• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

dim3

Darkjagwar

lollerskates now available
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    Does anyone have experience with the game creation tool dim3? It said on the site that its possible to make 2D RPGs so I just wanted to know first if anyone has heard of it and second of all if it's possible to make a pokémon-style game on it.

thnx 4 anyone who helps

Waudby

dim3 uses OpenGL for rendering, OpenAL for audio, JavaScript for scripting (using Mozilla's SpiderMonkey implementation), XML for data and Simple DirectMedia Layer for resolution switching and input.

^ Taken from the dim3 page on wikipedia.

If you are looking to use this, then may I recommend using Sphere, as it also uses Mozilla's implementation of SpiderMonkey.

And I can safely say that it is suitable to make a Pokémon game out of it, just check out my game, Pokémon Odyssey if you want proof.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    Acctually....for now the most secure and the one that works best is RMXP. If you consider gettin it, get Flameguru's starter kit (Pokemon Essentials) which contains everything you need. I'm making my game with this and out of personal use, I can guarantee you that it will work.

darkerarceus

Advanced RM2K3-er
    Years
    Well i reccomend not to use Pokemon Essentials because it ends up mostly all games look the same
    Try using RM2K3 but you'll need to know alot about eventing just check out Pokemon Protectors.

Waudby

Acctually....for now the most secure and the one that works best is RMXP. If you consider gettin it, get Flameguru's starter kit (Pokemon Essentials) which contains everything you need. I'm making my game with this and out of personal use, I can guarantee you that it will work.

RMXP is only good if you have a spare $60 to part with and want to waste. Most people who use the starter kit have no idea how it really works.

If something went wrong they wouldn't be able to debug it as they weren't the initial creators of it. I know a lot of projects are using it, and they do all look the same, there's no new features added to make the user feel a fresh and new game, with the exception of a few games of course (Wichu's being one).

Taking the road of programming/coding things yourself not only leaves you with a game you know how to debug if an error occurs, it also welcomes you to the world of programming, and by learning ruby or javascript, you begin to understand the basics of most languages and then are only left with the syntax of each language to learn.

don't be fooled by the "easy option".

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    RMXP is only good if you have a spare $60 to part with and want to waste. Most people who use the starter kit have no idea how it really works.

If something went wrong they wouldn't be able to debug it as they weren't the initial creators of it. I know a lot of projects are using it, and they do all look the same, there's no new features added to make the user feel a fresh and new game, with the exception of a few games of course (Wichu's being one).

Taking the road of programming/coding things yourself not only leaves you with a game you know how to debug if an error occurs, it also welcomes you to the world of programming, and by learning ruby or javascript, you begin to understand the basics of most languages and then are only left with the syntax of each language to learn.

Most people using it don't know how to script or use the Starter Kit properly. This goes with everything...you need to know what you're doing and be good at doing it in order to make successful game. And changes can be always added if you have the knowledge (like you said before: Wichu). His game is living proof that not all the games using Pokemon Essentials are the same. I'm not saying that you are wrong, or that Sphere is bad, all I'm doing is suggesting Pokemon Essentials because it is the most user friendly for those who are not familiar with scripting or game making.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Pokemon essentials is easy but, with any tool it take a lot of scripting to make an original game. I use pokemon essentials and it is great.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years

I must QFT this. Exactly what I would've typed.

Back