• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I hope I'm not late on this, but for what it's worth Tek, I used to do that often. That is, getting a level 1/5 Pokemon and going through the region again and such. It's difficult since the rematches are usually higher level and all, but still pretty fun. I would do that as a challenge.

Sorry I haven't been around much, guys. I've been really bogged down with school lately and I haven't even been playing Pokemon much. I am really excited for next month though and ORAS the month after. :) You'll see me more then hopefully...unless I'm too busy playing challenges... :P

Tek

Years
  • I hope I'm not late on this, but for what it's worth Tek, I used to do that often. That is, getting a level 1/5 Pokemon and going through the region again and such. It's difficult since the rematches are usually higher level and all, but still pretty fun. I would do that as a challenge.

Sweet so it's at least feasible! What region/s did you play?

Sorry I haven't been around much, guys. I've been really bogged down with school lately and I haven't even been playing Pokemon much. I am really excited for next month though and ORAS the month after. :) You'll see me more then hopefully...unless I'm too busy playing challenges... :P

Well, life tends to happen. Unless you're in a phase of playing Pokémon to the exclusion of everything else... not that I'm doing that, just saying. (Actually I am doing that)

But hey, if schooling pays off, you'll have more time to Pokémon :D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Well, the number of Nuzlocke variants that get submitted are, imo, a sign of stagnation, which I am trying to avert. Honestly I can't think of a way to make another challenge that would be like yours, you sort of wrapped up the idea of running a lap around the region, and there really wouldn't be much reason to add more if your thread allows variants.

Tek

Years
  • Well, the number of Nuzlocke variants that get submitted are, imo, a sign of stagnation, which I am trying to avert. Honestly I can't think of a way to make another challenge that would be like yours, you sort of wrapped up the idea of running a lap around the region, and there really wouldn't be much reason to add more if your thread allows variants.

The only thing that comes to my mind would be starting off with a full team instead of going around and catching stuff.

Which I could add as an optional rule, but that doesn't fit with the backstory I whipped up... :'(

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I usually did Hoenn since I mainly did that as a kid and didn't want to restart my Sapphire where I stored everything. So it works for Hoenn, at least. I probably did it in Diamond too. I did a lot of things when I was younger...I did monotypes without realizing I was even doing a challenge. :P

And well, I've been trying to catch up on non-Pokemon games I've gotten this year when I do have free time. So there's that. Started Chrono Trigger recently! It's really good!

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • I'm considering creating a "Survival Challenge" (still working on the title... maybe "Team Slot Elimination Challenge" instead?).

The basic premise would be this:

MANDATORY RULES:
    1) You may catch as many Pokemon as you want, wherever you want. However, you cannot catch multiple Pokemon of the same species. Pokemon that have multiple evolution lines (Eevee, Wurmple, etc) or are different based on gender (like Nidoran) are an exception, in which case you are allowed to obtain only 1 of each evolution line.
    2) If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead, and cannot be used again. Even when dead, it still counts towards rule #1.
    3) You start with a maximum of 6 Pokemon on your team. Each time one of your Pokemon faints, that number is permanently reduced by 1.
    4) You fail the challenge if all of your Pokemon team slots are eliminated. Therefore, if you have your maximum allowed number of Pokemon and you white out, the challenge is ended and you have failed. If you white out with less than your maximum number of allowed Pokemon, you are allowed to continue the challenge with Pokemon from your PC boxes, but you must still eliminate team slots equal to the number of Pokemon that fainted when you whited out.
    5) The normal rules do not apply to HM Slaves, but they cannot be used in battle.

Optional Rules:
    O1: The use of legendary Pokemon is forbidden.
    O2: You must nickname all your Pokemon.
    O3: You must replace one team member after obtaining each gym badge. The team member that has been replaced cannot return to the team until after obtaining the next gym badge.

Hard Mode: After obtaining the fourth gym badge, you lose a team slot if none of your Pokemon have fainted yet. After obtaining the eighth gym badge, you lose another team slot unless two or more of them have already been eliminated.

Extremely Hard Mode: After obtaining each even-numbered gym badge, you lose a team slot, unless the loss of said slot would cause you to fail the challenge. This means you have to tackle the Elite Four and Champion with no more than two Pokemon on your team.

Thoughts? Ideas? Discussion? Questions?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Ooooo, cool man! I was gonna do a survival challenge but it has very different ideas. Your challenge seems kinda like a health bar, but I can't really think of a comparable enough name to what you came up with.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • Ooooo, cool man! I was gonna do a survival challenge but it has very different ideas. Your challenge seems kinda like a health bar, but I can't really think of a comparable enough name to what you came up with.

After getting it all written down, I'm thinking "Team Slot Elimination Challenge" would be the most fitting name, even if it is a bit unimaginative. I think I might just put it together. Need something to play for myself that I DON'T record.

Reactions: Tek

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • How about Party Elimination Challenge? OR PARTYLIMINATION CHALLENGE!

Party Elimination might work, but since you're not so much eliminating the party members as the slots on the team, I think Team Slot Elimination works better. PARTYLIMINATION isn't terrible, but I don't care for it for the same reasons. I think I'll just be boring and go with Team Slot Elimination (TSE) Challenge. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Any thoughts concerning rules, optional or otherwise? Or is there anything in the proposal that seems unclear?

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I agree with Team Slot Elimination. When I think of Survival Challenge, I'm reminded of an old challenge where you weren't allowed to use Marts or Pokecenters, and had to survive off of the wild.

