• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"DANG IT" - Frustrating moments

Years
  • Some of the later stars in Super Mario 64 DS gave me some trouble. I remember Wing Mario Over The Rainbow especially being extremely frustrating. Not only do you have to use the janky wing cap controls to collect 8 red coins, you go all the way back to the courtyard if you mess up and fall where you then have to spend 2+ minutes getting back to the stage.

Years
  • The first Barthadelus fight in FFXIII for sure. Not only was it a very sudden spike in difficulty but it was so obnoxiously long even well past the point where victory was a foregone conclusion. Also, discovering that Orbs are actually essential to progress to the end of the game in Spyro 2 and having to go back and complete all the annoying mini games to get them.

Days
    • Seen today
    Malenia Boss Fight - Elden Ring. Been at it with my friend for months now, only beat her today! I was SHAKING

Days
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I had these with almost every boss battle in Sonic Superstars recently. I don't understand how a game that can feel so good moment to moment when you're speeding through its levels can make its boss battles so unbearably frustrating and tiresome. They don't feel as though they were designed for 2D Sonic titles: each one has multiple phases, needs to be hit in a very specific area, and had a narrow window to do so. In a game where you can die in two hits it just doesn't feel very balanced. The Lagoon City boss is the worst experience I have had with a Sonic game since the 4 games. I'm not even kidding.

Getting a time of 0.00 seconds in the Catcher Chocobo race in Final Fantasy X didn't make me throw my controller out the window, but I DID throw it across the floor. I can deal with Blitzball, I can deal with lightning dodging, and I can even deal with butterfly hunting. But I cannot deal with those randomly placed balloons and gulls coupled with the worst controls I've ever experienced in a video game that don't revolve around motion or gyro in some fashion. I've done it three times since then, and whilst no time was as bad as the first (I've mellowed out a bit in my old age) it's still very much a "why did you do this to me" moment.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Malenia Boss Fight - Elden Ring. Been at it with my friend for months now, only beat her today! I was SHAKING
    I've always hated that one too. I think I've beaten her like 7 times at this point but she's still the only boss I really hate in the game. Even stuff that felt like bullshit at first to me like Radahn or Godskin Duo eventually felt fine, but Malenia is just like what the fuck were they thinking and why does literally anyone bother defending that

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Every single time in Yugioh Master Duel when someone builds a massive board, and then drops Maxx "C" on my turn... it has resulted in a lot of deskslams at times.

For those who need context: Maxx "C" is a card that basically says "Play the game, and you give me all the outs to your stuff".

I do not get mad often, but holy macaroni that card makes me boil why is it not banned.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • The first Barthadelus fight in FFXIII for sure. Not only was it a very sudden spike in difficulty but it was so obnoxiously long even well past the point where victory was a foregone conclusion.

Oh my god, Barthandelus... I'm pretty sure his second fight took me an hour to finish, just in one attempt. I had to go straight to bed after that because I was just so exhausted.

For me it was probably the final boss fight of Lightning Returns. It's a 4 phase fight. The first phase forces a pretty strict timer on you, so if you don't do enough damage you instantly lose the fight. The fourth phase requires you to use very specific skills to stagger him, which you aren't going to know the first time you reach that phase. It could mean you'd fail several times on the first three phases, don't realize you need to stagger him in the fourth, and have to do it all again. The game never taught me properly how to stagger enemies and no guides online I could find helped. I went out of my way to do all the quests I could, and even got the Ultima Weapon at the end of the game and I still felt way too weak. I tried for several hours before being so angry I had to stop. I don't think a game has ever angered me that much in my life.

Charcadet121

Emotional Warrior of Justice
    Days
  • I feel like my Dang It! moment was during my most recent run of Pokémon Scarlet, when despite having played through the game before, I still lost to Iono only bc I refused to get a sixth Pokémon on my team until I could train with my lvl 75 shiny Lucario mystery gift! I won the second time though...

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Pretty much any time I've played an RPG that had perfectly natural level scaling, only for it to all go to shit when the game randomly tosses a mid-point massive wall of a boss fight at you that makes you have to spend the next 10 hours grinding levels just to have a chance to beat it, only for the next set of enemies and bosses to drop back down to the original level scale pretty much breaking the rest of your run because you're now way too OP for everything but the final boss which also just happens to be a completely unbalaced wall just to make you waste even more of your time just to see the ending... *S.I.G.H.*

Years
  • Oh my god, Barthandelus... I'm pretty sure his second fight took me an hour to finish, just in one attempt. I had to go straight to bed after that because I was just so exhausted.

For me it was probably the final boss fight of Lightning Returns. It's a 4 phase fight. The first phase forces a pretty strict timer on you, so if you don't do enough damage you instantly lose the fight. The fourth phase requires you to use very specific skills to stagger him, which you aren't going to know the first time you reach that phase. It could mean you'd fail several times on the first three phases, don't realize you need to stagger him in the fourth, and have to do it all again. The game never taught me properly how to stagger enemies and no guides online I could find helped. I went out of my way to do all the quests I could, and even got the Ultima Weapon at the end of the game and I still felt way too weak. I tried for several hours before being so angry I had to stop. I don't think a game has ever angered me that much in my life.
    I have yet to play the sequels but I appreciate the warning.

I found the second and third Barthandelus fights much easier - or at least way less time consuming - than the first, myself.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    1. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. Cleared out Blackreach (the large, underground city). Glitched on the elevator outside. Cannot recall the precise issue. Might have been under the platform and constantly falling into the loading zones. Prevented fast-travel. Messed up the auto-saves too from re-transitioning in and out. Had a back-up save file at the very start of Blackreach, probably several hours back. Killed any motivation to continue.

2. Hack, Slash, Loot. A roguelike dungeon crawler. Ends in a few possible scenarios. Includes rescuing some type of royalty somewhere on the (randomly generated) final floor. Loses if they die.

Found the royalty once. Continued exploring, for whatever reason. (Maybe for carryover relics?) Probably returned just in time to see them die. Whoops.

Take 2: Looked for the person straightaway. Explored a lot of the map. Failed to find them. Lost without even seeing it. Chalked it up to bad luck.

May have attempted it a third time. Checked a couple of rooms before abruptly losing. Put down the game after that.

3. Pikmin 3. Was already not having fun on the final map between a time limit and constantly getting sent down a ledge by the boss chasing you. Reached a dark area. Watched the clock getting low. Opted to blitz through as much as possible. Followed a big, glowing set of yellow guide arrows on the ground...straight off a cliff (into water?). How are you supposed to trust the game when it tries to kill you? (Intends for you to build a bridge there. Requires hitting two switches first, or something to that effect.)

Back