• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Broken Pokémon Black save file - Need help!

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    So for about a week I have been playing Pokémon Black on emulator (MelonDS) and ran into a problem. A few days ago I was completely unable to save my game, as the game would freeze every time I tried. From there I started using save states to save the game, as in-game saving was broken. But I noticed something peculiar just recently: The time displayed in-game is literally stuck, and the time/date displayed in the save menu has question marks in it for some reason. My guess on how this happened was me changing the time on my PC which must have screwed up and froze the time in-game, followed by me not being able to save.

Image of the save menu: https://gyazo.com/84cc830b40119959568eda59f7e51128

My game also got stuck on a black screen when I got to the top of Dragonspiral Tower, which I assume is related to the saving and time/date issue.

Would there be possibly any way to edit the save file and change the time/date so I can continue to save as normal?

All help appreciated 🙂

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    So for about a week I have been playing Pokémon Black on emulator (MelonDS) and ran into a problem. A few days ago I was completely unable to save my game, as the game would freeze every time I tried. From there I started using save states to save the game, as in-game saving was broken. But I noticed something peculiar just recently: The time displayed in-game is literally stuck, and the time/date displayed in the save menu has question marks in it for some reason. My guess on how this happened was me changing the time on my PC which must have screwed up and froze the time in-game, followed by me not being able to save.

Image of the save menu: https://gyazo.com/84cc830b40119959568eda59f7e51128

My game also got stuck on a black screen when I got to the top of Dragonspiral Tower, which I assume is related to the saving and time/date issue.

Would there be possibly any way to edit the save file and change the time/date so I can continue to save as normal?

All help appreciated 🙂
    MelonDS has a local wireless bug which causes that problem: https://melonds.kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=207

I recommend to switch to Desmume, it's better emulator.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    MelonDS has a local wireless bug which causes that problem:

I recommend to switch to Desmume, it's better emulator.

Damn, that sucks. But would switching to Desmume with my save file instantly fix the issue, or is my save permanently broken?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    But would switching to Desmume with my save file instantly fix the issue, or is my save permanently broken?
    It should fix the issue, I'm actually pretty use that your save file isn't corrupted at all because the date of last save is okay in your screenshot. The game freezed before writing the save file because the date and time were incorrect.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    It should fix the issue, I'm actually pretty use that your save file isn't corrupted at all because the date of last save is okay in your screenshot. The game freezed before writing the save file because the date and time were incorrect.

So I am currently trying to import the MelonDS savestate to Desmume, but I don't think it's possible since Desmume only uses its own save state files... Is there any way I can use the melonDS save state in Desmume? Otherwise there's no way for me to use it in Desmume.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    UPDATE:

I am currently trying to find someone someone who can send me a copy of their Pokémon Black save file (roughly at around Icirrus City) so I can use that to play and hopefully not get it corrupted. My save file is pretty much done for as it's all on a save state.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
    So I am currently trying to import the MelonDS savestate to Desmume, but I don't think it's possible since Desmume only uses its own save state files... Is there any way I can use the melonDS save state in Desmume? Otherwise there's no way for me to use it in Desmume.
    You need import the actual save file (it's in SAV format). Do this by copying the file to the same folder as the ROM of the game. Start the emulator and open the ROM file before clicking "Import Backup Memory" from the File menu.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    But that's the problem... My last actual save was towards the start of the game so there's no point

Back