• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crash when trying to play a midi on Mac

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    Hey everyone. I'm using RPG Maker XP on Crossovers(an application you use to run windows programs on a mac) with the latest version of Pokemon Essentials. Everything was working pretty well until I tried to insert wild encounters into the game. As soon as I actually encounter something the game just crashes- I'm not using any fakemon. I've tried setting encounters by editing the encounters .txt document in the PBS folder and by finding it using the debug option while playtesting with the same result. I'm sure the map ID I put in is the one for the map I'm using and I'm sure none of the pokemon names are spelled incorrectly- for the PBS way I used the same format that was already in that document. I also checked to make sure that the grass I was using had a terrain tag of 2 https://s22.postimg.org/e8mf7fwbl/Screen_Shot_2015_06_18_at_8_33_11_AM.png (the one I'm using is next to the long grass tile)
    I've set metadeta for the area in case that was the problem but it doesn't seem to help
    Then I started checking to see if trainer battles work and it would show the exclamation point and the trainer would walk up, say their beginning dialogue and then it would crash. To make sure I didn't do anything wrong with the trainer battle I just copied an example from essentials and double checked to make sure that trainer was in trainertypes .txt. If I hold down the control button I can get through to the end dialogue without a problem
    This is the error screen that pops up for both of them: https://s3.postimg.org/axjynm6fn/Screen_Shot_2015_06_18_at_12_55_10_AM.png (though to be fair it's also the screen that pops up anytime something goes wrong while playtesting)
    "Show details" for the encounters crash: https://s23.postimg.org/83ilm290r/Screen_Shot_2015_06_18_at_1_04_42_AM.png

Also! I've already tried holding control down while the game was loading to force it to compile like I've read from another post on this thread with the same problem.
    I also can't test a wild battle from the debug option. Battling in general is just broken

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'd love some advice!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Is your battle music a midi file? It looks like Crossover is crashing when it attempts to load the transition from the overworld to the battle screen, and based on my personal experience the only reason RPGXP crashes on macs is when it tries to play midi files.

In any case, your problem is different from the ones posted in the other threads. Your problem forces the entire application to crash, whereas the problems posted in other topics simply prevents the game from being loaded.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, you're amazing! That's definitely what it is. My battle music is a bunch of midi files. Thank you so much!

Are there any audio alternatives you would recommend using?
    I hope I'm not just stuck without music x.x

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Glad to be of help. The three "safe" types of audio files for Wine/Crossover seem to be mp3, wav and ogg. Personally I would stick to mp3 files since wav files are pretty large and you can't preview .ogg files in the Finder. If you really want to keep your original battle music you can either use Audacity to convert them from .mid to .mp3 or look up the song on youtube and use a youtube-to-mp3 converter.

Back