• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
Years
    • Seen today
    Game is very unstable. My save game got deleted randomly so I got an exp cheat to help me get back to where I was faster, crashed and deleted upon opening the pc. Not wasting my time getting back hours of gameplay

What emulator were you using?

Because, dude...

DljCC2K.png

Right there on the front page. Not to mention...

oityVrR.png

Literally the first screen in the game sooooo.....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    On my way to Fuschia but posting some thoughts.

Game is basically straight up Fire Red with Digimon swapped in for Pokemon. Thats fine, would love to see it take on a life of it's own some day because I love Digimon.

I will say there are some pacing problems.

First off, the difficulty increase isnt noticeable until Brock where it completely broke down. I am not sure Im remembering correctly, but Gotsumon and Kudamon were his digimon I think? Gotsumon was easy to one shot with water moves from lower level, but no idea if moves are even available to beat Kudamon that early. Im just now as I write this seeing that hes water rock, which I never would have guessed. Just a weird typing for him in the first place. Im sure theres probably a grass move available somewhere, but I dont think I ended up with a grass type mon 4 badges in.

Beyond Brock however the difficulty curve evened out and at least up until where I am now (bridges south of Lavender on the way to Fuchsia) game has been very easy.

Some of the level scaling feels off - like Punimon doesnt digivolve to a rookie level mon until 20? Thats pretty painful as you try to play the game just due to base stat totals. Ill say even more painful when you arent actively looking at the full pokedex in this post because punimon I would have assumed would digivolve into tsunomon then gabumon - I did not realize until writing this up that baby and in training are treated as the same level here.

Move power scaling also seemed a bit problematic. For instance, you can get Dragon Rage fairly early on and just spam that for OHKOs all day because nobody has over 40 health - and if they do, its still only two hits which is way better than most other moves at that point. Similarly, when I unlocked Greymon with nova Blast enemies just became a joke again for a while. So at certain points you feel overtuned, and early on when all everyone knows is a bubble move and some stat moves the game feels incredibly slow and lacking in strategy. Im not sure if you followed fire red move levels or kind of just went with your own pacing, its been a long time since I played fire red and cant remember if that is an issue. I KNOW that new games avoid this issue and you basically start with type specific moves and get very wide move coverage early on. Might not be a problem with this hack and just a problem with Fire red pacing relative to newer games.

Overall, having fun, but also a lot to be desired. Id give it a 5/10 (where a 5 represents basically same quality as vanilla game, anything below 5 being changes that detract from game, and anything above 5 adding to the game).

Have some small nitpicks about some of the sizing of sprites, some of the pacing issues I mentioned, etc, but improvements to HMs and including custom moves (even if they might need some fine tuning) evens you out to a quality pretty much on par with the released game.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    On my way to Fuschia but posting some thoughts.

Game is basically straight up Fire Red with Digimon swapped in for Pokemon. Thats fine, would love to see it take on a life of it's own some day because I love Digimon.

I will say there are some pacing problems.

First off, the difficulty increase isnt noticeable until Brock where it completely broke down. I am not sure Im remembering correctly, but Gotsumon and Kudamon were his digimon I think? Gotsumon was easy to one shot with water moves from lower level, but no idea if moves are even available to beat Kudamon that early. Im just now as I write this seeing that hes water rock, which I never would have guessed. Just a weird typing for him in the first place. Im sure theres probably a grass move available somewhere, but I dont think I ended up with a grass type mon 4 badges in.

Beyond Brock however the difficulty curve evened out and at least up until where I am now (bridges south of Lavender on the way to Fuchsia) game has been very easy.

Some of the level scaling feels off - like Punimon doesnt digivolve to a rookie level mon until 20? Thats pretty painful as you try to play the game just due to base stat totals. Ill say even more painful when you arent actively looking at the full pokedex in this post because punimon I would have assumed would digivolve into tsunomon then gabumon - I did not realize until writing this up that baby and in training are treated as the same level here.

Move power scaling also seemed a bit problematic. For instance, you can get Dragon Rage fairly early on and just spam that for OHKOs all day because nobody has over 40 health - and if they do, its still only two hits which is way better than most other moves at that point. Similarly, when I unlocked Greymon with nova Blast enemies just became a joke again for a while. So at certain points you feel overtuned, and early on when all everyone knows is a bubble move and some stat moves the game feels incredibly slow and lacking in strategy. Im not sure if you followed fire red move levels or kind of just went with your own pacing, its been a long time since I played fire red and cant remember if that is an issue. I KNOW that new games avoid this issue and you basically start with type specific moves and get very wide move coverage early on. Might not be a problem with this hack and just a problem with Fire red pacing relative to newer games.

