• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

crap stuff

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
  • here is my tiles
    MyTiles.png

constructive criticism please.
    you can use these in your hax....
    BUT GIVE CREDIT.

Sprites
    espeonrepose.png

zorouacustom.png

Last edited:

hackerofdarkness

I have return
    Years
  • Nice tiles

Man you better in tree spriting then I am sweet tiles hope you make more when you have the time
    -your new follower Abrahan.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2011
    what do you mean it is choice if he says give credit you have to if he says there private you cant use them

To be completely honest, he doesn't have a copyright on his material.
    But we can all hope people will at least be decent in aknowledging other peoples' works.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    To be completely honest, he doesn't have a copyright on his material.
    But we can all hope people will at least be decent in aknowledging other peoples' works.

Technically anything you create has a copyright on it.

Also, these tiles aren't what I would call "amazing". The tree's definitely need work, around the outline and such.

Years
  • Well, I think you're on the right track, but you've got a lot of work to do before you can call these awesome. ;)

For starters, the door on your scratch house is far too small and misplaced. It should be roughly one tile wide and tall, and be lined up as such, like the edited one. I also think that your trees' anatomies are a little strange, but trees are difficult, so keep working at those.

The main problem I see, though, is your shading. You seem to be using your darker colours to provide detail, and on your trees, using lighter dots as shading is not good.

I would recommend looking at Chesu's tutorial on shading that's stickied in this forum, and making things bigger. Those two key things should improve your sprites a lot, and then you can work on smaller nuances of technique later. :)

RE: The copyright debate
    Many of you are confusing the terms "copyright" and "intellectual property". The former does indeed require a patent to be filed, but the latter is something that applies to all works made by a person. It's illegal to steal IP, but the creator can agree to sell it to another person or company, or let them use it. However, it's very difficult to track things like this on the internet.

In some cases their IP immediately goes to a company of that kind. For anyone interested, there was a very interesting case about that in Japan involving the man who invented a method of creating blue light from an LED. Anyway, this is way OT. xD

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
  • I wanst on about copyright but like most spriters here they say there public do you can use them or private so you cant or you have to ask, If someone uses there tiles without their permission if they get caught at PC or somewhere else e.g. Wah then they'll probably be given a warning or a ban

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    It irritates me when people talk about how awesome they are, and makes me act very blunt with my responses.

These are not "awesome" at all. I can hardly read mart. The texture on the roofs is 2px wide at one point. The light source is all over the place. The colors are dull and boring. The roof ends awkwardly.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • It irritates me when people talk about how awesome they are, and makes me act very blunt with my responses.

These are not "awesome" at all. I can hardly read mart. The texture on the roofs is 2px wide at one point. The light source is all over the place. The colors are dull and boring. The roof ends awkwardly.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but the light source is not all over the place. It has a defined position, it's just difficult to see with the shape of the building.

You need to work on your lineart on the roof, it's very jagged and on the mart the outline overlaps in two points. Also, The texture on the roof doesn't look good the way it is, I would suggest adding something like a lip on the outside or a pattern to make it more interesting. The palettes are pretty boring, I would suggest brightening them up a bit, that way they'll be more attractive, especially since pokemon is aimed at children. The Espeon and Zorua sprites need some touching up on the outlines, they're very jagged right now. The ears on Espeon are also very odd looking, and so is the mouth. Zorua's shading needs to be rounded more, and the face needs to be touched up. Right now the left side looks strange, like it's sagging.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • @dude with long name
    would you rather i said crap sprites?
    /goes to ask mod to change name

@conan
    i need more crit like this xD
    i see what you mean about the roof, i never really liked it so i have changed that, and will have the edited one finished for next week.
    i'll also try brightening the pallettes (I spent ages because they wouldn't go with the trees)

as for the sprites, i spent ages with espeon and just couldn't get the ears right, and for zoroa, i see what you mean, my shading is terrible :0

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • /goes to ask mod to change name
    You need to ask a super mod or higher, there are no pixel art mods. (Chibi Robo for mod amarite?)
    Anyway, these need alot of improving.
    Just keep practising is all I can say, I not going to bother with repeating with everyone else.

Keep trying.

Years
  • Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, y'know -_-'

You've already had a lot of constructive crit in this thread for you to be working with, so just ignore posts like that. Works for the rest of us :P

As everyone else has said, work on your lines and your shading. Then repost and see how they're looking and you'll get crit to imrpove them from there. :)

Years
  • The shading isn't great. I don't know of many round things that have shading like that. You might want to try looking at the shading for a similar shaped pokemon like, say, Swalot. It's more rounded. However, I think the main issue is the outlining. It's far, far too light. You should be using black for the darkest areas and slightly lighter shades for the edges, not near-white like you have now. Work on those two and that should help a lot.

Back