• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you consider Wonder Trade cheating?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    New to the forum so go easy!

I grew up with R/B/Y G/S/C and my last games were D/P/Pl. Yesterday I purchased Alpha Sapphire and it has blown my mind how much more advanced it is. One thing I've had particular fun with is Wonder Trade. Now I've only just got my first badge from Rustboro, and through Wonder Trade I've been extremely fortunate! My first two were Archen and Deino, which I now realise are fossil pokemon which I thought was pretty cool to get for free. Then a Lv. 15 Magikarp which knows Tackle, so I can train to Gyarados pretty easily. Following this were two Totodile's and a Bulbasaur, which again I thought was great considering they're starters from other Generations. Now a Lv 50 Gengar!

My question is, does anyone consider it somewhat cheating to use Pokemon obtained through Wonder Trade? I've only used Deino so far as he was Lv 1 and I've seen it has extremely high LV Evolutions so I'm going to use it through my game to make that easier later on. Do rare pokemon usually come through Wonder Trade?

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Depends really. In the literal sense, no it isn't cheating - but I get what you mean. This is one of the times you get to control the difficulty a bit. I mean sure, you can wonder trade for a rare Pokémon or trade over/import strong Pokémon from other games, but where would be the fun in that? :P Depends on your perspective as a player.

Do rare pokemon usually come through Wonder Trade?

HA! After 8 Wurmple in a row I can confidently say, no. :P Seriously though it is luck of the draw, and depending on how generous everyone is feeling at the time.

ugtgrime

Lomax
    Years
  • Yeah, best you can really hope for is a breeder pkmn with egg moves. However this thread should have probably gone in the trade section, plus you would get more replies there xD

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Yeah, best you can really hope for is a breeder pkmn with egg moves. However this thread should have probably gone in the trade section, plus you would get more replies there xD

Thanks for the replies. Do you know how to move the thread over there? As I said, I'm new :p

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Welcomet to the forums!

I'd be more inclined to say it was cheating if you ever got anything good from it, but in my experience it's pretty rare to get anything good from Wonder Trade. Most of the time I get Pidgeys and Zigzagoons. It sounds like you've been pretty lucky in your Wonder Trades!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • but in my experience it's pretty rare to get anything good from Wonder Trade. Most of the time I get Pidgeys and Zigzagoons. It sounds like you've been pretty lucky in your Wonder Trades!

ikr, TomDex I wish I had your lucky when wonder trading! :P

However I don't consider it cheating in most cases (unless you get some ridiculously powerful Pokemon... in which case I still don't think it's cheating, just taking a lot of the fun out of the game). I think it's a pretty cool idea to use Pokemon you pick up through Wonder Trade in your team. I've seen playthroughs where people have had their whole team be Wonder Trade refugees and they've played the game pretending they've rescued these Pokemon from negligent trainers which is a cool concept. But in short, I don't think it's cheating (: It's still a pretty fun way to play the game!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I wouldn't consider Wonder Trade cheating, because there's always that chance of getting a mediocre Pokémon even if you traded it back to another random trainer.

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
    Years
  • I've gotten amazing things through wonder trade ;.;

Stuff like HA Froakies and Fletchlings to dream ball Swablus and Ralts to Moon ball Gastlys and a Friendship Ball Iv Bred Teddiursa with good nature.

I still don't consider it cheating. Just resourcing ^.^ I want my valuable stache of random goodies x.x

Years
  • I have used WT for everything except completing my PokeDex. If I put more effort into something I fell usually more fulfilled once it's done. Still WT does great job when it comes to gathering poke miles and makes use for unwanted offsprings from breeding because you can always trade them for someone's else pokemon with different ID increasing your chances in the lottery :)

Years
  • Well, XY are usually considered easy enough, so if one is going to try for crazy Pokémon then it's not something I would do, but who am I to object to it. It's slim that they'll get something too awesome, anyway.

J-Storm94

John
    Years
  • The way I see it is, it's there for a reason. It's not cheating and besides most of the time, you don't get anything good from it.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • there's times where you can get some cool stuff. like on wondertrade wednesday. i got two shiny battle ready pokemon and a legendary(which probably is legal)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't consider it cheating, mostly because you're bound to get a useless Pokemon instead of something fun :P Additionally, sometimes I like to trade Pokemon to myself before I start the game (I actually gave myself a Deino while playing Black because I didn't want to wait but I wanted to use it during the storyline), so I don't really consider it "cheating," mostly because Pokemon puts a LOT Of emphasis on trading, though I won't admit that it makes the game significantly easier, especially with a tougher Pokemon like Deino.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    not really, no, because even if you were to get that level 50 gengar, it wouldn't listen to you anyway. Sometimes I don't use Wonder Trade as I have been recently getting junk. I've only had 1 good come from it - a Froakie.

SiriusAlpha

One and only
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    Wonder Trade isn't really cheating, it's just left up to luck. I tend to try not to trade garbage that often [strikethrough] (of course it usually backfires once I wonder trade all the stuff I'll never use at once for a cleanup) [/strikethrough] but as a pokemon breeder I can say that this is a great feature especially when I started and got a level 1 Aron with Iron Head, Jolly Nature and every stat besides SP. Attack trained a bunch when I just started in Y.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I have two WT Shinies. No complaints. Lots of junk, but it's like buying storage lockers (see Storage Wars) in that you have to sift through boxes of junk to find that one treasure.

Years
  • I think Wonder Trade is cool - especially if you're up for a Challenge. If you use only Wonder Trade Pokémon to progress through the game, you run the risk of them disobeying you without a particular badge etc which can make things somewhat more difficult on your playthrough - I always send out "breejects" into the Wonder Trade because someone will always have a use for a Pokémon! :)

Years
  • Let's just say there is a fine line between cheating and helping yourself a lot in Wonder Trade. Pokemon are MOSTLY legitimate in those trades. Also not everyone is lucky and get awesome Pokemon at their first journey.

Back