• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Classical Music Club

Event Playlist: do you prefer a link to a youtube playlist or the list of pieces?

• Youtube Playlist and post the link

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Post the list of the pieces (like it's been done up till now)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
  • Username: Lavender
    Do you play an instrument?
    Sadly no, i'd love to play violin though.
    Do you have a favorite composer?
    Debussy!
    How about a favorite piece?
    Debussy - Jardins Sous La Pluie "Gardens in the Rain" or any piece of music with violin in it

I LOVE the violin it's the best instrument in my opinion.
    Speaking of violin, this is one of my favorite violin pieces!

Years
  • Username: Lavender
    Do you play an instrument?
    Sadly no, i'd love to play violin though.
    Do you have a favorite composer?
    Debussy!
    How about a favorite piece?
    Debussy - Jardins Sous La Pluie "Gardens in the Rain" or any piece of music with violin in it

I LOVE the violin it's the best instrument in my opinion.
    Speaking of violin, this is one of my favorite violin pieces!

Omg, I'm so happy to have you here!

Debussy, such an amazing composer! I love some of his pieces, like Clair de Lune, la mer, the arabesques and I really like Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune!

Another violin lover! 😍
    Salut d'amour, such a nice piece! I'd recommend you to click the Gardevoir pic in my signature to find out my favourite violin piece!

Years

• THE WHEEL OF COMPOSERS: 3RD SPIN

Hello, everyone and sorry for being late this month! Unfortunately, I had to deal with some things and I was busy. I haven't forgotten my assignment though! Here's a little something I want to add abut my journey with Mozart for this month.

Spoiler:

However, now it's time to spin the wheel again! Let's see what happens!

Screenshot_20231009_115907.png

Even if it's late, happy month to everyone!

[/B]

Last edited:
    Years
  • I didn't know Handel's music very well. I tried to find some information about him and his music. According to Wikipedia, he's best known for his Messiah, which is indeed very famous and for his Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks . His Concerti Grossi also seem to be really appreciated. Despite having listened to several Bach's pieces, I'd love to have a better knowledge of music history to compare these two composers, because to my ears, their pieces have indeed something in common. Bach and Scarlatti were born in the same year of Handel (1685), which is a fun thing in my opinion. He was an exponent of Late Baroque music and he was a great Organ player, indeed he also wrote several Organ concerti. I have read that he was appreciated especially for theatrical operas and that the interest for his works has grown especially in these last years, when musicians gained a bigger interest in reproducing Baroque music in a more historically accurate way.

Now, talking about the music itself, here's what I enjoyed the most about Handel. Music for the Royal Fireworks is very good and I especially appreciated III. La Paix and VI. Menuet II. I recommend everyone to listen to that piece, because it's pretty interesting and considering the short length of the movements, it is quite easy to listen to, making it a great choice for people who are just starting to listen to classical music.
    Water Music Suite 1 was also pretty good and I especially enjoyed the final Allegro part in II. Allegro, IV. Air was such a good one too. Water Music Suite 2 was good and I especially liked II. Hornpipe and IV. Lentement.
    However, my favorite was without any doubt Water Music Suite 3. It sounded very enjoyable to me and it was very easy to follow. I enjoyed especially II. Aria. Allegro and III. Menuet.

In general, I really like Handel's style, making his pieces sound very regal and pretty epic. I will say that sometimes it sounds quite repetitive, even within just one movement. The major detail I could find in most of his pieces is how rich they sound. I don't really mean that they're full of instruments, but rather that the instruments involved all have a great spotlight in the music, giving that powerful and regal feeling.

Last edited:
    Years

• THE WHEEL OF COMPOSERS: 4th SPIN

Hello, everyone this moth we're right on time!

First of all, a little update: I realized that I wrote stuff about Mozart in the "3rd spin" post, but I hadn't changed the colour, so nothing could be read, but now I fixed it!

I have well expressed what I think about Handel and his most important pieces, so I recommend you to take a look at my previous post!
    I haven't really found any interesting video or additional source to show you, but if you have something to share to know something more about Handel, you're very welcome to!

