• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Court rules that Kesha can't terminate her contract

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    It seems very hard for people to wrap their heads around abuse and the effects of it, and instead polarise everything into black and white. It's cool a guess, ignorance lives on somewhere :)
    It's not really ignorance when it's been 10 years and there's still no evidence. Obviously someone has to be lying. The anecdotes are meaningless.

Bay

Years
  • It seems very hard for people to wrap their heads around abuse and the effects of it, and instead polarise everything into black and white. It's cool a guess, ignorance lives on somewhere :)

Yeah what worries me with some of the responses here are how those that said, "Why Kesha didn't end this abuse sooner" are on Luke's side and not thought about what it's like to be in the abused person's shoes. Whether it be a few weeks or ten years, it's not that simple to leave and call out.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It seems very hard for people to wrap their heads around abuse and the effects of it, and instead polarise everything into black and white. It's cool a guess, ignorance lives on somewhere :)

I think it's cute how you're calling someone else ignorant when you're the one that insists on prosecuting someone based on anecdotal evidence. The U.S. legal system isn't designed around giving the benefit of the doubt, it's designed around physical evidence, and while that may hurt some legitimate victims, it's better than the alternative you're asking for where people can be jailed for baseless claims. If Kesha wants to escape Dr. Luke and her contract, she absolutely needs to provide evidence of abuse, because no court in the country is going to take stories of 5+ year old memories seriously if they're not substantiated.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Yeah what worries me with some of the responses here are how those that said, "Why Kesha didn't end this abuse sooner" are on Luke's side and not thought about what it's like to be in the abused person's shoes. Whether it be a few weeks or ten years, it's not that simple to leave and call out.
    It is quite simple to call out if it has been 10 years long and all she has is baseless claims. Unless she provides evidence to support her claims, I will be on Luke's side because people should not be sent to jail on a baseless claim with no evidence nor will I respond well to someone who will try to abuse the court system to try and hurt someone's career and life. I've seen too much of it and this "Think of the Children!" and "Would you please think about her emotional outcries!" only points to many people in this thread wanting people to be sent into the slammer because someone decided to ruin their life by claiming abuse with, again, no evidence.

Call me unsympathetic and un-empathetic all you want. This kind of shit has affected my family negatively and many people negatively, such as Gregory Alan Elliott who's life was ruined because two people decided to claim harassment when there was ABSOLUTELY no evidence of said harassment. It took years before he was finally tried and found innocent; the same shouldn't happen here because of the plight of an "abused" 28 year old with baseless claims and no evidence

Years
  • Could it be that abuse has little effect on ending a contract? They seem like separate issues. She may or may not be successful with her suit for the abuse, but that might not reflect any kind of success with her suit over the contract.

What is legally at stake here? Does anyone know many suits does Kesha have right now, with whom, over what? That might illuminate what may or may not be possible for her to achieve.

EDIT: I just read that Kesha's contract is with Dr. Luke, not with Sony. I don't see how a suit with Sony would impact the contract which Sony is not a party to.

EDIT2: Irreparable harm as it's quoted in the media likely does not mean what you are lead to believe from those articles where the phrase is taken out of context. The irreparable harm claimed by Kesha is that she cannot work with Dr. Luke (and no amount of reparations can change or remedy that, obviously). But Dr. Luke's lawyer disputes that because apparently she's under no restriction to work with Dr. Luke, there's no point to grand an injunction to allow her to do something she's apparently already able to do (not work with Dr. Luke). Apparently Sony came out and said that they have no issue with her not working with Dr. Luke.

I'm going through the court documents now and you can too here: link.

Last edited:

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Yeah what worries me with some of the responses here are how those that said, "Why Kesha didn't end this abuse sooner" are on Luke's side and not thought about what it's like to be in the abused person's shoes. Whether it be a few weeks or ten years, it's not that simple to leave and call out.

To suggest that she probably had a chance during those ten years to stop a bad relationship from devolving further does not mean anyone is holding a flag for the music producer.

And I'm sorry, I see a world of difference between a few weeks and ten years. Sexual abuse is not some magical blindfold that makes one impartial to the passing of time (or mounting physical/psychological damage). I understand that it is true for some people in bad relationships to numb themselves to pain and accept their bad circumstance as fate. That should not be suggested as a blanket for every such case.

It is difficult to comment in an in-depth way when we don't have more solid details of the relationship in question. We are confined to conjecture, really.

Years
    Years
  • Some good news. Never was a Kesha fan, don't expect I ever will be, but it wasn't right for her to be locked up in a contract like that with someone she could not work with. I expect she'll still be held to her contract with Sony though, which is kinda bittersweet since they didn't seem to care much about her and are only doing something now because it's hurting their image.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    There are updates by Dr Luke/his attorneys that the stories about Sony dropping him are untrue, or at least unsubstantiated. Which sounds more realistic to me than Sony unexpectedly dropping him after protecting him throughout this case, with much success to boot.

Back