• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Clean up in Wonder Trade?

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    Anyway at first I thought WT was so exciting. My first trade? An Oddish nicknamed for a level 30 Pikachu that apparently had been traded multiple times before.
    Man, I thought Pikachu was so cool until I got up to the Safari zone.""

Then it was cool because you were having fun using it. And it's OK to move on and find something different cool. :)

It would be kinda nice to have Pokemon organized into something like tiers. For instance, harder to get Pokemon like legendaries could be in a higher tier, and easier Pokemon to obtain like a Bidoof or a Zigzagoon would be in a lower tier. You would only be able to receive Pokemon from the same tier as the Pokemon you trade. That way, you won't trade something like a Rayquaza and get a Magikarp (I know Gyarados is really good, just needed an example). This system isn't perfect, but it would certainly make Wonder-Trading much better.

It would certainly make it easier to break even in the zero-sum game. :\

Super_Melons

Supreme
    Years
    How can you tell if a pokemon you get off wonder trade is cheated or real? because I got a level 71 shiny crobat on X & Y a while ago and a level 75 delphox with pokerus recently, and how can I tell if they are legitimate or not?

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
    I have no idea. I have got so many. They account for about 90% of my shiny collection. Additionally, I got a shiny Houndoom and shiny deoxys from Wonder trade last night.This actually scares me because sooner or later I'll probably be accused of cheating even though it's really just luck.

Check their summaries. If they say ridiculous things, they're probably fake. My sister got a level 1 shiny Eevee that says it was met at level 100, which is impossible because they can't go down from the level you met them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    The thing is though, you're always going to get people getting rid of their common Pokemon, that's life. I've done it, especially when I started playing XY in 2013, more recently though I've been experimenting with breeding for IVs so when I get rid of Pokemon they're usually 4/5IV, but the thing is - they're not great! I've been putting Cleffas on there most recently because I want a 5IV Clefable.

I do like your idea of making it a better place, I've often thought about it - but realistically it's not going to happen :P. I think you need to treat Wonder Trade quite literally as a lucky dip. The idea is that you really do not have any idea what comes through, you lucky people who get Shinies and Arceus' off of it are using it for exactly what it was intended for and getting super lucky.

I'm also going to be honest, I've used it to get rid of Hacked Pokes. I'm not proud of myself on that one - but ultimately, if you're not going to use the hacked Pokemon competitively then what's the harm? Filling the Pokedex is everyone's dream :)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Ive got some real scores from wonder trade, shiny cobalion, Shiny 5 perfect IV Pangoro. Even on GTS, someone sent me a shiny Porygon-Z with 5 perfect IV's only probably is a crappy jolly nature.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Ah I just sent a ton of shiny Phione over Wonder Trade but I didn't really get anything in return xD Mostly Zigzagoons, which was a bit disappointing especially because many people had messages such as "Shiny pls" but they weren't offering any >.> I did get some random Pokemon for my Pokedex, but nothing really cool or even evolved unfortunately haha.

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
    Years
    Cleaning up Wonder Trade is a fool's errand. As long as any pokemon is allowed to be dumped into it, people will continue to throw in their "garbage poke's" in hopes of getting something better. Also, what about the "wonderlocke" players? They contribute to the mess by trading in the first pokemon they find in a route for their playthrough.

The only way to truly clean it up is for Gamefreak to make separate wonder trade sections to trade in. Example: Legendary only Wonder Trade where only legends can be traded, Shiny only Wonder Trade, Starter only Wonder Trade, etc. They won't do that though because it takes away the very thing that makes WT special: the wonder of getting a random pokemon from anywhere on earth. There will always be that one person who puts in a zigzagoon in hopes of getting an arceus.

Clean up WT as much as you want, tell your friends to only put in good stuff, it will not matter. Just enjoy that we even have Wonder Trade to begin with. When I was young playing Red and Blue on my gameboy, I never imagined we would one day have the ability to trade with people in Europe or Africa without having to link up physically. It's truly amazing, the things we are capable of now.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    By definition, the Wonderlocke players are depositing just the right proportion of early-game Pokemon into Wondertrade. However, for them to change the balance at all, you would need a significant proportion. Most players won't have even heard of Wonderlocke so the few who are playing it won't make any difference either way.

There are other ways for Game Freak to clean up Wondertrade. One would be to fix the proportions of pokemon statistically. If they replaced a few Zigzagoons with under-represented Pokemons from later in the game everyone would be happier. While they were at it, they could filter out hacked Pokemon the same way.

But I think the main thrust of your argument was that cleaning up Wondertrade would require some action form Game Freak, which I totally agree with.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
    Cleaning up Wonder Trade is a fool's errand. As long as any pokemon is allowed to be dumped into it, people will continue to throw in their "garbage poke's" in hopes of getting something better. Also, what about the "wonderlocke" players? They contribute to the mess by trading in the first pokemon they find in a route for their playthrough.

The only way to truly clean it up is for Gamefreak to make separate wonder trade sections to trade in. Example: Legendary only Wonder Trade where only legends can be traded, Shiny only Wonder Trade, Starter only Wonder Trade, etc. They won't do that though because it takes away the very thing that makes WT special: the wonder of getting a random pokemon from anywhere on earth. There will always be that one person who puts in a zigzagoon in hopes of getting an arceus.

Clean up WT as much as you want, tell your friends to only put in good stuff, it will not matter. Just enjoy that we even have Wonder Trade to begin with. When I was young playing Red and Blue on my gameboy, I never imagined we would one day have the ability to trade with people in Europe or Africa without having to link up physically. It's truly amazing, the things we are capable of now.

I already posted that no, cleaning up Wonder Trade would not work. We already came to a conclusion. So I don't think this idea needs to be expanded on more. Did you even read all my posts?

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
    Years
    I already posted that no, cleaning up Wonder Trade would not work. We already came to a conclusion. So I don't think this idea needs to be expanded on more. Did you even read all my posts?

Yeah, I skimmed through them. Since the thread was not locked or closed, I thought we could all state our opinion on the matter. I mean, since you seem to have put the issue to rest, why keep this thread open then?

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
    Because I can't figure out how to close it, otherwise I would have weeks ago. Could someone tell me how?

Oh and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I see now that you were just supporting a point.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Because I can't figure out how to close it, otherwise I would have weeks ago. Could someone tell me how?

Oh and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I see now that you were just supporting a point.

Only Moderators can close threads, but I personally didn't close it because maybe people would still want to bring up more points, though if another moderator wants to close it they can. Also, there's no need to shut people down or reply at all if you're done discussing the topic :)

It's unfortunate that the Wonder Trade is full of early game Pokemon, but I hope that we have some new Gen 6 games in the future, because what is considered "early game" in X might not be the same for Omega Ruby; when I was completing the National Pokedex (2 more Pokemon left!), I actually got several Pokemon that I needed or would have had to go catch myself on X and trade to Alpha Sapphire through the Wonder Trade, and these Pokemon were considered "junk" -- Floette, Dedenne, Fletchling, etc. Maybe when they make Gen 7 games, they will have a Wonder Trade option that will allow you to Wonder Trade with users of XY and ORAS by disallowing you to select Gen 7 Pokemon. This would be cool because remember how in BW2, Riolu was technically an early game Pokemon but only obtainable through breeding in other games? Maybe they can include some Pokemon like that in the next games--in the context of the new games, these Pokemon would be "junk" but to players of older games, maybe something cool.

Back