• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bulky Offense UU

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    I see tons of OU threads being posted up everywhere but very little of the lower tiers which is kind of depressing seeing as I personally prefer battling in UU or lower.

This is probably my favorite to use UU team this Gen and is overall very effective despite the fact that I have only one physical attacker.

Bulky Offense UU

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
    Ability: Torrent > Mega Launcher
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin

Starting off with the single handed most valuable member of my team. Regular Blastoise was prized as one of the best spinners in UU last Gen due to its being able to reliably switch into a lot of potent physical attackers and live to tell the tale. With it receiving a Mega Evo as well as some nice buffs to its defenses and Special Attack it can perform its previous role even more effectively since it is more difficult to switch into its attacks. Scald is reliable STAB while having a nice burn chance further crippling most physical attackers, Dark Pulse gives it an option against potential spin blockers as well as SE damage against Jirachi/Metagross/Bronzong and even a chance to flinch, Ice Beam rounds out its coverage against Grass types looking to switch in as well as hitting Flygon and Haxorus for solid damage, and lastly Rapid Spin to keep my side of the field hazard free. With its improved bulk and the support from the rest of my team this Blastoise will be in the battle for the long haul.

Bulky Offense UU

Florges @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flower Veil
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 80 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Aromatherapy

Next, a solid Specially Defensive partner to my Defensive Blastoise in Florges. This fairy flower thing is a very rare case in that it is a Pokemon with utterly useless Single Battle Abilities and yet it is so effective at what it does that it doesn't even care! It can take special hits like a champ as well as keeping the rest of my team and itself at high HP and status free thanks to Wish and Aromatherapy. Though it looks sweet and nice this Pokemon has got some pretty respectable Special Attack and STAB Moonblast will deal a nice chunk to anything that doesn't resist it as well as having a chance to drop the opponent's Special Attack. Protect is on the set just to scout what move a Choiced Pokemon wants to lock itself into, receive its own Wish without worry, and generate a little bit extra Leftovers recovery.

Bulky Offense UU

Entei @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Sacred Fire
    - Stone Edge
    - Extremespeed
    - Bulldoze

I am a big fan of AV Entei despite it being a pretty uncommon set overall. A great offensive presence with solid coverage and even a bit of priority...what's not to love? AV Entei is one of the best switch ins to Chandelure and Yanmega in UU and can live some heavy Special Attacks that would otherwise KO it (LO Nidoking's Earth Power and Specs Hydra's Draco Meteor). STAB Sacred Fire will deal heavy damage thanks to it having a high BP and coming off of an Adamant max invested Atk stat. It even has a 50% chance to burn which is always nice. Stone Edge gives some decent coverage but the accuracy is a bit shaky. ESpeed lets me revenge kill weakened foes thanks to the +2 priority which helps a lot since the team is rather slow. The last move of the set is Bulldoze which probably seems a bit odd BUT it helps alleviate the lack of speed on this team pretty substantially. I did have Iron Head over it to begin with but really Fairy types haven't been giving me a lot of issues.

Bulky Offense UU

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Sludge Wave
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic Spikes

Nidoqueen is on of my favorite Pokemon and the fact that she can wall Fairy/Fighting types so easily as well as Galvantula makes her an easy fit on this team. Despite her being max invested in defense she still packs a mean punch thanks to her solid coverage and the Sheer Force boost. Earth Power and Sludge Wave are STAB while Ice Beam gives her a bit of coverage against Flying types and Dragons that generally give her a bit of an issue. Last slot I went back and forth between Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes for a VERY long time. The lack of Rocks is a bit unfortunate but at the moment I have being able to utilize TSpikes pretty effectively and helps wear down my opponent's team even more.

Bulky Offense UU

Shaymin @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Seed Flare
    - Earth Power
    - Air Slash
    - Rest

I believe I had a Tangrowth over Shaymin originally but Suicune was becoming a bit of an issue as well as offensive MBlastoise so I added an offensive Shaymin to simply power through them as well as force some switches letting my Tspikes spread even more. Seed Flare is pretty damn strong and the chance to greatly lower SpD can ensure 2HKO's it wouldn't have been able to pull off before, Earth Power is for coverage hitting the Fire and Poison types that don't care about Seed Flare for solid damage, Air Slash is for Grass and Bug types that resist Shaymin's other attacks, and the last slot goes to Rest just so I can keep it at high HP and because Natural Cure removes its Sleep once it switches out. I am seriously thinking about adding Giga Drain over Rest though since I have lost some battles due to Seed Flare missing or simply running out of PP....I also very rarely am able to even use Rest so it doesn't see much usage anyway.

Bulky Offense UU

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Recover
    - Knock Off

Sableye was added just so I would have a way to spin block even though offensive Blastoise can muscle through it pretty easily 1v1. Priority burn and Taunt is also pretty nice to spread some status to things that aren't affected by TSpikes, can spread status of their own, recover HP, or Defog. Priority Recover just lets Sableye be the annoying Pokemon that it is so well known for and I have never seen a set without it. Lastly I run Knock Off just to remove Assault Vests or healing item's my opponent my have plus it gets a STAB boost and can hit everything for some damage unlike Night Shade who can't touch Normal types.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what does everyone thing? Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!​

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef gives Florges optimal bulk all-round.

