymore please? It means I have to come in here and fix them all -_-

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
    Years
  • I'll be honest, I've heard this used a ton but never actually knew what it meant. I thought it was just a generally derogatory word used to describe anyone who you didn't like. On quite a few websites I've seen people using it, but not with specific context that would equate it the definition.

I'd have to say it's likely just a fad used on the internet, I don't think it'll catch up as much for public shaming like the word slut has done.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    When i first heard this word I thought it meant poser or douche. I've rarely seen it used in a way to shame in the same vein slut is. Although I never thought slut was particularly harmful, honestly.

Years
  • JUST GONNA LEAVE THIS HERE, THIS SUMS UP ABOUT HOW I FEEL PERFECTLY

https://jezebel.com/the-definition-of-****boy-is-not-what-bad-trend-pieces-1725157828

You don't get to change the meaning of words because all your white friends are using it incorrectly. This isn't the evolution of language—it is an outright hijacking. And the fact that these people think they have any right to do so is white privilege of the highest order.

Actually, that is exactly how language evolves and that is something that occurs whether people think they have the right to do so or not.

I'd buy that fuckboy originally meant

A person who is a weak ass pussy that ain't bout shit.

but we'll see where "white girls" take it.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • i didn't know people were calling guys that
    i just call guys like that a man slut {XD}
    anyhow, is it not fair that if men call women slut when she is....
    that we call the guys like that when they....
    i don't see a problem​

Years
  • It sounds a bit too similar to similar words including variants like '-toy,' etc., and in that sense is unlikely to convey what it intends. On the other hand, other common variants such as 'male slut,' etc., were basically just a 'slut' without the stigma, and hence unlikely to come across as too condemning, and more likely to be used in merely domestic contexts.

In general, though, people did of course have to exercise discrimination sexually, in a certain sense, to mandate otherwise would be merely either socially mandated rape or prostitution. They could hardly discriminate in such a way for themselves if they did not hold to some values in such matters. Words like 'slut' merely express these, and hence such characterisations were unlikely to be shaken.

The specific use of such was a response in some vaguely controlled form to the gender dynamic of a society. However, attempts to balance this out by stigmatising males just as much might have, by themselves, seemed feministic, but on the whole would merely average out into generic but only partially expressed prudishness, and hence would be unlikely to receive earnest support in spirit from decidedly non-prudish movements like feminism (at least excluding earlier feminists like Arria Ly, and similar tendencies in Priscillian, the Shakers, and other similar Christian movements.) In that sense they were unlikely to emulate the social significance of words like 'slut,' but rather were confined to fairly small scenarios.

anyhow, is it not fair that if men call women slut when she is....
    Not only males use such terms, of course.

Here is a slang term I created while writing in my college class. Churchie. A person who is religiously insane to a point where it is damaging to family or friends relationships could be described as being Churchie.
    The Protestants, Calvinists, etc., were way ahead on this one, with 'papist' and so on. Of course, the term has little connection to the church, let alone the capitalised 'Church' associated with Catholicism, and in that sense could be problematic, while of course terms like 'fundie' are already used for it and sufficient.

It is a slightly ironic definition, however, because of course, "I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." You could say it's not a question of extent, then.

Back