• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Hey I made an account just to tell you I am really enjoying this rom hack! Thanks for going through all of the effort.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Could you try to rephrase so I can better understand? The National Dex is completely unobtainable without trading. You should be able to complete the newly-created Extended Dex in one file. The Extended Dex is my intended solution to the, "There are blanks in my Pokedex," problem, as there will be no slots in your Pokedex that you can't fill without trading to obtain the National Dex. I'm okay with having the player trade with the vanilla games if they want the 140 missing mons that will never appear in their Extended Dex. Additionally, there are no rewards gated behind Extended or National Dex completion.

Perfect! thats what i wish... hehe.. i dont want blank spaces in dex, just complete full game.

When the next bugfixes will arrive?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Is there a document on the github or elsewhere that i can reference to see which pokemon are available on which routes/caves etc?

[edit] found it! it's https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/blob/master/src/data/wild_encounters.h for anyone looking. Haven't played much of it yet, but thanks for making a 'true to form' romhack with legality & compatibiliy in mind :)

Hey I made an account just to tell you I am really enjoying this rom hack! Thanks for going through all of the effort.

Thanks to both of you.

Perfect! thats what i wish... hehe.. i dont want blank spaces in dex, just complete full game.

When the next bugfixes will arrive?

You'll have no blanks in your Pokedex as long as you don't trade in mons that aren't in it (Johto starter lines, Celebi, and all Hoenn Pokemon save Azurill, Wynaut, Latias, Latios, and Deoxys), as doing so will unlock the National Dex that *will* have blanks.

I'll do another release when I get around to it. There are a few things I'd like to include that I haven't had the time to yet, as my real life has been busy this month. A few of the bugs you've reported (thank you for that!) have already been fixed and pushed to master, but I don't want to do a release until there are more substantial/critical bugfixes or changes.

It boggles my mind that someone would put all of this effort into a romhack and then still leave like 150 pokemon out of the game. The entire purpose of pokemon is to complete the pokedex and gen 3's weakness was how ridiculously difficult it was to do so. You didn't solve that problem at all.

It boggles the mind that someone thinks that they can't complete their National Pokedex in a hack that specifically and meticulously tries to maintain trade compatibility and whose creator has repeatedly advertised it as such. Just trade if that's your goal; I've even made it easier to do so. Having to link up to other games to get all the Pokemon was not a problem that I was trying to solve, but an intentional design decision. There are more Pokemon available in one FRLG+ savefile without trading than any solo Pokemon game (also without trading) up to X and Y if I remember correctly.

This hack started with me wanting to do a playthrough of FR but being disappointed that I couldn't catch Mew. So, I ported Faraway Island and wrote up a crude little event that was just good enough to not break my immersion to get the Old Sea Map and go there, all while being very careful to make sure the Mew was generated as a legal Emerald Mew. As I was playing, I was struck by lots of things that FRLG lacked or completely unnecessary time wasters that disappointed me but realized that just stuffing those things in without thought or care would fundamentally destroy the original experience. I started to tinker more, first adding QoL features like auto-running and running in buildings, then took inspiration from B2W2 for the Key System that allowed me to optionally toggle things that modified the difficulty but that I thought might be too disruptive to the original feel of Kanto/FRLG, and eventually the hack grew into something that I figured others might want to play.

I didn't make this hack for the community or an audience, I made it for me and decided to release it for others to enjoy. The feedback here from people who respect what I'm trying to accomplish with this hack has been invaluable and I am grateful, but I have no qualms about ignoring feedback that doesn't align with my vision for this project. To be honest I do not enjoy PokeCommunity and haven't for quite some time, but this is the place that hacks are released and so this is where I am. If I had made it with the intention of being what the PokeCommunity audience likes to see, it would have Gen 8+ battle mechanics with no real regard for balancing it all, all the new Pokemon, 1000+ Pokemon crammed into one region even when doing so makes no sense, etc. I wouldn't want to play that hack, so that's not the hack I made. If zero other people played FRLG+, I would be out nothing. I don't care about the popularity of this project, only that it accomplishes what I intend for it to accomplish. If you don't like that this hack is a little love letter to Gen 3, no one is forcing you to play it. If the inclusion or exclusion of something that I have repeatedly stated is a design goal of this hack is a deal breaker for you, then so be it. I can live with that. Others will enjoy it for what it is.

