• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you use the very first Pokémon you caught?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
...Probably? Would have been Rattata or Pidgey. Remembers avoiding catching Pidgey in Generation 2 because of using it in Generation 1.

Runs into one major problem here. Owned one copy of Red. Shared it with a sibling. Recalls Raticate on their team. How exactly did the whole sharing thing work? Never started a new game on Red. Likely agreed on Squirtle. Who did what back then? Also, how much are memories of Yellow messing with this?

Years
Nope. The first Pokémon I caught was a Caterpie in Yellow, I was either 6 or 7. At most I might've grinded it up to Metapod, but at that age I would've had no patience for Metapod lol.

I remember struggling with Brock; I didn't understand that Geodude/Onix were Rock/Ground, and I didn't understand that Ground was immune to Electric.
My friend at the time just told me to grind up in Viridian Forest. Since then I've learned that grinding Caterpie would've given me Butterfree with Confusion, but instead I grinded my two Nidoran until they learned Double Kick.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
The first Pokemon game I ever played was Yellow technically, but I was so young that I never even got the first Gym badge. (was like 4 at the time lol) But if we're counting the first Pokemon game that I played when I actually knew what a video game even was, that would be Fire Red, and yes, I did use the Pidgey I caught on the first route I entered after getting Pokeballs. I made that damn bird a champion lol. :p (even if most of the game was actually won with just my Charizard lol)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
My first team in HeartGold consisted of my starter, the mascot legendary, a random high levelled mon I caught lategame, and a couple of other random late or mid game mons. So no, I'm sure I didn't use the first mon I caught, whom I have no clue who that even was.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
My first capture in Pokémon Blue was likely Pidgey. I'm sure I used it as my flier, but I don't recall keeping Pidgeot on my late-game team. I likely replaced Pidgeot with Aerodactyl or one of the Kanto legendary birds.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Yes. It was a Pidgey in Leaf Green. Named with random letters because I wasn't yet literate. Renamed 'speedbird' and taken to the elite four as I got older and figured out what I was doing.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
My first capture was a grubbin in sun, and of course I used him! I even kept it a charjabug, because it's the cutest thing i've ever seen, lol.

Days
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Yes, my starly became a strong staraptor through my playthrough in diamond. I started to change my training techniques and started to train everything I caught starting in black 2, but fell off. X is where I trained all my pokemon including random shinies I caught to level 92-96 from a Caterpie to zygarde. There are only few that I haven't trained up to these levels, but that was before I had any Internet to trade with people who had y or oras. Recently tried to max out the levels of all the original 151 pokemon of Pokemon yellow, but I'm a bit depressed about the 3ds servers shutting down and eventually pokemon bank.

Last edited:
Days
i borrowed someone else's GBC i never got to keep my first Pokèmon :sadwick:

Like everyone else in RBY probably a Pidgey. i would have kept Pidgey on my party until a more leveled Pokèmon showed up.

Days
It was a a Bidoof in Diamond Version. Yes, I used until around the 4th gym, then shover it into the PC Box and never used it again

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Pretty sure I boxed it. No recollection of it being on my Hall of Fame team or having even evolved it, which is a shame because now I really like Furret.

Granted, Furret's later sprites were significantly cuter.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
To be honest, I don't even remember the very first Pokémon I caught. It was probably a Lilipup or a Patrat. I probably did use it for a little while until I found better options.

Back