• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Custom Graphics: Your Take?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
  • What's everyone's take on custom graphics in fan games(In this case since the community is so strong here, pokemon games)? Do you think they're a good idea? If so, how far is far enough? Is there a point where someone can add either too few or too many custom pieces of art?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think that as long as the graphics are in the pokemon style and look reasonable, then thats fine. They make a game stand out from others without just having to rely soly on storyline (not saying storyline isn't important)

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    Well being someone that makes my own graphics I would say it's about half and half. As you said if a game doesn't have them it's solely dependent on its storyline, but at the same time if its an up and coming project that hasn't been released yet, and all there is to go on is some pictures of maps using standard tiles then the people you're trying to appeal to wont know jack about the storyline. Although again me being a person that makes my own graphics I know how time consuming it can be. So with all that said it kindof comes down to the taste of the person making the game and what kind of people they want to appeal to. If you're a hardcore traditionalist and you want your games to look and feel the same as the pokemon games custom graphics are not the way to go, but if you're someone that is trying to come up with new ideas then you could probably go with them.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • I'd have to say that I do respect games with custom graphics, to a certain extent. I make a few of my own graphics, including custom menu screens. There is a point, however, when the developer will get so obsessed with making new graphics, that they will lean away from developing their story lines. In my eyes, the storyline is what makes a game, along with game play in some cases, and not the graphics. Just look at most shooters today. They are all terrible. Developers used to care about their game play and stories, like when Rare made Goldeneye. Now, everyone is obsessed with making a game with an awful two hour storyline, but loaded down with graphics and a multiplayer feature. And you see this with most of the games today, such as Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3. Try not to worry about the graphics until you have developed a story. Save the graphics for last.

Fblaster

Spriter Prime
    Years
  • I think custom graphics are a major thing in any game. When I come across a game with the same old graphics I'm just "meh..."

But I also think programmers should not get involved with spriting too much. Programming a game by oneself is hard enough as it is. Teams should be defined for each task.
    Atleast that's how we roll in our project =p

Years
  • I agree with the above. Custom graphics (as long as they look good) are always a good idea. It sets you apart from the other games.

But there is a "trifecta" of good gaming, namely good graphics, good UI (including a story) and good programming (so there aren't bugs). If any one of those are lacking, the game becomes frustrating, annoying, or unenjoyable.

Back