Edit: Wait, what? Is that myrrhman???

Tek

Years
  • Party Elimination might work, but since you're not so much eliminating the party members as the slots on the team, I think Team Slot Elimination works better. PARTYLIMINATION isn't terrible, but I don't care for it for the same reasons. I think I'll just be boring and go with Team Slot Elimination (TSE) Challenge. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Any thoughts concerning rules, optional or otherwise? Or is there anything in the proposal that seems unclear?

So, it's a challenge to not get fainted? Faints are penalized with the permanent loss of a team slot... And optional team slot decay - for masochists.

Team Slot Elimination sums it up I think. {:3}

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • So, it's a challenge to not get fainted? Faints are penalized with the permanent loss of a team slot... And optional team slot decay - for masochists.

Team Slot Elimination sums it up I think. {:3}

Yup, I agree. After writing it all down last night, I liked the idea even more, so I went ahead and created a thread which is now approved. I'm playing through my challenge as we speak lol. Anyway, the thread is approved and up in this forum, if you feel like checking it out.

Sommer_IdEA

Wonder Traded from a box of Lucky Charms
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2014
    I've got an idea I'm currently trying!
    It's a Wonder Trade Locke for X/Y!

What you do is that you catch 6 random pokemon (including your starter) and you wonder trade them to make a random team. Then you go through the game with them and if any faint then you HAVE to wonder trade them as fast as POSSIBLE.
    (Sorry for the caps! ^-^")

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I just had a moment of inspiration on a way to improve my pride and joy, The Monotype Challenge! This inspiration comes from Tek's Stewardship Challenge, which I just figured out is amazing. Y'all should try it out. Anyway, the idea is to add an additional line to the sign up where people can opt in for "Ranking" so to speak. The idea being, that if you opt in you will be added to the challenger list and will be held accountable for any broken rules. If you opt out, you can post updates on your challenge but have much more freedom to bend the rules to the way you like to play, like trading or hacking an entire team at the beginning, like I know some haters that probably will never see this post have an issue with. Do you guys think this will work? Will there be people out there that would actually take this option? I plan on testing this idea in the Monotype Challenge if you guys think it might work before I try to implement it in other challenges.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • I just had a moment of inspiration on a way to improve my pride and joy, The Monotype Challenge! This inspiration comes from Tek's Stewardship Challenge, which I just figured out is amazing. Y'all should try it out. Anyway, the idea is to add an additional line to the sign up where people can opt in for "Ranking" so to speak. The idea being, that if you opt in you will be added to the challenger list and will be held accountable for any broken rules. If you opt out, you can post updates on your challenge but have much more freedom to bend the rules to the way you like to play, like trading or hacking an entire team at the beginning, like I know some haters that probably will never see this post have an issue with. Do you guys think this will work? Will there be people out there that would actually take this option? I plan on testing this idea in the Monotype Challenge if you guys think it might work before I try to implement it in other challenges.

I really like this idea. Some of us just play challenges for the fun of it, rather than trying to get our name on some list of people who've successfully completed it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Remember that No EXP challenge from a few months ago? yea... I never gave up.

Link

This is getting hard.

(also one question)

BigRoot Network commented:
    You've got a great channel. We have a good offer for you. Please check your YouTube messages.

I don't see this comment anywhere else other than notifications. why?

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I was thinking of making a Challenge but I'm not really sure if my idea is sort of a different take on the idea of a Challenge run. Instead of having any rules or restrictions, me idea for a Challenge is just to get all the Battle Frontier Gold Symbols (ie, beat the game 100%) before ORAS comes out.

I just think it would be a really cool idea because the Battle Frontier is really hard and I feel like not many people have actually beaten it fully, so if we can get even a small group of people trying to do it we could share info and give each other tips so that we can all hopefully beat Emerald once and for ahead of ORAS.

If that doesn't really fit the remit for what this section is, I get that. I could make the thread in the 3rd gen section, but I think it would work better here so it people might more readily adopt it as a personal challenge as opposed to being just a generic Battle Frontier thread. I just thought I'd ask if I was on the right track before going and making the thread.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I was thinking of making a Challenge but I'm not really sure if my idea is sort of a different take on the idea of a Challenge run. Instead of having any rules or restrictions, me idea for a Challenge is just to get all the Battle Frontier Gold Symbols (ie, beat the game 100%) before ORAS comes out.

I just think it would be a really cool idea because the Battle Frontier is really hard and I feel like not many people have actually beaten it fully, so if we can get even a small group of people trying to do it we could share info and give each other tips so that we can all hopefully beat Emerald once and for ahead of ORAS.

If that doesn't really fit the remit for what this section is, I get that. I could make the thread in the 3rd gen section, but I think it would work better here so it people might more readily adopt it as a personal challenge as opposed to being just a generic Battle Frontier thread. I just thought I'd ask if I was on the right track before going and making the thread.
    Well it would work here, but it should be noted that it would have a limited shelf life, so to speak. Having the time limit be Before ORAS is Released it does become a challenge, but once that time passes, the challenge isn't there any more. So you're free to make it as long as you're fine with it being closed not long after release.

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    I have a really basic idea which could be similar to something else, I'm not sure, but feel free to expand on it however you want if it's not already done.

Basically, you can only use one Pokémon Center. For example, you could miss out one in the first town and then go to the next one, but that is the only one you're allowed to go to for the game. Some optional rules could be you can't use fly, so you have to walk all the way back, or you can't choose a Pokémon Center and you are instead taken back to your house.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back