• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Pokemon Have Sexual Orientations?

Can pokemon be gay?

• Yes absolutely

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No just no

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No, but they can be fabulous

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I'd rather not think of pokemon that way

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters

Shukawariosenpai

Pokemon Breeder/Completionist
    Years
    I've really wondered this... since attract is a status move that only works on the opposite gender I was wondering if a pokemon could even be gay. What are your thoughts?

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    They could be. Because different species of more over 200 animal, can be homosexual. So, why not pokémon too? But I don't think they wiil seen in the anime or games.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I've never seen such a thing, and while real life animals DO mess around with each other like that I don't really know if that would apply to Pokemon. Pokemon tend to act more like young children for the most part than animals as we know them, so them doing things like that seems unlikely to me. It's also worth noting that if you put two Pokemon of the same gender in the Daycare they'll play with other Pokemon as if they were from incompatible egg groups, so there's that.

Of course it still might be possible, but no one's ever actually SEEN it. But then again no one's actually seen a Pokemon laying an egg or breed... and it's also worth noting that unlike real animals two entirely different species of Pokemon can breed as long as they're in the same egg group, which means, again unlike in real life, that kittens can breed with giant sperm whales. Perhaps we're just better off not thinking of these things.

Years
    I remember there was one episode of the anime where Ash's Oshawott and Meowth were both attracted to a male Purrloin, even though they've both shown interest in female Pokemon as well. And Spherical Ice brings up a good point as well- plenty of people can admit that they find some people of the same sex attractive, but that doesn't mean they're sexually attracted to them.

I have no doubt that if Pokemon are anything like humans, there are probably some that happen to be gay, but I don't think it really matters either way in the grand scheme of things.

pkmin3033

Pokemon sexual orientation can't be strictly heterosexual in my opinion, because genderless Pokemon exist and can breed. In the anime at least a lot of genderless Pokemon are given defined genders - Meloetta is clearly female despite being genderless in the games - but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, as a lot of Pokemon are referred to as "it" even when they have defined genders. It's probable there are homosexual Pokemon, but I can't see it ever really becoming a major thing...unless Nintendo make it a major thing for the sake of having it in there, anyway.

...personally I always thought Pikachu x Piplup made more sense than Pikachu x Buneary in the DPPt saga anyway...

Light_Archer

Meowing for days.
    Years
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least some Pokemon that would be attracted to their own gender within that universe. I agree with Brendino on how in the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't matter all that much.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    What I think: It's natural for male Pokemon to be attracted to females and vise versa. But if Pokemon have an intellectual level close to a human's, they can be influenced to take on a "sexuality". But, really, all Pokemon are naturally straight. That's why Attract and Captivate work as they do: they target a Pokemon's natural tendencies. "Genderless" is more like a mix of the two.

In actuality: Homosexuality is seen as controversial in most countries. Pretty sure Japan is no exception, thus not included in Pokemon. The typicality is boy x girl, girl x boy. That's why Attract only attracts opposite genders. Not the answer some may want, but it's the most likely.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    love does not equal sex; there are tons of types of love not even beginning to talk about the asexual community who have romantic orientations and any person who has a different romantic orientation than sexual one.

regardless as i said before i doubt most pokemon understand any of these concepts. they just do how they do. and like meloetta said they cant truly be hetero is a bunch of them are genderless and also ditto

Last edited:

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Some people believe love and sex are interchangeable. Some believe they are different concepts. At this point, both are subjective concepts. Neither supporter should try to correct the other because of it; everyone interprets such a broad topic in a different way.

That's my perspective. Personally, I don't think it matters. Live your life, love who you love.

But honestly, homosexuality isn't that difficult of a concept in itself. It's male x male, female x female. If Pokemon can understand humans, they can understand that.

...also what do you mean, "Meloetta said", Anna?

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    If they are anything like actual animals, they are drawn to the opposite sex for mating and attractiveness but will use sexual power over the same sex to support dominance. It is like a survival tactic. It isn't as common but it happens. Think of having two male dogs in one roof. No females. They will "hump" each other to show dominance. lol At least, this is what I think but then again, pokemon aren't real.... yet.

Years
    I don't think Gamefreak will ever even hint at the possibility of Pokemon being not straight (ex. Cute Charm ability, move Attract - they're very heteronormative and I doubt they would bother to change it in later generations). But my headcanon is yes, they totally can, just like us! Homosexuality can occur in species other than humans, and Pokemon are also probably more intelligent than the animals of our world, it was even said in one of the Sinnoh legends that once Pokemon and humans could marry. I guess in that case it would be natural for them to be able to possess different genders and sexualities just like humans.

Back