• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Complete FireRed Upgrade

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2021
    I am sort of new to romhacking (I messed around with some 3rd gen romhacking tools when I was a kid around 10 years ago, mostly just map editors, changing pokemon locations, etc). This looks like a very promising place to start, now that I have more experience programming. Are there any tools you recommend that are compatible with this as a base? For example, are there any map editors, tools to improve quality of life, or anything else that you'd recommend?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I don't know if this is answered or not. I've been playing around with cfru features, and figured out how to dynamax. but is there a way for max raid dens (like in pokemon unbound)?
    Complete FireRed Upgrade

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2023
    When running the DPE through CMD, the make.py command returns nothing. No errors, nothing at all. Is there anyone who can help?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    When running the DPE through CMD, the make.py command returns nothing. No errors, nothing at all. Is there anyone who can help?

Probably python isn't on PATH or there's some other problem with your python installation

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    How do Z-moves work when even the other moves won't show up? Matter of factly how the fuck does any of this work? Reading the configuration PDF does not really help.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    How do Z-moves work when even the other moves won't show up? Matter of factly how the fuck does any of this work? Reading the configuration PDF does not really help.

..Yes.

but seriously what have you done so far, did you apply dpe first, did you change your config file in the src folder, to 16 evolution methods yet.

What's going on, how can I help?

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    Lel I just decompiled it is all, basically I just want to know how these things work. Did not apply DPE for context. So so far I can make the test.gba and all I just kinda want to know how things work. Since like it says Z moves are in it but I ran the game till I got the Pokedex to see wat its like that opened it in PGE to just see things and test the waters since I was curious what it did. In the files I find stuff for example like all 897 Pokemon listed or the Z moves ofc. I just fail to see how they work and this applies to other generation moves too. Like in the gifs clearly it shows that moves up to generation 7 are in here and animated but I am unsure how you would get these to show in the rom hack as well. I just have lots of questions in general too like how dynamax even works since the PDF configuration was even more vague on that. Or how to set up mugshots with the rival fight and leaders for another example.

So basically I really have not done anything. I just poked it a bit to test the waters to see what questions I would need to ask.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Lel I just decompiled it is all, basically I just want to know how these things work. Did not apply DPE for context. So so far I can make the test.gba and all I just kinda want to know how things work. Since like it says Z moves are in it but I ran the game till I got the Pokedex to see wat its like that opened it in PGE to just see things and test the waters since I was curious what it did. In the files I find stuff for example like all 897 Pokemon listed or the Z moves ofc. I just fail to see how they work and this applies to other generation moves too. Like in the gifs clearly it shows that moves up to generation 7 are in here and animated but I am unsure how you would get these to show in the rom hack as well. I just have lots of questions in general too like how dynamax even works since the PDF configuration was even more vague on that. Or how to set up mugshots with the rival fight and leaders for another example.

So basically I really have not done anything. I just poked it a bit to test the waters to see what questions I would need to ask.

ok, well when you actually set it up, you'll need to apply dpe first, rename copy that output file into your cfru folder, and rename it BPRE0 and then run that.

CFRU adds the rules and graphical stuff, while dpe adds the actual data for most things.

To find things when editing its recommended to use a dedicated program for working on C projects so you can move through all the files at once.

I use microsoft visual studio 2019 community version. (that's the free one) you'll have to look up a guide for setting that up, if you decide to use it.
    But there are other programs as well.

For the most part, the advanced stuff isn't really explained, so if you don't know already you'll have to dig around until you figure it out.

CFRU is useful for everyone (to an extent) but it was really made for the power users that already knew how to do things the old/hard way.
    So a lot of explanation for the potential things you can do with it, just isn't there.

Simply said, you can get the easy stuff done without too much problem, but you should give up on ever understanding everything about how it works.

But I can say that its a C-injector, so is different from both binary and regular decomp, its sort of a mix of both. Somethings are left in the C files, while others are only accessible with asm, which is which? You'll know when ya know.

And that's about it, I think.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    I actually found out some of the stuff I was looking for but will relay what I meant in case others find it confusing.

EXPAND_MOVESETS

Adds level up moves for each Pokémon
    which can be found in
    src/Tables/learnsets.c. This file also
    includes learnests for expanded Pokémon
    which are commented out by defeault.
    Comment this line if you would rather
    use the learnsets created in the Dynamic
    Pokémon Expansion. Commenting this
    line out without properly having

Basically I see CFRU has all the moves even the gen 8 ones which is impressive but when I opened them up in PGE I could not find them. However I was finally able to find where the learn sets are located by luck due to this and Bulbasaur had Seed Bomb a gen 4 move on its learn set so the moves are there just not in PGE and that is A-okay with me as long as I know how to mod them in the source code. My only question would be this implies that DPE and CFRU have different learnsets and I wonder which one is better. It would have also been nice if they told us where the learnsets were.

As for other questions I have I guess they would be:

How does dynamax work? I am just curious as its not really explained unlike megas are in documentation.

What to do first the DPE or CFRU but you answered that however when going over the files I think a few of the defines said to comment some out if using DPE and it would be nice if I knew all of them and if they got listed.

