• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Consider Video Games to be... Art?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • journey-game-screenshot-20.jpg

Well, here's a controversial topic for you, do you believe that video games can be a form of art, one way or another? Where does the 'art' come from, and how is it 'artistic'? Why do you, or don't you, believe that there is artistic value on video games? What kinds of video games do you believe that approach art as the form the most, or least?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    In the most general sense, yeah. Just about anything can be "art". Personally, I don't care a single bit about the debate, and I don't think anyone else should either considering artistic value doesn't say anything about quality.

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
  • I think that most games can be viewed as art. Especially the quirky indie games and very iconic games of the past. The think about art is that one person may think its the greatest, another may not understand, and the next may hate it.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I like how you put Journey in your post as a picture, as that's probably a prime example of video games being art. It's all about shapes and beauty, design and colour. Minecraft can be art, as it's about making your own shapes and form. Your designs.

Spoiler:

In my opinion, video games can be art. All it takes to make art is some creativity, right? Most games are full of that.

Years
  • i see them as art, they are ideas that were put into a form that is accessible to the people that want to see it. others may not see it that way because everyone views everything in a unique way, what may look like a masterpiece to one person could look like a giant pile of dog *** to someone else. to me the ones that are the most artistic are the ones that you can tell someone put their heart and soul into, not just something that was made for the sake of making it.

Years
  • Basically what everyone says. Art is subjective. And moreover, it tends to become relevant with the times.

The very definition:
    the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Because video games are a rather new medium, I think that it will be a while until games propelled for the sake of "art" itself will become a big subculture and or subsection of gaming in general. That is to say, we still got some time until we get a "Last Supper" or a "Tom Sawyer" of video games. But as it is, there are "artsy" games currently on the market. But again, it will be who knows when in the future when there is a game that is herald as a paradigm shift in terms of artistic integrity.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • If micromanagement counts as art, then yeah, I suppose. Just like trolling, even that's an art, too...as that occurs in video games (multiplayer-wise).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Graphic design is art. Music is art. Writing is art. Three great kinds of art rolled into one make video games the ultimate kind of art in my book.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

If this isn't art to someone, but some small square is, then we've got a problem.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • In a way yes, video games are definitely art. I mean I'm just saying but, I've seen more art in Video games than an actual museum, and that says a lot. Art isn't something very definitive in a form or manner, but if it isn't art then I can't think of anything else that is. Bottom line, Video games is an art, regardless of what game.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • In a modern and "non-conventional" way definitely yes!! Videogames require so much work and talent to create a unique world, how can it not be considered a form of art? You could even say there is different styles, from highly realistic worlds to abstract and colorful places. And not only that, but also the music that gives the games a whole new level of depth!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Don't forget about that game Flower for the PS3; if that's not considered art, I don't know what is.

I just got 100% on this game for my PS3! The trophies were really easy in it and the gameplay is super innovative and fun (although one or two trophies in particular were a pain), but the PS4 version has smoother controls and graphics which would be a real treat.

Some games that come to mind when I think of artistic games are Okami, Flower, Journey, and Ni No Kuni. All games are art, but if you're going to make an argument over how creative video games are, those would be a few prime examples to give, imo.

Even the screensaver mode on Red Dead Redemption had amazing landscapes. Like this.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Not me.

Art is subjective, and I personally have a strict definition of what art is, and I also have a strict definition of what a video game is, that being that it's a computer game that is meant to pass time. Video games can have artistic values, but so does everything else.

It's such a useless debate, anyway.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • By definition videogames are art. Someone might not enjoy a certain video game, just like someone might not enjoy a certain painting, song, or book, but regardless of its appeal to anyone, it is all still art. Just because something is new and different from traditional works of art and is created using computer software instead of a physical canvas doesn't mean people should deny this fact. Beautiful creations have been made in video games that took as much dedication and hard work as other forms of art.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Is that a meaningful question? Is it actually of any consequence whether something is considered artistic or not? I don't think so.

TY

A lot of things can be seen as art in video games, from the graphical aspect of the game till the small mechanics like micromanagement. Like in a RTS game, the structures are some sort of art, aswell as the map you play on.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Video games aren't art. They certainly CONTAIN art, but the core of a video game (what makes a game, a game) is how it's played, and that's not captured with the senses.

So, my opinion is that a video game contains art, but cannot be considered art by itself. If you call video games "art" you'll have to consider things like Pong as art, when Pong's graphics are the absolute minimum required and its "meat" is in its gameplay. So don't mistake a video game for the art it contains. ^^

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Video games aren't art. They certainly CONTAIN art, but the core of a video game (what makes a game, a game) is how it's played, and that's not captured with the senses.

So, my opinion is that a video game contains art, but cannot be considered art by itself. If you call video games "art" you'll have to consider things like Pong as art, when Pong's graphics are the absolute minimum required and its "meat" is in its gameplay. So don't mistake a video game for the art it contains. ^^
    I understand what you are saying about them containing art, but it seems like you are using the word art as a way to rate your opinion of the quality of something which doesn't work. For example I might not be a fan of The Mona Lisa, but I would still say "that's art" because it's artwork. The landscapes and characters created in video games are a form of artwork even if they all suck, just like like all genres of music are still music even if you dislike some of them.

Back