• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Can't replace Hero's backsprite

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    No matter what I do, when I replace the Hero's back sprite using unlz, it doesn't work ingame.

I'm not talking about an off color palette, im talking all glitched and crap.

And I'm making sure it matches up...

Can someone walk me through exactly what I'm doing wrong here?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    before you open your ROM with Unlz-GBA, make sure you delete the <YourRomHack.GBA>.pal and the <YourRomHack.GBA>.spr files first... those two files are found inside the folder where your ROM hack is located.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Yes, that's the point. Before you open the ROM with Unlz-GBA, you'll have to remove those two files so the tool can scan your ROM for new changes that you've made when you open it again. ;)

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    Well either way it doesn't help.

So I open up unlz and find where the backdsrite of brendan is. It looks all cut up until I hit the - sign once. Then it shows the four positions vertically.

What I'm doing is at this point just clicking the "import..." button and selecting the picture I want to import.

The picture I'm importing here is the four sprites that I'd like to use in a vertical format like the brendan ones once I click - once.

Then it writes it in and I close unlz fine. But ingame, it's all glitchy. Again, I don't expect the color palette to match up, but that's definitely not the issue. The sprite is all jumbled and mixed up. And when I go back to it in unlz it DEFINITELY doesn't look the same, I also have to hit - twice to get it to look normal.

Finally, once I've done that to a rom, I can't overwrite that picture again. Nomatter WHAT I do, it ALWAYS gives me the "compressed size too big" error if I try to overwrite anything I've overwritten once. I know it's not the picture because it's the same damn picture I just used.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    —,—
    Red's backsprite in FR is uncompressed, hence Unlz-GBA can't get it, which also means I can't get it. Can you upload the image you are trying to put into your ROM so I can test it?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    Huh, the FR one I had seems to have disappeared. It wasn't the one I was using after all, I was actually using one that's Ash. Oh well, either way here it is:

View attachment 73703

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Here are your problems...
    First, the width should be 64 pixels, not 72.
    Second, the background color of the image is not the first color.

Spoiler:

Well, anyway, here's a properly indexed one. The positioning might need some fixing, but eh~

6oq4av.jpg

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    Huh. My unLZ seems to think that it needs to change it.

I'll try again. ^.^

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    It literally won't let me change the palette.

If I use unLZ to select a different palette, then click "write to rom" it simply reverts to palette 1039, the default for the trainer. If I use APE to edit this palette, it tells me it isn't safe to replace, and replacing it turns the entire palette black. Yipee.

I want to change palettes, because all the trainer sprites are on 1039 too, and I don't wana mess them up, but it won't let me change... and I can't even edit the palette properly anyway. Aaarrrgghhhhhhhhh.

On another note, unLZ STILL gives me a compressed size too large error if I EVER try importing an image again. This makes it doubly frustrating because every mistake I have to take a fresh copy of the rom.

And it gives me the same error regardless of if I try it on my rom hack, a fresh Pokemon Ruby rom, or another completed rom hack.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I suggest you try again with a clean Ruby ROM. Then open it with Unlz-GBA (after removing the .spr and .pal files). And then...
    - Go to the male hero's backsprite. Click the minus (-) button.

Spoiler:

- Click the [Next Pal] button twice.
    Spoiler:

- Click the [Import] button to get your indexed sprite, and then the [Write to ROM] button. Finally, have these settings.
    Spoiler:

Back