It's time to spin the wheel again! Let's see what happens!

Screenshot_20231101_115447.png

Now, that's an interesting one! Locatelli was a Baroque composer and I listened to some of his pieces already and I really like most of them! As far as I remember, we generally don't know too much about him and he hasn't many pieces. This is a great opportunity to know more about a great composer!

Happy November to everyone!

[/B]

Years

• Hello my dear classical music fans! I am sorry for being late this month, but that's because this is a special one: there's Christmas!
    So, instead of carrying on with the wheel of composers (which will likely start again from February or March), I am preparing something special for Christmas. Let me introduce you The Christmas classical music playlist!

It's a very simple activity: from December 15th to December 25th, I will add one new classical piece to the playlist (keeping the official playlist below always up to date). How can you participate? While I am the creator and keeper of this club so I'll keep adding a piece everyday, you can advise a piece everyday or whenever you feel like.
    The theme is Christmas, but it can be wider than what you might expect: indeed, it's not really only about pieces that recall Christmas or that are often played during Christmas time, but it can also be a piece that you want to share as a gift or maybe a piece that has nothing to do with Christmas but it's personally important to you for Christmas time. So, indeed you can be creative about it!

That said, please let's not forget our dear composer Locatelli, who really impressed me. So, here it is a resume of my impressions and thoughts about his music.

Spoiler:

Here instead we have The Christmas classical music playlist:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Today's piece is a bit particular because it's probably not itself connected to Christmas at all, but when I first listened to it the first thing that came to my mind was snow falling down, a quite cod evening and the city is getting covered by snow. I wonder what you might imagine while listening to this wonderful piece... I am talking about Debussy's Arabesque N.1!
    It's indeed one of my favorite pieces among Debussy's ones!

Years
  • Just wanted to say that it's great to come back here each day and see what new classical piece got added to the playlist. My knowledge of classical music is fairly limited, so I can't really recommend any winter-themed song, but I'm having fun discovering some new composers this way.

Years
  • Hello everyone, in spite of some events in my personal life, I couldn't (and wasn't in the mood to) update the playlist in time. I'm sorry for that, it should be fixed now. I appreciate seeing you more involved in the topic and I thank you for the feedback given. I will definitely try to keep this format in the future, so expect more playlists centered on a certain theme! I'm glad if you enjoyed the playlist and if you discovered some new composers or pieces : )

That said, even though late, I wish you all a happy New Year! <3

Years
  • I am long overdue for a visit to this thought-provoking club.

I will give some respect to Handel, especially the sacred music. I have enjoyed The Messiah. The part that stays with me most is the oratio He Was Despised. It's a warm, comforting lament, or at least it begins that way, there's the sudden key change to C minor i.e He gave his back to the smiters that always catches me off guard, gives it a more stressed and angry sound as it continues that adds more complexity to the aria. My favorite contralto Dutch singer Aafje Heynis is the interpreter I go to for this.

This club sent me on a quest to educate myself about Locatelli, and glad I did. I was just blown away hearing Oistrakh perform the haunting op 6. #7 violin sonata- Au tombeau. As someone who likes romantic and expressionist music I found this baroque music to be really accessible baroque, the emotion was so intense. I can feel the composer's tender longing in those slow melancholy tempi, and long drawn-out harmonic notes. The piano blended with the violin so beautifully that at first I didn't even recognize that there were two instruments, it was like they were one voice.

I shall continue to pay to homage to the Baroque era, and leave some music here. Anyone care for Vivaldi's Four Seasons? Spring is approaching in my part of the world, and this is a composition to celebrate nature's ever-changing gown, and the joy of being alive.

Again, it's good to be back in this club. The music raises me up.

Years
  • I shall continue to pay to homage to the Baroque era, and leave some music here. Anyone care for Vivaldi's Four Seasons? Spring is approaching in my part of the world, and this is a composition to celebrate nature's ever-changing gown, and the joy of being alive.

Again, it's good to be back in this club. The music raises me up.

