• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Custom built computers?

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    My next computer is going to be a custom built computer =D

Your current computer: Is it bought from the store as is....or was is customized for you?

My current one was just purchased from best buy as is. Its from 2005 so it is really out of date. I plan to get a custom built computer with an AMD processor and large hard drive with lots of RAM!! =D

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    My Laptop and My Computer are both brand new when it was bought...

I didn't buy those two, But If i buy my own computer, my priority is to customize it...

That way, I could set a budget onto it. I could customize a laptop with only P5000 pesos in my wallet rather than buying a new one that costs a damn whooping P20,000-P30,000 here (Not sure of the Prices, but Im telling you, It's whooping high! :D)...

Well, that's why Im studying Computer Hardware right now - So I could customize my own PC :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I always customize my own PC, but this Laptop which I'm working on now isn't customized.

It's pretty hard to customize a laptop, but the one in my room is a tower, so I always make sure it is at it's best from my opinion - for which I customize it totally.

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    I always customize my own PC, but this Laptop which I'm working on now isn't customized.

It's pretty hard to customize a laptop, but the one in my room is a tower, so I always make sure it is at it's best from my opinion - for which I customize it totally.

*I agree, it's hard to customize a Laptop, but once you're successful I think it's worth it :D.

My PC's a Tower too. And I think it's easy to customize it, right? My Cousin does the customizing in only 3 hours with complete materials with a Tower. :D

Primal_Dialga

Random act of kindness~
    Years
    My brother is thinking of making his own computer after his HSC (high school certificate(THE BIG ONE :D)) exam :o he's very computer knowledgeable.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    For desktops I do indeed self build. I don't like the way modern computers look and function so keep as far back in time as I can while still being able to call myself a gamer.

Last edited:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    well I've got a box in my basement that I've basically made from recycled parts from computers I've seen out on the curb, still working on it though. I can't say that I'm actually working on a custom computer as it is a laptop, though I did upgrade the hard drive and RAM in it from the factory stock.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    I received my current computers for school work, so they were already constructed. My previous computer was made of hand-me-down parts, and I've had it since I originally joined PC, making it severely outdated to the core.

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    My PowerMac is obviously built by Apple

My Windows Workstation is built by me. Sure, you have to troubleshoot it yourself, but that's the fun part.

I'm thinking about getting the hardware and just building my own Mac. Sure, I'll have to circumvent the EULA but I can just put an Apple sticker on my hardware and make it "Apple" branded, XD.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Thus far, I have not built my own computer. I have, however, overhauled my old ones with new hardware. My old Aptiva 2139 used to have Windows 98 with a 10GB hard drive, an ATI Rage Pro graphics card (pre-Radeon card), 96 MB of RAM, an old wireless card that came with our router so many years ago, and a CRT monitor (max resolution 1024x768).

The hard drive broke, so I replaced it with a newer 80GB hard drive, which only cost a few dollars. I replaced the Rage Pro with the graphics card one of my other computers was using when I upgraded it (Nvidia 5600 FX), I replaced the 64 MB + 32 MB cards of RAM with 3 128 MB cards of RAM, replaced the wireless card after someone stepped on it, and replaced the broken monitor with an awesome deal I got at a garage sale: $5 CRT flat screen with a max resolution of 1600x1200. After a few of these upgrades were in place, I loaded an nLited version of Windows XP onto the system. The only parts I still have from the original computer are the case, the modem, the motherboard, and the processor (Pentium II, which is as high as the motherboard supports).

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I bought a prebuilt PC 3 years ago. Without really thinking much about it it's now an entirely different computer. Custom built, I guess.

I can't imagine it any other way now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2009
    I have a very slow 2gb ram and 1.79 ghz computer and i was wondering how much ram a 64-bit mac osx 10.5.6 (or windows 7) can hold? I want my next desktop to be a 4gb ram iMac but not sure if it can go up to 8gb of ram.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    My computer is custom made. I got it from Dell. But I think it is time for me to get a new one. The one I got now is from 2004. I will get a tower because I have a new monitor. But I will have the tower custom made. I will make sure it will have a fast processor so I can watch everything on HD on my monitor.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Well it's not custom made if it's made by Dell is it.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    It isn't, oh. Ooops...well I did tell them what I want on it. I assumed it was custom made. I guess not. But my next computer will be custom made.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    this one is a straight up home built, parts sourced on the net, designed by me custom built computer. And I'd do it all over again and again.. for my next computer or 2.

Most of the fun was in sourcing the parts.. looking at all the specs, figuring out what will (or won't) work well together. Next up is the actual building.. some satisfaction knowing YOU put it all together (and it works!) yourself, + you can take pride in the how it looks too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Nothing in the world is like powering up, for the first time, something you hand built.. the infamous "smoke test" - and having it work.. Installing your OS from scratch .. ahh the joys.

Can't beat it anywhere.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Mine currently is how it was store bought. It is from the year 2000 so imagine how bad it is. Actually, I opened it up and everything was encrusted with dust. The main fain had 3 broken fins. My brother, who is a computer technician said it was the worst one he has seen in awhile and that he is surprised it hasn't fried.

However, I am actually about to buy the parts for a custom one. Very strong computer actually and it is only costing me 200 dollars. It is strong enough to run the newest games for the computer out there, with power left over for more. Now my PayPal money just has to get transferred into my bank account quickly. :3~

Prox1mity

Within Range
    Years
    MY CUSTOM BUILT COMPUTER!!

i custom build mine

780sli

tri GPU 9800GTX+

Duo core CPU 3.16 By 3.12 NOT OVERCLOCKED I CAN OVER CLOCK IT To 4.1

Front buss Speed 1.2Ghz 9 USB PORTS

And a ANTEC CASE 4 Fans Includes A GIANT ONE ON TOP! :15:

Years
    Yeah, assuming that those gigs that you have don't explode from memory overuse! LOL

Well, my computer isn't that special. I'm about to finish the other 2 that I'm building(Pure Gaming Computers, which means a S**Tload of power).

Hey, at least I have M.U.G.E.N.

Back