• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you build a powerhouse or tactical team?

Years
  • It seems like a lot of online players will fill their party with Pokemon of brute strength and strong attacks, giving no regards to stat boosting or tactical moves

I love to leech seed my opponent, then spiky shield them or i'll use something like power-up punch as a last-hit move so that my pokemon will be just a little bit stronger when the next guy comes out

or do you like to focus more on one hit knockout moves, like earthquake and close combat?

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • Personally, I like to have a couple of Setups, then I move into all out mindless attacking. At some point, I get bored and I switch in my Lapras and disable them while I setup a Sheer Cold. So I guess a bit of both. I thought that was how most teams were?

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I don't competitively battle, so I don't delve too far into the making of tactical or strategically structured teams. Usually, I just use Pokemon I like. However, I do like to keep things balanced, so I like to have a variety of types and sometimes I note who would be better for fighting speedy opponents, defensive opponents, etc.

Years
  • Like Log I don't spend too much time battling competitively, but I do have a good balance of types and special/physical attackers to make sure I can cover a variety of Pokemon that I battle. I also like to have a couple of strategies if brute force doesn't work but that usually only applies to the Elite Four and beyond.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really like hyper offense teams, though I like to have a coverage move of each type in the game, and have a team that is relatively balanced in terms of typing, I don't really care if all of my mons are frail as long as they're attacking first and asking questions later.

Usually my teams have the core of starter + bird + Dragon-type

Years
  • Honestly I think if you want to do well in a competitive setting you need to be tactical regardless of if you're going for a more offensive or defensive kind of team, otherwise better made teams and/or better players are going to walk all over you.

In game though, go for you life and do whatever.

Years
  • I build neither. i build a team specificly made for taking down people who hack. or noobs who use all Shiny EV'ed Legendarys and mythicals they got from their friends. sometimes, i even just go on battle spot to completely torture a hacker with my leech seed-toxic team. so, i guess you could call it a sort of tactical-torture team :)

JOBO

o/_\O
    Years
  • For battle spot singles I usually have 2 hard hitters and 1 support mon to pass status/take status. It's a fast, high offence game type though so sometimes taking in 3 hard hitters is best.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I build neither. i build a team specificly made for taking down people who hack. or noobs who use all Shiny EV'ed Legendarys and mythicals they got from their friends. sometimes, i even just go on battle spot to completely torture a hacker with my leech seed-toxic team. so, i guess you could call it a sort of tactical-torture team :)

Do hackers use a specific strategy or team?

Years
  • Do hackers use a specific strategy or team?

Yes. Many of them do. They Start off with a Shiny Mega Rayquaza on the the Right, Then A Shiny Darkrai in the middle, and then they Put a Shiny Giratina on the left. whenever i see someone with a team like that. i know im battling either a hacker, or a noob. Most of the hackers iv'e battled (and completely humiliated) Use this team. then for the others, Iv'e seen (Shiny) Victini, Volcanion, Mega Diance, and the rest of the mythicals, but when i see they have these three, i always predict them and take them down, or torture them :)

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Yes. Many of them do. They Start off with a Shiny Mega Rayquaza on the the Right, Then A Shiny Darkrai in the middle, and then they Put a Shiny Giratina on the left. whenever i see someone with a team like that. i know im battling either a hacker, or a noob. Most of the hackers iv'e battled (and completely humiliated) Use this team. then for the others, Iv'e seen (Shiny) Victini, Volcanion, Mega Diance, and the rest of the mythicals, but when i see they have these three, i always predict them and take them down, or torture them :)

If you're playing unranked Battle Spot, there is no enforcement of the blue pentagon rule, so Pokémon obtained in prior generations are fair game to use. There have been shiny Giratina distributions in past years and there was a shiny Rayquaza distribution within the last year. Volcanion has already been distributed in Japan and Diancie has gotten a handful of events in the last couple of years.

I say all of this because sometimes I like to take my Doubles Ubers team on cart and if none of my friends who play that meta are around, I will take it onto unranked Battlespot, which is the only other way to play with mythicals on cart.

Just some food for thought.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I like to think I have a tactical approach to my all out attack, making sure I have good coverage moves as well as mixing Pokemon that can use status moves as well as all out attack, such as Stoutland, or set up some attack boosts, Floatzel.

My goal is definitely all out attack as that just fits my style better and Pokemon that can do that are friends of mine. Those who can get that nice mixed set with strong attacks and status moves like Toxic (with Protect) or Thunder Wave or even WoW with Hex are also greatly viable options for me when making teams

Back