• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Create an Ability!

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    Since Endless started a thead about creating new moves & I saw
    no theads about creating abilities, I decided to do it myself.

Now then:
    If there were to be a contest where you create an ability & the winning abilities
    get placed in future games, what would you create?
    & what kind of prizes would you like to see?

My idea for an Ability:

Nimbus
    Summons Thunderstorm weather for the next 5 turns, extended to 8 when
    holding a Charged Rock.

Effects of Thunderstorm weather:
    ~Electric-type attacks damage is doubled.

~Non-Electric & Non-Ground types has a 30% chance of being struck by lighting,
    dealing damage depending on type, like Stealth Rock.

~Electricity based abilties, such as Lighting Rod & Motor Drive are activated.
    Also, pokemon with these abilities will not be struck by lighting.
    (preventing multiple activactions by lighting alone)

~Also instantly activates Cell Battery, if a pokemon is holding it.

~In the case of pokemon with Volt Absorb, they have a 30% chance of getting
    75% HP restored.

~Ground-type damage is halved.
    (Don't ask how this works...)

~Thunder becomes 100% accurate.

~Prevents Electric Terrian from being replaced by an another Terrian move.

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
    Name: Resiliant
    Prevent's damage from super-effective moves.

I'd probably put this ability onto somewhat weaker sweepers and somewhat weaker tanks. Also might be ok for set-up pokemon.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Name: Physical Bounce
    Prevents the user from being damaged by physical moves and bounces the damage right back at them.

For example if a Dragonite used dragon claw on a pokemon with this ability, the pokemon would take no damage and bounce the dragon claw damage right back at Dragonite.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I got a couple in mind:

Igneous:
    When the Pokemon switches into battle, Stealth Rock is removed from its side of the field. The Pokemon does not take SR damage.

Possible Pokemon with this ability: Volcarona, Heatran, Volcanion, Magmar

Overload: When the Pokemon is at 1/3 HP or less, Electric moves are boosted by 50%. (Basically the Electric version of Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow).

Possible Pokemon with this ability: Pikachu, Electivire, etc

Black Yin: Ignores immunities to Dragon and Electric attacks.

Possible Pokemon with this ability: Zekrom

Not like that last one would ever happen.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Name: Heat Tolerance (?)
    Gains 1/16 HP when the weather is sunny. Loses 1/16 HP when raining.
    Possible Pokemon with this ability: Darumaka, Darmanitan, Torkoal.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Name: Fluid Drain?
    Description: Absorb more energy when draining health from an opponent
    Effect: Absorb, Mega Drain, and Giga Drain get a boost of x1.3 power, making the attacks more deadly and the user to gain back more HP
    Pokemon: Beautifly, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume

Name: Acid Dissolve?
    Description: Normal-type moves become Poison-type moves.
    Effect: All Normal-type moves turn into Poison-type moves and receive a 30% boost.
    Pokemon: Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I was about to create a thread like this, but wound up forgetting. Thank god it was still made, though, haha.

Anyway, one ability I would personally create is "Trauma." Basically, this is like Intimidate, but instead of it lowering physical attack stat, it would be special. This could be very helpful when going up against the likes of Togekiss and Heatran.

Another thing I would make is "Confidence." This ability would be the counterpart of Moxie; in latter, your attack gets raised every time you take something down, but in former, it would be sp. attack.

GoldfishHorde

Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
    Years
    Wildcard
    At the beginning of a battle, this Pokemon is randomly given any ability except for Wildcard.

Exaggerate
    Any increase or decrease in stats is doubled when this Pokemon is in battle.

Prioritize
    Priority moves always go last when this Pokemon is in battle.

Years
    Emergency

If Pokemon has below 1/3rd of it's health in battle, both Defense and Special Defense raise sharply(3x).

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Negative World
    warps the battle to a twisted dimension. in this dimension:

Ghost type moves are boosted

all non ghost types will be hurt with an attack similar to curse

normal and fighting type moves are halved

gravity and air balloon effects will alternate between turns

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Emergency

If Pokemon has below 1/3rd of it's health in battle, both Defense and Special Defense raise sharply(3x).

If they could implement something similar to that, it would be great! Though, this could make some Pokémon overpowered if they have access to recovery moves as well, so if they don't wish them to be looked at that way, then they might have to avoid giving them this ability.

Years
    If they could implement something similar to that, it would be great! Though, this could make some Pokémon overpowered if they have access to recovery moves as well, so if they don't wish them to be looked at that way, then they might have to avoid giving them this ability.

Pokemon which can't learn any recovery moves would have this ability, also those which have low base Def and Sp.Def mostly. I gave the 3x for a reason.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    Negative World
    warps the battle to a twisted dimension. in this dimension:

Ghost type moves are boosted

all non ghost types will be hurt with an attack similar to curse

normal and fighting type moves are halved

gravity and air balloon effects will alternate between turns
    Let me guess...
    Giratina has this ability?

GoldfishHorde

Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
    Years
    Charge Heal
    1/16 of the Pokemon's HP is restored every turn that Electric Terrain is in play.

Magic Heal
    1/16 of the Pokemon's HP is restored every turn that Fairy Terrain is in play.

Nature Heal
    1/16 of the Pokemon's HP is restored every turn that Grass Terrain is in play.

All Terrain
    This Pokemon is unaffected by Electric, Fairy, or Grass Terrain and it's effects.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Ambush: The Pokemon's moves deal 1.25 x Damage if its health is full when calculating damage.

I'd like to see that over protean on Greninja, even though I have no doubt everyone would still use proninja.

Luster Skin: Opponents moves and abilities that activate through contact have their effects reflected back on their users.

I could see Carbink, Metagross, Cryogonal, Diancie, Sableye or a few orders having this.

Blitzkrieg: Opponents that protect against this Pokemon's attacks have their attack stat lowered.

This would be SOOO nice to have to use against Aegislash. I could see Zebstrika, Haxorus, Deoxys Attack, Conkeldurr, Gallade, Darmanitan, (wow this is unintentionally a lot of 5th gen pokes) or Rampardos having it.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
    Night Vision: All Dark type moves have 100% accuracy.

Surprise Gift: Once after every turn, a random stat of this Pokémon will be raised to its highest level and is applied until the end of the next turn, at which point it wears off. (Would be amazing for Baton Pass.)

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
    I have one.

Moisture Air

(Note that this ability is exclusive to fire types and grass types)

During rain, all special moves are boosted up by 200% and the chances of critical hits increase. The user also heals its HP and resistance to water increases. Note though that their defense will decrease by one stage for every turn their HP is above half.

Outroar

(Exclusive to dragon pokemon)

Whenever in a double, triple, sky, or hoard battle, for every dragon on the battlefield, the user's attack will increase by 2 stages. The user will also have little resistance to flinching and paralyze affects though. In single battle, the user will only take 1/2 the damage of a weakness move.

Back