• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you consider Wonder Trade cheating?

Taemin

move.
Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't think it's cheating, it kinda just gives you this fun rush of hoping you get something awesome. In way, it kinda kept me playing the game more, because I got really hooked on Wonder Trade for a while. Even if you don't get something real good, sometimes it's amusing to see the various weird names that some of the Pokemon have. Wouldn't really call it cheating, because there's a chance that you can lose something good for like.. a Caterpie. lmfao

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Like everybody else here, I'm also saying no.
    i'm doing the same thing ^^ :D
    Only a few times I wonder traded some of my rare ones. But it didn't pay off, if you're not the
    one trading lvl1 common pokemon, it's someone else.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I can see that most people feel it isn't cheating, but specifically; I received a Level 1 Deino at the beginning of my game and I am using it in my usual squad. Would anyone consider this cheating because:

A) as it's traded, it gets more XP and grows quicker
    B) I've always considered dragon types to be stronger than others
    C) I'm not supposed to have a Deino by this stage

But then again, does anyone consider it not cheating because:
    A) it arrived at level 1 so it did start on an even playing field
    B) I received it through luck so I should just go ahead and use it

I tend to use it sparingly but I felt this was too good an opportunity to miss out on a full game's XP when it will need to be trained to Level 65 to finally evolve for my pokedex anyway!

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    I don't see how wondertrade could be considered cheating. The game isn't challenging in terms of difficulty and it actively encourages you to grind which makes your pokemon more powerful.

BumpsnStumps

A Lonely Stump
    Years
  • While one may get good Pokemon through wondertrade, I don't consider it cheating. As the enormous amount of bad Pokemon you get outweighs the good ones. Zigzagoons and Wurmples seem to be very often. The only really valuable Pokemon that I get through wondertrade are shinies, which I've gotten twice, and Pokemon that cannot be found in OR such as version exclusives or Pokemon from XY.

Zeleia

StainRose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I usually use WT to trade away my breedjects with better stats that I consider to wasteful to just release them, so its great if you make use of level 1 Pokemon you found on WT.

Dragon Pokemon has lower growth compared to other type anyway, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem. And level 1 poke on WT usually has good IVs and nature, so you can make use of them in post game Maison as well if you are into that, so no reason to not use them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    Well, since I've never been a person to like all the badass mons (Lucario, Charizard, Mewtwo, Blaziken, Metagross, Rayquaza, and so on...), I really enjoy the rejects: Sunflora, Corsola, Delcatty and stuff like that. Recently I've been having tons of fun with trolly movesets, so I suggest you guys trade stuff like: Volbeat (Modest/Timid nature), EV trained in special attack and speed with the moves: Tail Glow, Thunderbolt, Dazzling Gleam, Bug Buzz. Corsola with the moves: Calm Mind, Recover, Earth Power, Power Gem. It's fun to use in game, and I'm definitely fine with spending time EV training these mons because it feels oddly satisfying to trade a pokemon that's rather weak, but has perfect EV's, a good nature and a nice movepool. For the lolz. What's good about "in-game" is that you can make anything work, so why not try out something you wouldn't really consider. ^^

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I have never gotten anything good- never will, either. At least what I am trading is breedjects, so they are good.

I dont think it is cheating because you can't use pokes too high of a level without them not listening to you. Plus, they could have easily put wonder trade as feature for the post game if it really was cheating.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Wondertrade is a fantastic resource, I keep meaning to put all my 3/4IV breeding pokemon up on there because people can generally make use out of them after - of course if they know what they're looking for ;). It's really good though if you're not particularly after anything, you're not going to get stuff like Event pokemon because "you can't trade special pokemon!" but generally it helps when you're first starting out playing the game. For instance when I started playing Pokemon X (after an almost 10 year gap between Emerald and X) I used Wondertrade purely to see what I could get - yes I'm guilty of putting really terrible pokes up there :P but I ended up getting some Fossil pokes and other good trade fodder, which was awesome.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I don't think its cheating its a fun little resources because you never know what your going to get until it arrives.

Back