• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did Game Freak run out of paper?

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
Years
  • No manual, no artwork! The club nintendo code was on the backside of the cover, it made the inside look really bad.

The game is great so far! But the packaging ticked me off a little :|

What do you guys think? It's me just being stupid, or any of you think the same?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Welcome to the video game industry of today, where everything is digital.

It's not just Game Freak or even Nintendo. You ever buy any Vita games? Good luck finding an actual manual.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Welcome to the video game industry of today, where everything is digital.

It's not just Game Freak or even Nintendo. You ever buy any Vita games? Good luck finding an actual manual.

Wait, what? I pre ordered the manual for these games, I haven't picked it up yet, but did buy it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Nowadays manuals only have technical info. In the old days they used to have stuff like controls and what you would find in the game (enemies, weapons, etc.). Compare an RBY manual with an ORAS one and you'll see. The RBY manual had the type chart for example, a big help.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah, game manuals aren't really a thing anymore. It's been like that for years. Most games these days will just have a page giving you a rundown of the basic controls and that's about it.

Years
  • That's how it is with basically every single game ever. If you want any sort of book with info on a particular game, you'll have to buy the guidebook, and those are useless most of the time (I remember when Pokemon guides had Trainer rosters and the full PokeDex in them).

Also, I'm pretty sure this is more of a Nintendo thing than Game Freak's doing.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
  • It's not just Game Freak or even Nintendo. You ever buy any Vita games? Good luck finding an actual manual.
    No, I don't have a vita but all of my Ps4 games comes with a manual or some sort of extra like a map of the game or something.

Yeah, game manuals aren't really a thing anymore. It's been like that for years. Most games these days will just have a page giving you a rundown of the basic controls and that's about it.
    That's how it is with basically every single game ever. If you want any sort of book with info on a particular game, you'll have to buy the guidebook, and those are useless most of the time (I remember when Pokemon guides had Trainer rosters and the full PokeDex in them).

I understand about the manuals. But the game didn't bring anything! Only some sort of health and warranty info. I mean, atleast put a picture of Groudon and Kyogre in front of that warraty guide to cover it.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • They just simply put the manual in the cartridge instead of in the cover. Why they do that is beyond me. There's not even a lot of artwork in it! It used to be full of art.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Man, I miss the days when you'd buy a game and there was more to it than just sticking it in the console and playing it, you'd go through the whole box, admire that, and take out the manual, read it, admire the pictures, all that good stuff! Boy has the experience of buying a game been less thrilling in recent years. Nowadays it's only fun when there's a Limited Edition kind of thing with artbooks and figures, and stell boxes, and other cool stuff!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • That's how it is with basically every single game ever. If you want any sort of book with info on a particular game, you'll have to buy the guidebook, and those are useless most of the time (I remember when Pokemon guides had Trainer rosters and the full PokeDex in them).

Also, I'm pretty sure this is more of a Nintendo thing than Game Freak's doing.

I take it you're younger than I am. This is how manuals looked like back in the day: http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/...mated/Super_Mario_World_-_1991_-_Nintendo.pdf

Plenty of info about the game in that one. Nowadays devs don't even make an effort. It's all digital or slapped into the game in the form of tutorials.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I loved flipping through the instruction manual when I was younger and I would have liked to read one before I started playing. I was very disappointed to find the game and that little paper inside the box. The game is great though!

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    After checking out my own Alpha Sapphire case, I too realise that Nintendo hasn't included the little booklet.

...I don't see why this is so important. Yeah, it may be a cheap way for Nintendo to save money (it does help the environment, though!), but by this point many gamers, including rookies, would instantly know the general rules of Pokémon. You control the game with a D-Pad and buttons, you catch and battle Pokémon, you use moves to get through the game, you name it. The game itself also tells you what to do next and where to go. Pokémon has always been rather easy and because of that, I like to think that it's kind of pointless to have the booklet.

Years
  • I take it you're younger than I am. This is how manuals looked like back in the day: http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/...mated/Super_Mario_World_-_1991_-_Nintendo.pdf

Plenty of info about the game in that one. Nowadays devs don't even make an effort. It's all digital or slapped into the game in the form of tutorials.

No, I remember when they had useful info, I'm not that young :P

I probably should've worded my post better- what I meant was that nowadays they usually don't include anything of use in them, assuming they include them in any form at all, so you're stuck buying the official guide for that sort of thing...which also tend to not be particularly useful, at least as far as my experience with the ones they make for the more recent Pokemon games go.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • No, I remember when they had useful info, I'm not that young :P

I probably should've worded my post better- what I meant was that nowadays they usually don't include anything of use in them, assuming they include them in any form at all, so you're stuck buying the official guide for that sort of thing...which also tend to not be particularly useful, at least as far as my experience with the ones they make for the more recent Pokemon games go.

Oh well, the gaming press outsourced walkthroughs to gaming FAQ sites. Free of charge. I used to like reading walkthroughs in magazines, but looking back they weren't as complete as the ones players can produce.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Well did they run out of paper? I didn't know that, why did I even buy the manual then, time for a refund.

I believe to OP is referring to the manual that comes in the box with the game, not the guidebook that you buy separately.

Back