• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concept: Pokemon tournament/dnd/dating-sim inspired Rogue-Like (concept rambling. please steal anything you want from this)

Days
    • Seen Jan 11, 2024
    first post with a wacky idea, so bare with me.
    alright, so what are two universal things everyone loves? that's right, Rogue-adjacent and tournaments! so what if we combine them with pokemon and DnD into a messed up hybrid?
    so, let's start simple with the basic idea of Emerald Rogue, a Rogue-lite where you're given one of multiple different options to progress and enhance your team until you reach a mini-boss and move onto the next challenge. simple. lets add onto that.
    first, remove the gym leaders as the boss per floor. instead, make it one of many trainers in a tournament trying to advance to a gym leader. kinda like we're all fighting to gain the opportunity to take on the gym leader. this is presented in a Bracket format, so you're one out of X trainers trying to take on the gym leader. we can add more challenge by the number of trainers in the bracket increasing the difficulty of the run and the gym leader at the end. and each gym can give their own unique gameplay twist such as certain conditions being put in place for all competitors. each of the AI will usually be random in their teams, but those who advance will likely have teams either move competitively balanced or better to take on the Gym leader. the options between rounds will be similar to Emerald Rogue; shop, event, route; but let's also add meta-gaming stuff to mess with opponents such as scouting their team or applying disadvantages to certain targets. the AI trainers can also do this, so they may throw some stuff back at you. however, you could also send buffs to certain players you want to advance, usually because you believe you could beat them at later stages. again, the AI can do the same. also, why not just add trading? you can try and trade with the AI! if they deem the trade good enough, they'll accept it or deny it. hell, maybe go all out and add different events that make certain character stronger or weaker based on your specific outcome (too far in advanced to think about, but throwing it out there).
    I want this to feel like a competition and not just a mini-boss rush. they may be randomly generated, but i want them to feel like players... which is where the DnD aspects come in!
    so, when you start a run, you're not going in as basic whoever, but can choose one of many trainer classes to take the role of. and when you start a tournament, you're not able to chose your starter, rather you're given a mini-quiz by the end boss of the tournament (usually the gym leader or whoever) related to either them, their ideology, or their playstyle. based on that, they'll give you one of a handful of different starter options that seems appropriate for that leader (type, characteristics, starter of their region, common in their region or area, etc.). when you reach certain milestones within the competition, you may unlock different things such as specific items, TMs or unique out of combat abilities restricted to that trainer class, such as dragon tamers getting dragon related items and TMs, or herbalists getting extra and unique berries. all this would apply to the AI trainers in the tournament, so they're likely not to start the same, but based on their trainer class and other aspects and choices they make, it makes them more likely to do certain actions over others.
    ok so I'm just gonna wild out and throw out the dumbest idea yet for managing this stuff. add a dating simulator style meter for different personality traits to each AI that alter based on their starting class, answers to the starter quiz, a random number generator, and whatever else that shifts as they progress in the story. these personality traits effect the likely-hood of certain actions over others. and why not just give you one as well just for the sake of understanding what kind of player you are.
    i want information and planning to be the key to this game. constantly preparing for the next step. watching not only your own bracket, but those next to you. always theorizing what might be coming next and who may or may not be the biggest threat at the moment. maybe you can meta-game and somehow trick the AI into targeting specific trainers!?
    ...oh my god... what if this had multiplayer!?!?! getting side-tracked. sorry.
    ok. so, if you're reading this as a programmer or hacker and think i'm insane for thinking all this is possible... then you're entirely right and I'm sorry. I have zero programming skills and not enough brain/will power to sit down and learn how to make this game myself. i'm 100% serious when i say anyone is free to steal any of this. if it inspired you, then i'm glad i helped and i literally need no credit. i just love fan-games. i've never been interested in difficulty hacks, rather just balls to the walls fun and unique ways to play and look at pokemon.
    anyways, thanks for reading this and happy [insert anything festive here]

Back