Just saying, the only time you use 248 HP instead of 252 is when doing 252 HP EVs would make a Pokemon's HP divisible by 8. Blastoise's, Sableye's Florges' max HP aren't divisible by 8 (their absolute max HP are 362, 304 and 360, respectively).

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    @PlatinumDude

I understand and am aware that is the suggested "optimal" EV spread on Florges but seeing as this team can handle physical attacks better than it can special I decided to play with the spread a bit to let it still handle certain physical attacks while being able to survive some more substantial special ones. I honestly can't count the times I have lived with less than 10 HP with this spread opposed to the "standard one".

That being said I always use 248 HP on my Pokemon so they take less damage from entry hazards because of having an odd HP number. This team being a bulky offensive one means I will be switching around a lot so taking the least amount of damage possible from any hazard is greatly appreciated.

As I already mentioned this is by far my favorite UU team I have made this Gen @Polar Spectrum so I'm glad you think it is neat :)

Bulldoze is honestly a pretty underrated move and works nicely on Entei.

-----

Anyone think of any possible move or Pokemon changes? I like having options and I am always willing to try new things out ^^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • @PlatinumDude

I understand and am aware that is the suggested "optimal" EV spread on Florges but seeing as this team can handle physical attacks better than it can special I decided to play with the spread a bit to let it still handle certain physical attacks while being able to survive some more substantial special ones. I honestly can't count the times I have lived with less than 10 HP with this spread opposed to the "standard one".

That being said I always use 248 HP on my Pokemon so they take less damage from entry hazards because of having an odd HP number. This team being a bulky offensive one means I will be switching around a lot so taking the least amount of damage possible from any hazard is greatly appreciated.

As I already mentioned this is by far my favorite UU team I have made this Gen @Polar Spectrum so I'm glad you think it is neat :)

Bulldoze is honestly a pretty underrated move and works nicely on Entei.

-----

Anyone think of any possible move or Pokemon changes? I like having options and I am always willing to try new things out ^^
    Having 248 HP doesn't make a difference in hazard damage for the Pokemon I mentioned earlier.

Let's take Blastoise as an example. As I mentioned, its max HP is 362. Divide that by 8 and you get 45.25 (45 rounded down). Now, 248 HP Blastoise hits 361, 1 less than that. Divide that by 8 again and you get 45.125 (45 rounded down again). In other words, Blastoise takes 45 HP damage upon switching into Stealth Rock, no matter what because 362 and 361 aren't divisible by 8.

Now let's go with Sableye's HP:
    -302/8 = 37.75 (37 rounded down)
    -302/8 = 37.625 (37 rounded down)

In other words, Sableye will be taking 37 damage from Stealth Rock regardless of 252 or 248 HP EVs.

As a general rule of thumb, if a Pokemon's absolute max HP isn't divisible by 8 or 16, you use 252 HP EVs. If the opposite is true, you use 248.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Fair enough...suppose I had forgotten about that detail >.>

Made the 248 > 252 HP EV changes on Blastoise, Florges, and Sableye.

Any other suggestions or comments? Like I said before I am open to move set and Pokemon changes so by all means give me some ideas! :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I think your team might have issues with bulky water types, which there are a lot of in UU (opposing Mega Blastoise, Milotic, Vaporeon, Crocune, Tentacruel, etc). Shaymin is your only real answer to those, but it doesn't wanna eat an Ice Beam (or a Poison attack from Tentacruel).

don't listen to me i can't make good teams

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    The bulky water types you mentioned do slow this team down a bit I will admit but if they are weakened at all then Shaymin can simply overpower them with LO Seed Flare or Earth Power in the case of Tentecruel. The team handles Crocune decently enough if I have my TSpikes up and can keep it from resting with Sableye.

The bulky Water types littering the tier is honestly the main reason I opted for TSpikes over Stealth Rock in the first place since that constant residual damage is a definite life saver. Really I was considering running a more bulky variant of Shaymin as well to help with this issue...mainly a Leech Seed variant since it continues to rack up the residual damage this team needs to function well on top of healing my team members who lack their own form of recovery (MBlastoise and Entei mainly since the team kind of falls apart when they aren't around). Even then I would have to be leery of using Leech Seed against Tentecruel because of Liquid Ooze.

The only way I could really handle these threats 100% of the time though would be to add an Assault Vest Toxicroak, which I freaking love using, to this team since it walls every single Water type you just mentioned. It would be a welcome addition since it adds another physical attacker to the team with solid STAB and coverage options but I honestly would have to rework the team relatively heavily in order to balance everything out again. It is an option though so thank you for bringing it to my attention ^^

Back