• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Play] Cities: Skylines –– Recreating Newcastle, Australia

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
Years
  • Hello world!

Welcome to my new Let's Play series. Here I'll be posting screenshots and updates of my current Cities: Skylines build, Recreating Newcastle, Australia.

This first post is just here to establish the format, and provide you with some basic information about the build. The second post will be of me making the map I'm using, and the third post onwards will be the actual build.

WeKS7dB.jpg

Please note: I'll be using • bullet points, bold text and colours to improve readability.

Wait, what-castle?

• Situated on the eastern coast of Australia, Newcastle is the second largest city in the state of New South Wales––right after Sydney, which is two hours to the south––and the seventh largest metropolis in Australia.
    • It's also my home town; I've been living in the Greater Newcastle area for my entire life. We call ourselves Novocastrians, a nickname we stole from Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK... whose name we also stole.
    • As you can see from the image above, Newcastle has some stunning beaches, a beautiful harbour, and... a world-renowned coal industry. Blech!
    • Its history and density make it a great fit for Skylines, with complex highways, multiple rail networks, and more natural resources than you can poke a stick at.

Project overview

• This is going to be a long-term project. I'm expecting it to take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on my motivation levels.
    • I've already started it twice, and both times I've had to scrap my progress due to flaws with the maps I was using. On this third attempt, I decided to make the map myself.
    • While I am using a large number of mods, I will be playing this city with the vanilla progression system. That means $70,000 starting cash, one tile, milestones, and lots and lots of pollution. Don't worry, I'll be expanding to 25 tiles eventually!

Goals

I've compiled a list of goals to achieve during this build. Most of this is obvious if you know the game, but I'll be reposting the goal list with each post and checking off things as they are achieved.

I'll be pointing out any goals I achieve in each post, so you don't have to go comparing the lists for differences. :P

Spoiler: List of goals
    An asterisk (*) next to an item indicates I will explain what this means in a later post.

⬜ Incomplete ✅ Completed

Map creation

⬜ Create the height map
    ⬜ Import height map into game and correct errors
    ⬜ Add trees and natural resources to map
    ⬜ Add highways to map
    ⬜ Add rail lines to map

Networks and buildings

⬜ Recreate the central 10x10 km road layout as faithfully as possible
    ⬜ Build a rail network with all stations included
    ⬜ Build a bus network with as many lines included as possible
    ⬜ Build a light rail network with all stations including old tram lines*
    ⬜ Build a ferry network with all stations and some new ones*
    ⬜ Build an airport for passengers and cargo
    ⬜ Build a seaport for passengers and cargo

Park Life

⬜ Have 10 city parks
    ⬜ Have an amusement park
    ⬜ Have a zoo
    ⬜ Have all nature reserves marked correctly and detailed*
    ⬜ Have at least one of each park at level 5

Industries

⬜ Have an ore industry area
    ⬜ Have an oil industry area
    ⬜ Have a farming industry area
    ⬜ Have a forestry industry area
    ⬜ Raise all to level 5

Campus

⬜ Have a university campus
    ⬜ Have a trade school campus
    ⬜ Have a liberal arts campus
    ⬜ Raise all to level 5 (prestigious)

Statistics
    Once all other goals are met –– subject to change

⬜ Population > 200,000
    ⬜ Average happiness > 90%
    ⬜ Average health > 90%
    ⬜ Traffic flow > 80%
    ⬜ Highly educated > 90% (no Hadron Collider)
    ⬜ Fire hazard < 20%
    ⬜ Crime < 5%

Cid

Years
  • I love it. My friend is a huge fan of this game so I'll make sure to share this thread to them. Good luck, Spectrum!

Back