• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Cross-Platform Gaming Now Possible Via Xbox Live

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    https://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/03/xbox-one-cross-network-play/

Announced earlier today, Microsoft has opened up their Xbox Live network to enable Xbox One to PC cross-network play with Rocket League, ultimately allowing other developers to enable cross-platform play, including Xbox One to PlayStation 4 support. Microsoft has been on record saying that it would like to be able to allow Xbox One users to play with PlayStation 4 users; it would all come down to how Sony would approach this.

What do you guys think of this? I think it's pretty huge news. How do you think it will affect the gaming industry? Would this end the console war? Do you think Sony will comply to this? Let me know what you guys think of this news!

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    There's been a lot of games already that do crossplay ether between the console and a PC (one of those being Microsoft's very own ill-fated Shadowrun shooter all those years ago) or between two consoles on the same service, ie PS4 to PS3.

Whether or not it's really a simple case of Sony and Microsoft agreeing to allow players to be matched between their services, I'll believe that when it happens.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Imagine if they implement this for first person shooters. Especially with a game like Call Of Duty. Combine all those people, and you'll have millions playing.

pkmin3033

There is an awful lot of money tied up in exclusivity. So much that I can't imagine this ever becoming a reality in its most ideal form. Maybe some highly limited compatability - probably with a price tag on top of the subscription fees for PS+ or XBL attached - yes, but otherwise? It's difficult to imagine this being realised.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    There is an awful lot of money tied up in exclusivity. So much that I can't imagine this ever becoming a reality in its most ideal form. Maybe some highly limited compatability - probably with a price tag on top of the subscription fees for PS+ or XBL attached - yes, but otherwise? It's difficult to imagine this being realised.

Sorry but I'm confused. What would be the reasoning behind an additional price tag ontop of the subscription fees for PS+ or XBL? I don't completely get it.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    There's been a lot of games already that do crossplay ether between the console and a PC (one of those being Microsoft's very own ill-fated Shadowrun shooter all those years ago) or between two consoles on the same service, ie PS4 to PS3.

Whether or not it's really a simple case of Sony and Microsoft agreeing to allow players to be matched between their services, I'll believe that when it happens.

Wasn't there also a Dragon Quest? game that allowed cross play between 3DS, Wii, (Wii U?), PS3, PC or something like that. I wish all games were like that.

This is cool, but it'd be better if they did Xbox One / Xbox 360 first, my brother is pretty being forced to the one just to play with friends. But we have the game on PC, so maybe that might work, just more annoying for us having to listen / give up the computer (he games a lot.)

Years
    Well this has been a long time coming. I used to love when this question would be brought up at the occasional press conference, and the reps would just reply, "The hardware and software can't support something like that." It was a load of crap and everyone knew it, so its nice that they are actually deciding to put some work into it. On top of that, enough games have done it in the past to know its possible, Rocket League, Shadowrun, Dust 514/EVE Online, etc.

I do think there should be some sort of limit though. For example, FPS games should have a barrier between console and PC, computers have such an advantage of being able to use a mouse which is much more precise, but having FPS between consoles will be great. It'll definitely help Call of Duty I think, and having those being linked I think will mean that both parties will have more of a reason to create even more first party games.

Great for everyone, looking forward to it.

Yukari

I do think there should be some sort of limit though. For example, FPS games should have a barrier between console and PC, computers have such an advantage of being able to use a mouse which is much more precise, but having FPS between consoles will be great. It'll definitely help Call of Duty I think, and having those being linked I think will mean that both parties will have more of a reason to create even more first party games.
    That was the first thing that came to mind for me. The PC and Console FPS communities are very different and I don't know if it's really the best idea for cross-platform play between the two to exist. Then again, it could be completely fine I dunno.

Would this end the console war?
    Definitely not. Especially since stubborn fanboys won't change their mind for anything. xd

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'd like to see this become a reality. There are a lot of people that have a PlayStation who I'd love to play with but I really don't fancy the PS4 myself. This would somewhat remedy that.

Back