• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

pkmin3033

If you're playing World, then it's hardly surprising - the game is awful unless you have a group of friends to play it with to make it fun. It forces you through one of the worst stories I've seen in a video game in quite a while, and the "improvements" they've made to the gameplay actually frustrate the whole point of the game: hunting monsters.

If you want to get into Monster Hunter, play Generations instead. Or even Stories if you want a completely different experience. Or 4U if you're feeling brave, although I'd personally suggest 4U after Generations, which eases you into things a little gentler.

If you ARE playing one of the 3DS titles...yeah, you probably just need people to play with. Early game MH is quite frustrating as you're severely underpowered and the only way to get better gear is to kill things you can't kill because you're underpowered. It isn't hard to get stuck.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

A lot of people are singing World's praises, but to me to frustrates the whole point of the series by adding a bunch of unnecessary crap to make it more palatable to a Western audience. You spend more time wandering aimlessly around huge and difficult to navigate maps scraping up shit and footprints, and when you DO find the monster, it runs off.

And yes, the story IS really bad. That you can't skip it makes it even worse. It also forces you to scout multiple maps just to unlock monsters several times, which slows the pace right down.

But it's just become another game where you have to rely more on other people to make it fun, really. Multiplayer has always been a strength of MH, but with all the "improvements" they added to World, it's harder to get into.

Years
  • I think I'm about to buy DMC4 Special Edition since it's on sale now for like $8.

It'd be a steal I'd be missing out on and the deal expires tomorrow...

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Next year? It was released in February :o

It seems to have been received quite favourably by critics if that means anything to you, although the Xbox version is a little buggier than the PS4/PC versions...but this is nothing new, because Xbox. Whether or not you'd enjoy it...well, if you've been looking forward to it, then probably?

whatever do you mean "because xbox"?!?! Why, PUBG on there runs like some of the best early PS2 games!!!

Why is it that some ports are horribly executed in this day and age?

pkmin3033

Ports are a quick and easy way to make money, and whilst I can't begrudge companies for wanting to do that - after all, games are sooooo expensive to make, and they're poor impoverished little souls who NEED to exploit consumers if they ever want to stay afloat! - I do wish they'd actually bother to look over games and AT LEAST iron out the glitches even if they're not going to do anything else to them. There have been so many poor quality ports this generation...on PC, too. The shitstorm Chrono Trigger on PC caused was hilarious, and as for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana...it'll be interesting to see how disastrous the Switch version is.

...on a minor note, I have no idea when or why I bought Closure, but I have to admit that after today, I wish I hadn't...I am really not good at puzzle games. It just took me nearly an hour to clear Puzzle 6 of the final level...urgh.

Last edited:

TY

I probably need to stop playing CS:GO before my wrist decides to snap :c

and im not even good at the game

pkmin3033

So, the latest Steam beta FINALLY lets you use a Switch Pro Controller properly with Steam without having to go through the awful configuration rubbish that any controller not supported by Steam forces you to go through.

I've been waiting for this for a while...I bought a Switch Pro Controller when it was first released, assuming I'd need it for games like Monster Hunter XX...which was never localised, and the Switch is better played in handheld mode anyway. So it's been gathering lots of dust. Time to brush it off and play Alan Wake, which I have wanted to finish for...a very long time. xD

Years
    • Seen today
    So a few days back my coworkers got me Persona 5 PS3 as a birthday gift. I've now put more hours on my PS3 in the last three days than I have in the last three years.

I was emulating it using RPCS3 but I couldn't migrate the save data over (DLC issues from my downloaded copy), so I just restarted the game since I was only in the first part of the game still. I'm almost back where I left off, and man the game handles a lot better on a console. No more FPS dips and stuttering :D

Now to press on from here and to continue playing this game. I'm having far too much fun.

It's also kinda funny. In the first Palace I found a lot more Onyx while exploring, and I've also had more actions from enemies than when I emulated it, but I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

TY

I started to play NFSU2 again after I got it to work on my PC, only to get scammed by the URL races

I worked my arse off to beat a car thats 3x better than mine and all i get is a scam message

EA why... wait a minute

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I finally got around playing and beating Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Overall I really liked the game more than I thought I would. It has definitely aged a little, especially compared to later Metroidvania title and there were a couple times when I got really confused and needed to look up a guide especially when it comes to getting access to the second castle.
    I do find it hilarious how broken the game can be if you put just a little bit of time into farming equipment and grinding familiar exp.

pkmin3033

Symphony of the Night is great, but I do feel that the DS Castlevania titles perfected the formula it established...and Aria of Sorrow is still my favourite Castlevania title. Glad you enjoyed it, though!

Speaking of Metroidvanias, Bloodstained is still looking good. It had better be anyway, considering I backed it for a Switch physical copy, and the general state of high profile Kickstarters. Although Iga is not Inafune, and 2D titles generally withstand the test of time better than 3D ones do...which explains why Yooka-Laylee wasn't as good as it should have been.

pkmin3033

It's weird but, thinking about it, there are hardly any games that feature ripped middle aged men outside of fighting and sports games...and maybe FPS. It's always teens these days...

pkmin3033

I suppose there's always Uncharted too, although Nathan Drake isn't what I would call "ripped" so maybe not. Although it's a fairly good series worth experiencing even so.

Years
  • Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 coming to PS4. Not full Kiwami remasters, as expected it'll just be resolution, frame -rate and stability stuff. Seeing as the games are already translated (bar a chunk of side stuff in 3) I'd hope they'll release here without too much fuss.

Now some sort of Isshin/Kenzan localisation project please. I'm not asking too much here.

pkmin3033

I might look into getting the Yakuza titles a little more actively as a result of this - having a series split up across multiple platforms has always put me off it to some extent, and that aside it'll just be nice to have them all on one platform...as long as the HD ports aren't released at full price. Which I don't think they will be, because the Kiwami games aren't.

I want them to bring the Switch version of SD Gundam over here...or at least release the Asian English version. I've been looking into that and the Super Robot Wars games on PS4/Vita and I'd really like to try one.

Years
  • Don't quote me on this but I think I read that the Japanese will be selling them at 4000 Yen, so a touch over £25. Wouldn't surprise me of it was a bit more in the west seeing as it'll be the first play through for far more people here. Shame they haven't done them in a box set, although they are Japanese so it's not like I was expecting it.

Back