Overall, having fun, but also a lot to be desired. Id give it a 5/10 (where a 5 represents basically same quality as vanilla game, anything below 5 being changes that detract from game, and anything above 5 adding to the game).

Have some small nitpicks about some of the sizing of sprites, some of the pacing issues I mentioned, etc, but improvements to HMs and including custom moves (even if they might need some fine tuning) evens you out to a quality pretty much on par with the released game.

Thanks for the feedback! Feel free to post a screenshot of your Hall of Fame once you beat the E4. I'd like to hear your full review after completing the game. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Capture2.png

Rival battle outside Viridian was tough, massive level jump it seemed. E4 was not terrible in comparison. Had a bit of trouble with the first 2 (multiple attempts there), and then broke through and swept remaining in one go. Cut with ATK boost carried me w/ phys attacker M chamirimon

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Capture2.png

Rival battle outside Viridian was tough, massive level jump it seemed. E4 was not terrible in comparison. Had a bit of trouble with the first 2 (multiple attempts there), and then broke through and swept remaining in one go. Cut with ATK boost carried me w/ phys attacker M chamirimon

Impressive you won with an underleveled team! (I know because two of your mons there aren't even fully evolved). Thanks again for playing. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Impressive you won with an underleveled team! (I know because two of your mons there aren't even fully evolved). Thanks again for playing. :)

Justimon was lvl 45 from saffron fighting gym, don't think he ever landed an attack haha

Rabbit guy was under leveled, but his endure ability + counter was a guaranteed kill a couple of times. Paildramon was largely useless, weak to too many types (he didn't evolve to paildramon until final run)

If I could have any requests that are still relatively simple, Id say just more branching evolutions, earlier evolutions, and maybe allow XP share earlier in game

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Justimon was lvl 45 from saffron fighting gym, don't think he ever landed an attack haha

Rabbit guy was under leveled, but his endure ability + counter was a guaranteed kill a couple of times. Paildramon was largely useless, weak to too many types (he didn't evolve to paildramon until final run)

If I could have any requests that are still relatively simple, Id say just more branching evolutions, earlier evolutions, and maybe allow XP share earlier in game

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2022
    Eu gostaria que colocassem um xp ALL no game e muito difícil e custoso (tempo) ficar upando um Digimon de um a um se tiver alguma forma de colocar o xp ALL ou se já estiver incluso no game alguém poderia me dizer

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Eu gostaria que colocassem um xp ALL no game e muito difícil e custoso (tempo) ficar upando um Digimon de um a um se tiver alguma forma de colocar o xp ALL ou se já estiver incluso no game alguém poderia me dizer

Não. Remove o desafio.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Just beat the game, going for a living dex, but a couple questions, is there a vs seeker in the game? are there lucky eggs? if so where, it would take so much time to do a living dex without those.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Just beat the game, going for a living dex, but a couple questions, is there a vs seeker in the game? are there lucky eggs? if so where, it would take so much time to do a living dex without those.

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. No vs seeker or lucky eggs but there is the Exp. Share (you get it from one of Oak's aides).

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I dunno if it was intentional or not but the digidex list says Bancho Mamemon is Steel/Fighting but in game says hes Steel/Fire
    y5Ybsld.png

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I dunno if it was intentional or not but the digidex list says Bancho Mamemon is Steel/Fighting but in game says hes Steel/Fire
    y5Ybsld.png

Whoa, my bad. He's supposed to be Steel-Fighting. I can patch that in the next update. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2022
    Where can I find tsunomon in the wild? I feel like I've searched all over route 4 meticulously

Thanks in advance!

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Where can I find tsunomon in the wild? I feel like I've searched all over route 4 meticulously

Thanks in advance!

You sure you have the most recent version (downloaded from here)? Tsunomon has a 30% chance of appearing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2023
    Are there any Everstones in the hack?
    The typical aid outside the Rock Tunnel gave me a Soothe Bell instead?

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2023
    Yeah lol
    Wanted to just keep Patamon as himself, without having cancelling at every level.
    Thanks tho!

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    I have a question, are the levels capped by the badges? because I was wanting to use veemon and digivolve him before I face Misty but dont know if he would listen

Back