I am very glad you took a serious listening to Handel's and Locatelli's music. I think they're both good composers and I am especially happy that you listened to Locatelli, because, as I said in one of my previous posts, it's not very well known, while I think that he was a source of inspiration for some later composers. Very content of the fact that this club is actually making people, and I put myself in the first place, new things and new music.

About Vivaldi's 4 seasons, I would say they're very often played, which is a reason why a part of the classical community likes them a bit less and this raises and interest topic of discussion that I'd be happy to pursue further.
    In any case, there's no doubt we're talking about a masterpiece. All the seasons are very interesting, but especially evocative. I think that Spring is one of those, even though I would say I enjoy Winter more than the others.

I just popped in this club and I got to say that I found a 'gold' mine of content, my ears have never been blessed by something as emotion-provoking as some of these pieces of art

I am very glad <3

And I hope you consider sticking around and eventually joining 😊

Last edited:
    Years

• Hello my dear classical music fans! I have listened to your feedback and now that I am free again, I can finally unveil a new event for the Classical Music Club!

Just like the Christmas event, we're going to make a playlist for the upcoming Spring on March 20th! Considering that today it's the 10th, we have a 10 days count down, so we are gonna extend the event till Easter!
    Unrelated to your believes, Spring and Easter have always been deep and sensitive moments for music, literature, and art in general. The concept of birth and rebirth has been widely admired and referenced by many artists. This is a great opportunity to looking forward for the arrival of Spring, celebrating the beauty of the new, and admiring the nature of changing. While sometimes we just get used to a new season and forget its deep meaning, this time we could just reflect on it, in our own way, even simply through our ears.

Similarly to the Christmas event, I am making a new playlist that I am keeping updated everyday till March 20th (maybe extended to Easter) and I'll try to add a piece everyday for you to listen and discover. You are invited to give your contribution to the playlist by adding the classical pieces that make you remember about Spring and its themes, like birth and change. It can even be just personal (for example: a classical piece that maybe it's not itself very related to those themes, but that maybe you listened to during Spring or maybe an unrelated piece that you heard in performance during Spring, ecc.). And I really wish you a happy month <3

SPRING CLASSICAL MUSIC PLAYLIST:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Starting from VisionofMilotic's post, I'd say we have a perfect fit for the first element of our Spring playlist!

I shall continue to pay to homage to the Baroque era, and leave some music here. Anyone care for Vivaldi's Four Seasons? Spring is approaching in my part of the world, and this is a composition to celebrate nature's ever-changing gown, and the joy of being alive.

Indeed Vivaldi's Four Seasons are very evocative and are often even a good way to get into listening to classical music. So, indeed, go check this pieces out, if you hadn't already done it!

Now, my addition, This is quite personal, I'd say. Indeed I am aware that maybe listening to this piece people might get a different feeling from mine. And that's something very cool about some classical pieces, they can be differently interpreted, at times.
    The piece I am talking about is Brahms - Violin Concerto, Mov. 1, which I don't think is itself related to Spring, but listening to it it's one of the things that came up to my mind. There's wonderful orchestration, one of the most iconic violin solo entrances in violin concertos, and then, what I considered very tied to the theme of rebirth: the first passage, which to me sounds a bit dark, just transforms into something of beautiful and more joyful. The 1st movement is relatively long and has some other passages that are not as joyful, but there's also some repetition and variation, which can pretty much be interpreted as something that changes. I overall feel this joyous feeling for most of the movement.
    Also, at 4:11, I just think it's very suggestive and evocative because it feels like I listen to birds singing lol.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • I think Debussy - Jardins Sous La Pluie would be a good piece for the playlist!

Spoiler:

I think this track perfectly matches is other name "Gardens in the rain" it sounds just like the rain showers spring brings, but in piano form.

Years

• Hello, everyone, I gently ask you to answer to my poll on what to do with Event playlists. Do you want me to only post the link to a Youtube playlist I can make and update everyday, or do you prefer me to post every time the list of the classical pieces under the event post everyday (like I did the last time and doing now)?

Back