Like I've said to others before, if you don't agree with my design philosophies, you are more than welcome to create your own hack.

--------

All that said, when it comes to content updates, I do have some more postgame content planned that is on the horizon. I don't want to give out any more details about it at this time, and have no ETA, but the content does have some longevity to it and I think it will be generally well received. So that's something to look forward to for those following this hack.

Additionally, I have been made aware that the lady that lives in the Battle House on Seven Island has some weird line breaks in some of her dialogue, and that will be fixed for the next release.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2022
    Does the challenge mode use the cross generation evolutions (such as steelix or kingdra) on npc teams before the postgame?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    What do you have to do to obtain access to event islands?

The answer is in the spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    You can also search the repo for the event ticket items or any other items you'd like to know the location of. ITEM_OLD_SEA_MAP is an example of how to format the item name for such a search.

Does the challenge mode use the cross generation evolutions (such as steelix or kingdra) on npc teams before the postgame?

Technically yes, but before the postgame only the Elite Four have Johto Pokemon. I figured them having access to Pokemon that other trainers in Kanto weren't using or wouldn't be familiar with fit story-wise.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2022
    The answer is in the spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    You can also search the repo for the event ticket items or any other items you'd like to know the location of. ITEM_OLD_SEA_MAP is an example of how to format the item name for such a search.

Thank you for the answer and for making this awesome hack. Really enjoying it and looking forward to new updates!

Years
    • She / They
    • Seen Aug 18, 2022
    Hello! I wanted to bring a little bit of positivity by saying that your hack is exactly what I wanted for a FRLG hack, and that I'm having a ton of fun playing it at the moment! Ty for your great work and have a great day ^^

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I built your rom hack with the "Hue shift all Pokemon +/-20 degrees based on their personality value" and I have to say it looks pretty good. Dunno if you have any intention of adding it, but maybe worth looking into if you haven't already? Either way, looking forward to the next update!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Thank you for the answer and for making this awesome hack. Really enjoying it and looking forward to new updates!

Hello! I wanted to bring a little bit of positivity by saying that your hack is exactly what I wanted for a FRLG hack, and that I'm having a ton of fun playing it at the moment! Ty for your great work and have a great day ^^

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

I built your rom hack with the "Hue shift all Pokemon +/-20 degrees based on their personality value" and I have to say it looks pretty good. Dunno if you have any intention of adding it, but maybe worth looking into if you haven't already? Either way, looking forward to the next update!

I've never seen this feature in action in a GBA hack. Would you mind DMing me a few screenshots to show the differences between Pokemon hues or post them here?

I don't plan on adding that for this project, but I'm considering something similar for another project I have on the backburner. With FRLG+, I think it would be weird to have Pokemon suddenly be different colors since I incentivize trading with vanilla so heavily. Good to know an implementation is already out there that I can look at for inspiration in the future, though. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I've never seen this feature in action in a GBA hack. Would you mind DMing me a few screenshots to show the differences between Pokemon hues or post them here?

I don't plan on adding that for this project, but I'm considering something similar for another project I have on the backburner. With FRLG+, I think it would be weird to have Pokemon suddenly be different colors since I incentivize trading with vanilla so heavily. Good to know an implementation is already out there that I can look at for inspiration in the future, though. Thanks for the info!

You're absolutely right, completely forgot about the trade validity being a major focus. Here's a video example from the user on Reddit who made the hue shift mod - https://v.redd.it/hxk2nass7j481/DASH_480.mp4

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2022
    Bro if you were ever able to actually port the battle frontier I'd suck you off until the cows came home lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    Amazing hack! Really the best way to play FRLG I've seen. Thanks!