One of the sexy features I saw above to was vs mugshots like vs the rival or gym leader and not just for the Elite Four. Still trying to figure out what that is and how that works. As of the moment I think those are my only ones as I think the other features are already inserted in or are explained well enough.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    Well Bulbasaur is not evolving into Ivysaur when I do the DPE. I do quick runs t test everything out and Bulbasaur will not evolve when hitting 16.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    In general stuff I am putting in DPE is not carrying over. I tell it to teach Charmander to learn Metal Claw at 13 again. What happens when it hits 13? Jack Shit is what happens.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    On another update G3T sill says Bulbasaur evolves at 16. I changed it to 7 and started a new game. H still does not evolve then so evolutions are not even working right.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    Another another update, deleted CFRU and DPE, reinstalled, applied the same clean vanilla firered rom and now the attack shows up and the Pokemon evolve.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Well Bulbasaur is not evolving into Ivysaur when I do the DPE. I do quick runs t test everything out and Bulbasaur will not evolve when hitting 16.

unless you put change the cfru config number of evolutions to match the default in cfru evolutions will be broken.

So you need to set your cfru config file to evo per mon 16, instead of the normal 5.

then before you build again you need to clean the repository with the command

python scripts//clean.py all

after that all the files will be updated and old build data will be removed so any new changes you make are applied.

Also you can only make learnset changes from "either" DPE or CFRU, you need to decide which one you're going to do, and adjust your config as such.

By defualt DPE expands moves, by in the cfru config, there's a line that says "expand moves with CFRU" (or something either way find it and read what it says and either comment it out or uncomment it) If you expand moves with cfru, the dpe changes are ignored, if you don't then it uses the learnsets from dpe.

Either way, whenever you make a new changes you need to run clean.py all before you build again or it won't take.

That's why I was agreeing to the first thing you said, a lot of stuff that should be explained isn't.

also most old programs aren't able to read cfru data because it moves and expands the rom, so I recommend you use a tool like HMA instead. also after you build read your offsets file to find where everything is, that will also help.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    "So you need to set your cfru config file to evo per mon 16, instead of the normal 5."

Did that on the first one but idk what made it mess up, installing CFRU and DPE all over again fixed the issue though.

Guess my next bit of experimentation is finding out how the expanded TMs work, both in adding them to the game and also how to assign moves to TMs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    So there is

include\constants\tmhms.h in CFRU that looks like this

#pragma once

#include "moves.h"

#define ITEM_TM01_FOCUS_PUNCH 289
    #define ITEM_TM02_DRAGON_CLAW 290
    #define ITEM_TM03_WATER_PULSE 291
    #define ITEM_TM04_CALM_MIND 292
    #define ITEM_TM05_ROAR 293
    #define ITEM_TM06_TOXIC 294
    #define ITEM_TM07_HAIL 295
    #define ITEM_TM08_BULK_UP 296
    #define ITEM_TM09_BULLET_SEED 297
    #define ITEM_TM10_HIDDEN_POWER 298
    #define ITEM_TM11_SUNNY_DAY 299
    #define ITEM_TM12_TAUNT 300
    #define ITEM_TM13_ICE_BEAM 301
    #define ITEM_TM14_BLIZZARD 302
    #define ITEM_TM15_HYPER_BEAM 303
    #define ITEM_TM16_LIGHT_SCREEN 304
    #define ITEM_TM17_PROTECT 305
    #define ITEM_TM18_RAIN_DANCE 306
    #define ITEM_TM19_GIGA_DRAIN 307
    #define ITEM_TM20_SAFEGUARD 308
    #define ITEM_TM21_FRUSTRATION 309
    #define ITEM_TM22_SOLARBEAM 310
    #define ITEM_TM23_IRON_TAIL 311
    #define ITEM_TM24_THUNDERBOLT 312
    #define ITEM_TM25_THUNDER 313
    #define ITEM_TM26_EARTHQUAKE 314
    #define ITEM_TM27_RETURN 315
    #define ITEM_TM28_DIG 316
    #define ITEM_TM29_PSYCHIC 317
    #define ITEM_TM30_SHADOW_BALL 318
    #define ITEM_TM31_BRICK_BREAK 319
    #define ITEM_TM32_DOUBLE_TEAM 320
    #define ITEM_TM33_REFLECT 321
    #define ITEM_TM34_SHOCK_WAVE 322
    #define ITEM_TM35_FLAMETHROWER 323
    #define ITEM_TM36_SLUDGE_BOMB 324
    #define ITEM_TM37_SANDSTORM 325
    #define ITEM_TM38_FIRE_BLAST 326
    #define ITEM_TM39_ROCK_TOMB 327
    #define ITEM_TM40_AERIAL_ACE 328
    #define ITEM_TM41_TORMENT 329
    #define ITEM_TM42_FACADE 330
    #define ITEM_TM43_SECRET_POWER 331
    #define ITEM_TM44_REST 332
    #define ITEM_TM45_ATTRACT 333
    #define ITEM_TM46_THIEF 334
    #define ITEM_TM47_STEEL_WING 335
    #define ITEM_TM48_SKILL_SWAP 336
    #define ITEM_TM49_SNATCH 337
    #define ITEM_TM50_OVERHEAT 338
    #define ITEM_HM01_CUT 339
    #define ITEM_HM02_FLY 340
    #define ITEM_HM03_SURF 341
    #define ITEM_HM04_STRENGTH 342
    #define ITEM_HM05_FLASH 343
    #define ITEM_HM06_ROCK_SMASH 344
    #define ITEM_HM07_WATERFALL 345
    #define ITEM_HM08_DIVE 346

But DPE has include/items

Which has a list of TMs too though not named and it goes up to 120. Basically I want to know how both these can be true as I would rather have the 120 TMS and all the new items from the new gens that DPE adds.

Back