• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile!?!?!

Who is the best starter!?

• Total voters

Esurified

Flamethrower Rekindled
    Years
    Red Storm said:
    I like Meganium myself. Its actually one of the stronger grass types if not the strongest.

NO WAY!! Venusaur or Vileplume will kill that too-cute Pokemon! Utterly almost ONE HIT K.O. if I teach them both Toxic or PoisonPowder! Meganium is alright if ya want to have a challenge in beating the game or just love grass or probably want to have a bunch of butt-ugly wanna-be cute Pokemons.

Years
    Well, I do like Cyndaquil the best...Although I got really far with Tododile.
    I sorta got the same length with them. I haven't finished the game with my Meganium yet, but I'm getting closer! ...Although I haven't really played for a while.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Esurified said:
    NO WAY!! Venusaur or Vileplume will kill that too-cute Pokemon! Utterly almost ONE HIT K.O. if I teach them both Toxic or PoisonPowder! Meganium is alright if ya want to have a challenge in beating the game or just love grass or probably want to have a bunch of butt-ugly wanna-be cute Pokemons.

completely... disagree...

Meganium is perhaps the only grass type who stands a chance against flying because it knows counter. With counter on Meganium plus healing moves it can drive Zapdos nuts.

With reflect and light screen it can stall out more PP than a lot of other Pokemon can in GSC days. Even in RS now it's still an annoying one to fight against. With both of these strategical moves it can last a lot longer than any other grass types can, only lower than Celebi (due to heal bell, recover and legendary stats).

I'll rather use Meganium as a physical attacker for grass type. With Earthquake it got pretty good potential (btw it can knock out Vileplume and Venusaur much faster than the other 2 can knock out Meganium even if they have Sludgebomb which is never really recommanded.) Body Slam is always annoying due to paralyzation. Can also learn ancientpower which gives some opponent quite a shock. With the great varieties for its movepool Meganium's moveset is rather unpredicatble. Is it going to to stalling, or a countering Meganium?

Meganium is certainly not a Pokemon only if you want a challenge for the ingame (well the ingame can never gives challenge to anyone sadly). It has just as much potential as all other starters.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Actually, Leech Seed Celebi with Recover or Rest is very, very painful. They call them Celery I believe... they are usually banned. ^_^;

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    i don't see why Celebi should be banned... what else can Celebi do but...

-heal bell
    -recover
    -leech seed
    -psychic/water pulse (RS)

it's not like it's illegal or anything... if the opponent used a legendary... where's your legendary to go up against it? :)

Rift

Let's Venture Onward!
    Years
    I choose Cyndaquil, cause that whole evolution line are my fav Pokemon! Oh, i have about 15 Celibi (cloned) and its actually not that great of a fighter! i mean my level 65 Typhlosion and my level 72 Snorlax took out Celibi (its level 100) so, Celibi may be rare, but its attacks sometimes suck!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Celebi is a support/staller, and never a great fighter... i use the moveset i listed before and it's great to me...

how in the world can it lose to another pokemon whose level are so much lower than it? is there problems with their stats (like box trick isn't done yet if this is in GSC?)

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Most people consider Celebi with Leech Seed 00ber, whereas any other combo not. IT has enormous staying power. When I used Celebi, I liked Psychic Giga Drain Recover Heal Bell.
    It's sad Celebi's Giga Drain on GSC doesn't quite take out Quagsire in one, many a times a Cursesire beat my Celebi because of that fact.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    ... k even if Celebi can't faint cursesire in one Giga Drain, how does Quagsire survive the 2nd Giga drain? (unless you just happen to run out of PP at this point... Giga drain is rather a poor attack mainly because of PP)

***be Celebi cannot faint cursesire in one Giga drain, it should be at least in the red or low yellow zone... the 2nd giga drain should really do the job... if it has rest then 3 hit of giga drain. if it has minty rest then make it 4...

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The problem is if Quagsire is Cursed up, one is all Celebi gets. I mean if someone passes Mean Look to Quagsire, they Curse up then I send out Celebi after my other Pok?mon has fainted...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    well if it is cursed up already... then Celebi will be gone from the next earthquake/physical attack. I thought you're tallking about during the process of Quagsire cursing up... (thank goodness curse is no longer a tm as curse is too deadly before...)

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The scenario was:

Let's say I have something like Raichu out. The foe has Umbreon. Now I'm smart enough to swap to a pseudo-hazer, but back then I left it out. Umbreon Mean Looks me, and passes it to Quagsire. I can't damage it or I do very little, and then when it's fully Cursed it takes out Raichu. If I send out Celebi, it doesn't quite finish off Quagsire and I lost two Pok?mon.

Ahh, I had no idea what I was doing a year or so ago. ^_^

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    heh... what was i doing a year ago...

right... playing around with a Lanturn. Then i realized that i can learn confuse ray so i erased thunderwave with confuse ray... Then awhile later i am using Lanturn against a trainer. I used confuse ray to confuse the opponent, and the ingame trainer used some useless move against me. Then when i used thunder (without rain dance... man was i stupid) on the opponent and it paralyzed him. Then by pure luck i see the "new" strategy of parafusion...

*and this marks the beginning of me studying Pokemon metagame deeply, and i still like to use Lanturn today partly because of this too*

Esurified

Flamethrower Rekindled
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    completely... disagree...

Meganium is perhaps the only grass type who stands a chance against flying because it knows counter. With counter on Meganium plus healing moves it can drive Zapdos nuts.

With reflect and light screen it can stall out more PP than a lot of other Pokemon can in GSC days. Even in RS now it's still an annoying one to fight against. With both of these strategical moves it can last a lot longer than any other grass types can, only lower than Celebi (due to heal bell, recover and legendary stats).

I'll rather use Meganium as a physical attacker for grass type. With Earthquake it got pretty good potential (btw it can knock out Vileplume and Venusaur much faster than the other 2 can knock out Meganium even if they have Sludgebomb which is never really recommanded.) Body Slam is always annoying due to paralyzation. Can also learn ancientpower which gives some opponent quite a shock. With the great varieties for its movepool Meganium's moveset is rather unpredicatble. Is it going to to stalling, or a countering Meganium?

Meganium is certainly not a Pokemon only if you want a challenge for the ingame (well the ingame can never gives challenge to anyone sadly). It has just as much potential as all other starters.

No way in heck! Meganium are the worst grass Pokemons! You'll be all day trying to beat my Venusaur! Those attack only delay defeat.

Back