I was wondering, would you consider adding a feature to rename traded Pokémon and a feature to switch already captured Pokémon to different pokéballs?
    I don't think it would alter the game play that much, but I have no idea about dev so maybe it's a pain! LOL It would be amazing if you could add that IMO.

Thanks again!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Amazing hack! Really the best way to play FRLG I've seen. Thanks!

I was wondering, would you consider adding a feature to rename traded Pokémon and a feature to switch already captured Pokémon to different pokéballs?
    I don't think it would alter the game play that much, but I have no idea about dev so maybe it's a pain! LOL It would be amazing if you could add that IMO.

Thanks again!

I somehow missed this post, sorry about that!

In Gen III, there are many Pokémon that are illegal in certain Poké Balls. The starters are the easiest example, as all but the Johto Starters from Colosseum can only be in regular Poké Balls. Having the ability to rename traded Pokémon can also make certain Pokémon illegal. Because one of the goals for this hack is for everything found in it to be legal in Gen III, I won't be adding those features to FRLG+.

Thanks for your comment!

In region_map.c is this a mistake?
    Code:
    idx;;
    should be
    Code:
    idx;

Yes, but it doesn't affect code generation. Regardless I fixed it this morning. Thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes several bugs, rebalances some Master Trainers, places a Sun Stone before postgame, and adds more functionality to the Battle Anim Speed option. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.3.0

Mewtwo will now not respawn incorrectly after its battle in the two new Cerulean Cave layouts.
    Bill on Cinnabar Island should now no longer walk through buildings when the player declines to go with him to One Island.
    Fixed a tile error on Four Island's Base.
    Master Raichu's Attack and Defense stats were reduced by 10% and its Speed stat was increased by 10%.
    Master Mr. Mime is now Adamant instead of Modest.
    Several Master Trainer Pokemon had incorrect IVs which were fixed.
    Fixed incorrect line breaks in the Battle House woman's text.
    Fixed vanilla bug where the AI would decide to use Foresight based on the user's type and stats instead of the target's.
    Fixed vanilla bug where the AI would incorrectly decide to try to stall with semi-invulnerable moves while a weather effect is damaging them.
    Fixed vanilla bug where the AI would decide to use Facade based on the target's status instead of the user's.
    Fixed Assist, Block, Camouflage, Charge, Conversion 2, Follow Me, Grudge, Helping Hand, Imprison, Ingrain, Magic Coat, Mean Look, Memento, Mimic, Mud Sport, Nightmare, Pain Split, Recycle, Refresh, Role Play, Skill Swap, Slack Off, Snatch, Softboiled, Spider Web, Tail Glow, Water Sport, Wish and Yawn displaying an incorrect accuracy value from vanilla. Vital Throw was fixed before the initial release.
    A Sun Stone has been added to Kanto that is available before the postgame, making Bellossom obtainable much earlier.
    When Battle Anim Speed is set to fast or instant, battle transitions are now skipped and instantly cut to the battle. Battle transitions will only play for trainers with the mugshot transition effect.

---

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this of late, so I wanted to put out a bug fix release so that some of the more egregious bugs and oversights weren't sitting here for months as well as add quick functionality to skip battle transitions. Thus, bag sorting, binding more than one item to select, and Colosseum Bonus Disc compatibility were not included in this release.

All in all, the Battle Anim Speed setting now shaves off about six seconds from the beginning of every battle, which makes things feel so snappy at the expense of it not being as pretty.
    Here's an example of how quick it is for wild battles:
    [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Last edited:

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
    Hey congrats and thanks for the release! I will keep an eye on it, even tho I might revert that wild mon transition, it kinda loses the feeling of encountering a mon, specially if it's a rare or a shiny one!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    Hey congrats and thanks for the release! I will keep an eye on it, even tho I might revert that wild mon transition, it kinda loses the feeling of encountering a mon, specially if it's a rare or a shiny one!

I understand that that might be a liiiiiiiitle controversial. Perhaps in the future I will split up what the Battle Anim Speed option does into separate settings so people can mix and match.

Thanks for your comments.

Back