• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Contest Spectacular

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The traditional contests from Ruby and Sapphire have returned with their own storyline and subplot now!

Has anyone taken up the contest challenge? What are your favorite categories to compete in? And of course, do you have any "signature" contest Pokémon like Lisia's Altaria? Share the deets!

I received my Toughness Master Ribbon last night, and I'm on the Hyper Rank for Cuteness right now, going to get the Master Ribbon for that one tonight! I'm curious to see what happens with Lisia and Chaz, I haven't seen any more cut scenes since I started my second category.

Years
    I did one Cleverness Contest with a Shroomish, but since my team's movesets were so all over the place I haven't touched them since then. Going to make a team specifically for contests and then get around to finishing them....eventually.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm still a little too early in the game to be able to give Contests a serious go, but I did meet Lisia and get re-introduced to Contests. I've only participated in one so far, a Normal Rank Coolness Contest in Slateport (in which I lost ;_; ).

I gave Contests a fair shot in Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, but I couldn't exactly get THAT into them.....but do y'all think that it's something worth getting into this time around?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I had preemptively started building contest Pokemon on Y before ORAS came out but so far I've only gotten around to running through all ranks of Beauty with my Dragonair. The whole process is way easier and faster than I remember. I conditioned her and went through all the contests in an evening. Maybe it's the lack of the berry blending mini-game (now you just pick berries and BAM) and the fact that the last time I really tried to do contests was in the original Sapphire when I was a dumb teenager with less of a grasp on things. Never really got into them in DPP.

Personally I enjoy contests as a concept because it gives any Pokemon a chance to shine regardless of stats or battle potential, and I'm glad it isn't tedious this time around.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
    first time playing a gen 3 game(despite it's a remake) and i'm hooked on the contests. i'm planning to build a special team for contests only. :3

plus the contests are the only reason i brought my female sylveon over from x. :3

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I just mastered them all this evening! I beat Lisia in one shot too, just by a margin. I ended up using Cosplay Pikachu for everything and going through them all made me realize how ridiculously easy they made the contests this gen...

Some differences I've noticed are:
    • There is no limit to how many Pokéblocks you feed your Pokémon
    • Once you beat Master Rank once, you can re-enter the category and go straight to Master Rank with an entirely different, new Pokémon
    • No Berry Blender, no levels for Berries, they're very straight-forward
    • From my experience, the competing trainers' AI seems a lot lower than before... not nearly as many combos and timed moves

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    No Berry Blender, no levels for Berries, they're very straight-forward
    Oh, that's really nice. While doing the Berry Blender thing to make PokeBlocks made sense, it was more annoying and time-wasting than anything imo.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    I actually kinda missed the berry blender. It was fun seeing it spin and pressing it quickly.

I lost my first contest (coolness). Stupid pooch went to use bite right behind me. Ugh... What a shame. I'll definitely try again though.

Spoiler:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I'm the type to just say screw training a new team of contest Pokemon and go with my old ones from DPPt. At least, for the contest stats lol, since the difference in mechanics won't fit in with my old combos from DPPt. :v

Imagine my surprise when I learnt that we can feed Pokeblocks to Pokemon with max sheen from back at DPPt. Cue me trying to win all the contests with a single Pokemon. It was tough trying to win opposite categories from the norm, but hey, jamming is fun. :v

I've gotten 4 Comet Shards from the fans so far. I'll be spending a lot on Quick Balls (I like my Quick Balls) so this is nice.

Still, the fact that I could ace the Tough and the Smart (I refuse to call it Clever!) contests with my old contest Milotic with only Beauty moves in one try is pretty much self-explanatory. The contests are too easy in ORAS. You get to max contest stats and tada, you've pretty much won.

I'm still waiting for a contestant to actually do a combo...

Years
    I am so ready to get back into contests! I've had a late start so I've just gotten them unlocked tonight, won the first one easy. I actually didn't realize until you mentioned not being able to use the pokeblock mixer (I was wondering why it was in a glass case not being used) that I could just make them in the pokeblock case! They sure are cute!

Unfortunately I gave up on contest training when BW didn't have any contests and I lost my Pearl that had my originally bred for perfection contest pokemon...but this could get me back into breeding again! I want to master everything with one pokemon like I was so close to doing a long time ago. Though I don't know if another contest hall has it...but are contests still local only multiplayer?

Years
    I have not done any contests in Omega Ruby yet, but once I get bored with breeding/Battle Maison, i'm sure i'll have my hand in them. But i'll want to think of a creative Pokémon to use in them...

Years
    I tried one contest, coolness with my shiny mightyena. It was pretty fun, seeing them appeal to whatever is in the background of my camera was amusing. My ceiling fan getting hit with attacks, eheh.
    And when Rahi maxed out the audience excitement and performed Moonlit Pledge...
    Oh, t'was maaaarvelous! I won and I totally plan on training a pokemon to sweep each category.

QueenNatSumi

Fit to be a Queen
    Years
    I did all the master rank contests.

Blazkien, cool, and cute. Had an awesome cute contest moveset. Honeclaws, Confide, BatonPass, Attract. It works really good to for master rank.

Altaria, beauty. Aron, tough, Milotic, Clever.

Pretty cool story behind contests.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Blazkien, cool, and cute. Had an awesome cute contest moveset. Honeclaws, Confide, BatonPass, Attract. It works really good to for master rank.

Next thing on my drawing list: A Blaziken looking cute.

Anyway, I like how we can snap pictures and then upload it to the PGL.

Contest Spectacular

Like here's a pic of my Manectric doing his spectacular move.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    only participated in one contest so far cuteness with my zigzagoon. which i won.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    They kind of made the contests way easier now, since back in gen 3 you could only cap at 2 max stats for contest. Now you can get a pokemon with all their contest stats maxed.

Back