• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider using the speed button cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliese

I Drink Nozz-A-La
Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2013
    I'm not sure if this exists on other emulators, but it does on the VBA. For those who don't know, when you hit the space button it speeds up the game significantly. Mine goes over 9000% (literally), which is really speedy.

Where I can see it being used for cheating is leveling up. I'll admit I've done this a few times, but not everyone may consider it cheating. Basically you just hold the speed button down while running back and forth in a patch of grass and battling. At 9999% once your Pokemon can easily take down the enemies in the area, leveling up is not that time consuming.

What do you guys think?

Years
  • cheating
    Verb:
    Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
    Deceive or trick.

Going by that definition, I think it's safe to say that using that is not cheating, as you're not really gaining an advantage - you're doing the exact same thing, just quicker. That's my opinion, anyway.

Years
  • I agree with the poster above. I've always used the speed button because I'm an impatient person and the normal speed just seems tremendously slow to me. I'm not battling competitively or competing with anyone, so the speed isn't giving me any sort of edge aside from simply saving me time and making the games more enjoyable.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • The only situation I consider it cheating is if the person was in some sort of timed contest, otherwise, I don't see the problem with speeding up your gameplay a little bit. It's almost like someone taking their time and enjoying a new game, and someone who rushes through as fast as they can to beat it, is the rusher cheating? Not really, but he's missing part of a wonderful experience.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I have never actually considered playing on emulator comparable to playing on actual console, so imo speeding is not cheating since you should care about cheating only if you are playing on console.

Rokou

» inactive
    Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2014
    Actually, it won't affect the gameplay in any way - you just save time. I often find myself using it while grinding for items / levels or whatever.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    That is not cheating. I use it all the time. If I didn't my Pokemon would take forever to level up. Like I am NOT spending hours upon hours just to level 1 Pokemon up 1 level.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2012
    I don't bother with the speed button anymore. I just set the throttle to whatever speed suits me. I found that holding the speed button as long as I did (most of the game) ended up cramping my finger, so I went with the next best option.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • Haha, why would you think it is? It's just a way to speed up parts of gameplay, like wild Pokemon battles. Anyways, that's my opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2021
    I tend to use the speed up button alot, like i never stop holding it, but I wouldn't consider it cheating. Like everyone has stated above it only speeds up the process of tedious things like grinding against wild Pokemon.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Not at all, however one can become used to just playing at this speed and relax into quicky getting-things-done like it's a job and thereby missing the out on the important story content of the game.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I don't consider it cheating, though it changes the gameplay experience quite a lot. The hours of grinding can be reduced to minutes with the speed button, and it just doesn't feel the same. Though then again, it is just reducing the time the various lengthy things in the games take, like grinding, backtracking while looking for something, returning back to a Pokémon Center or something like that from a long distance, and getting through Mt. Moon. All the stuff that we feel just takes too long.

Pinta77

Since its on an emulator, it really isnt cheating. The only reason I worry about cheating is because it is unfair in player vs. player contests. Since it's either impossible or impratical to battle on vba, i dont thibk it's cheating.

Chaxmonster

Grand Duke of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2013
    The speed button is not cheating, at all.
    It's there for the purpose of speeding up parts of the game, that would actually take much longer to go through on a console.
    Such as, grinding, lots of boring text, long traveling, etc.
    You're basically doing the same thing, but quicker so you don't have to waste time.

Years
  • The speed button is pretty much the only reason i play pokemon on the computer now. Well, not the only reason, but it's sure helpful. An hour of level grinding takes like 10 minutes. Not cheating.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I always wondered about this myself, but it felt like I WAS cheating for some reason. it always felt "cheesy" and made me wonder why I was playing the game at all. I like it and don't like it, it's a strange double edged feeling for me. >.<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back