• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Complete encryption for pokemon essentials

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
    Years
    Ok, as some of you (If not all) know, PSDK has a strong encryption system that protects the scripts/graphics/etc from being stollen. But essentials don't have a unique encryption system. One has to compress data normally like any other RPG Maker XP project. But, the compressed data is easily stealable and some malicious people can easily steal the data. Is there any way, we can encrypt everything like PSDK in essentials? Can any Software or Script do so?

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    I might not have the answer you're looking for, but it seems encrypting game assets only secures them to a certain degree. In order for the game to use the assets on the users side, it would have to be decrypted at some point, right? If that's the case, while it is in use in decrypted form, wouldn't there always be the possibility of some slightly-skilled user being able to just grab that data?

I guess the bottom line is that by keeping game assets encrypted while not in use offers at least some protection to them, it will never make it impossible to steal them. If you let me know what kind of language you use for this system, I might be able to offer some further insight on how to set up an encryption system in it, but no promises.

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
    Years
    I might not have the answer you're looking for, but it seems encrypting game assets only secures them to a certain degree. In order for the game to use the assets on the users side, it would have to be decrypted at some point, right? If that's the case, while it is in use in decrypted form, wouldn't there always be the possibility of some slightly-skilled user being able to just grab that data?

I guess the bottom line is that by keeping game assets encrypted while not in use offers at least some protection to them, it will never make it impossible to steal them. If you let me know what kind of language you use for this system, I might be able to offer some further insight on how to set up an encryption system in it, but no promises.

Well, RPG MAKER XP and Essentials, both use RGSS.

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    Well, RPG MAKER XP and Essentials, both use RGSS.

I had to look that up, but it appears it's a form of Ruby for game development. I really don't know much about Ruby at all, but after a quick search, it appears there are various encryption modules for the Ruby language, though I'm not entirely sure it can be used in RGSS, and I'm also not sure if it will help you with what you are trying to accomplish. Regardless, here's the link to some of those kits: https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/categories/encryption

Aside from that, I mean... Say you used some strong encryption like AES-256 to encrypt all the game assets as they are in storage. Besides the fact that they would have to be in unencrypted form in order for the user to use them, where exactly would the key be stored? If there's no way to hide the key, all someone would have to do is steal that key, and they could decrypt the game assets easily. I'm not saying this doesn't at least add some security to the system, but if the key can't really be protected anyway, it might be a lot easier to just resort to simple XOR encryption for the game assets. All that means is simply taking a key of some amount of bytes and XORing it with all the data you want to be encrypted. Decryption is simply the exact same operation. This would be very easy to set up, you would just have to make it so that it cycles through the key bytes as it encrypts, since the key would likely always be smaller than the data to be encrypted/decrypted.

It's up to you what you want to do, honestly I wish I could come up with a better system to help you really protect your game data, but I'm not really sure there is a way to do that how you want it to. That's all I can offer, sorry I couldn't give you better help. Good luck on your project!

Back