• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Danganronpa 3 Anime Announced and Slated for 2016

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    What irks me is that as a game, SDR2 is really popular among the fanbase, and yet it has no anime, while we get this one that takes place afterwards. That's a big gap for the people who are just watching the anime. 2 was a pretty good story / character cast, and people who are strictly anime watchers won't get to see it at all now. Had some hope for it still until I found this thread. I'm still gonna watch the new anime, and hopefully it's better than the first one, but still wow.

@ The Steam thing, hopefully they'll at least put the second game on there, so that people could play it easier before watching the DR3 anime.

I love these games, but their companies make really weird decisions.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    It's not all that surprising if you think of the two anime as being wholly unrelated. Especially considering Danganronpa 2 really couldn't be as copypasta as the original due to the format of the game, and that the overall cost would be greater than that of the original (probably by a considerable amount).

Really, I'd assume they only considered doing an anime of 2 as promotion for V3, similar to how 1 seemed to a promotion for 2 (or the series as a whole, rather, in the cases of any DR anime). I wouldn't say Danganronpa 1 was obscure, but the anime was pretty damn accessible and I'd imagine it more than did its job in raising the series' popularity and jetting people into the second game. And considering they'd been on the fence about finishing off the 1 and 2 narrative or focusing somewhere else, both from a monetary and conceptual standpoint, this definitely has a bigger benefit. Fans of the first anime will either flock to 2 in a hurry before 3 comes out, watch 3 regardless, or buy V3 because it (probably) won't have much rooted in 1, 2, or 3.

Though considering the reception from the first anime, not sure if we'd be missing out on anything, anyways. Loved the first game, but I'm not particularly eager to jump into the adaptation.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    What irks me is that as a game, SDR2 is really popular among the fanbase, and yet it has no anime, while we get this one that takes place afterwards. That's a big gap for the people who are just watching the anime. 2 was a pretty good story / character cast, and people who are strictly anime watchers won't get to see it at all now. Had some hope for it still until I found this thread. I'm still gonna watch the new anime, and hopefully it's better than the first one, but still wow.

@ The Steam thing, hopefully they'll at least put the second game on there, so that people could play it easier before watching the DR3 anime.

Well, they first planned to make D2 anime, then Kodaka got lazy and this is the outcome =D
    On the other hand, they could have planned it :P With Steam release and so on.
    Chunsoft could get quite a bit of free money from this strategy =D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, technically speaking, DR2 doesn't contribute much to the main plot, so I'm betting they wanted to continue Naegi's story that was already building, thus the DR3 anime. Hopefully it'll be better than the first one so I won't be as sad that they skipped 2. Glad at that it's releasing on Steam, though. At least more people can play it easier. Maybe they'll eventually give it an anime too, buuuut I'm kinda doubting it. Might depend on how well the next one does.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Yeah, technically speaking, DR2 doesn't contribute much to the main plot,
    Heeee... what? :P
    Actually... don't you think it contributes more than original Dangan? =D
    It actually touches the despair side of the story, which is even more important than the hope side.

I also definitely prefer original, but I wouldn't say D2 does not contribute much ;)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Thank god it's coming out on steam! Been wanting to play it for a while - especially SDR2.

No announcement on the cost of the games yet? How much is this gonna take away from my wallet xD

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I bet you'll they'll still be charging upwards of $20 for them. Hopefully it'll still be okay for their sales, because it's a good way to promote the new anime and the series in general. There's been a serious lack of Danganronpa around lately, and I miss it.

Heeee... what? :P
    Actually... don't you think it contributes more than original Dangan? =D
    It actually touches the despair side of the story, which is even more important than the hope side.

I also definitely prefer original, but I wouldn't say D2 does not contribute much ;)

Thank you, I used to try to use that to stick up for it, but then people shit all over it with convincing reasons as to why it contributed nothing, and I was like "They have a point, BUT STILL A GOOD GAME". IMO you do learn more about the story and such, and more about Junko and Monokuma and etc. Though, you could still technically skip it and not miss much plot-wise, since they're stuck on one single island and not connected to the main cities and Naegi's story. Not sure why anyone would wanna skip it though, IMO it had better characters.

EITHER WAY, SDR2 is coming to Steam, and I'm really excited.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    UPDATE (With many, many spoilers)

Spoiler:

So yeah, it's going to be both a sequel and a prequel, and cut into parts. The first part airs in July. The second part, the prequel, I'm hyped to hell for. Good things are coming our way.

-That in mind, it's a much safer bet than ever that you're going to need to play both DR and SDR2 before going into this.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I'm more confused than ever. This is not a sequel to DR, but to a prequel to DR 2 and a sequel to DR 3. Did I get that right?

Why so confusing lol

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I'm more confused than ever. This is not a sequel to DR, but to a prequel to DR 2 and a sequel to DR 3. Did I get that right?

Why so confusing lol
    It's not really all that confusing. The first part of DR3 is, disregarding Danganronpa V3, the latest in the timeline, so it takes place after DR1 and DR2. The second part is a prequel to the events of DR2 (and considering the contents of the spoiler-filled video, probably DR1, by extension).

Put simply, Part 1's a sequel to DR as we know it, Part 2's a prequel to at least 2.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    2 volumes, huh...
    That most likely means split cour...
    Well, at least Future arc is first. Despair arc does not interest me that much (unless Chiaki xD) unless they show the whole despair past, in that case it should be interesting.

Why so confusing lol
    2 cours.
    First one (Future arc) is D3.
    Second one (Despair arc) is prequel to DR2.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    I have absolutely no idea why I was thinking this:

Spoiler:

I'm really interested especially with prequel SDR2 since I thought they were completely skipping it.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Spoiler:

TRAAAAAAAAAILER TIME

2 things to note. First: Don't watch this if you haven't played 1 or 2. Or watched 1 and played 2. Though 1's on PC now so why would you even watch 1 just go play it. Really. Go. It's great.

The second thing: Apparently the writers saw Satoshi's tears and decided to grant him a wish.

Also, the opening for Zetsubou-hen is nice, nice, niiiice. I'm looking forward to it. Really, the whole trailer is- really looking forward to Zetsubou-hen, but Kibou-hen should be some good ol' Danganronpa fun, too.

Years
    Does anyone know if knowledge of Ultra Despair Girls's story will be needed for this? I've played the first two on Steam, and as UDG hasn't come out there, I haven't had a chance to play it. I'd like to watch this as it goes, but if UDG will be important I'd have to wait til I'm able to play it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    The second thing: Apparently the writers saw Satoshi's tears and decided to grant him a wish.
    Uchi loves me, Kodaka loves me.
    Too much influence I have.

Does anyone know if knowledge of Ultra Despair Girls's story will be needed for this? I've played the first two on Steam, and as UDG hasn't come out there, I haven't had a chance to play it. I'd like to watch this as it goes, but if UDG will be important I'd have to wait til I'm able to play it.
    Nah, Naegi imouto spin-off is just a spin-off. The story is more like unrelated canon than anything. It only shows what's happening in branching time. Not in the main timeline.
    I mean, the only related things are fake Naegi being present and the last scene.

For Mirai, you only need to know D1 and D2.
    For Despair, you technically only need D1 xD

Back