• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you currently have the career that you wanted?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Everybody had something that they wanted to be when they grew up. Are you that? If you are still a kid, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • To be fair, most of the kids I grew up around wanted to be 'ViDeO gAmE tEsTeR! 😄's without actually knowing what that career really meant.
    Even then though, I'd still prefer spending hours doing the same thing over and over again in a video game to what I actually ended up with.

Years
  • When I was a child I wanted to become a veterinarian and now I am studying psychology. I love animals, but honestly I can't really stand the actual work of a veterinarian. I also became much less resistant to the view of blood when growing up.
    Now, will I actually work in the psychology field for the rest of my life? That's also a good question lol

Years
  • Yeah! Well, almost? I wanted to be a game programmer and now I'm a software engineer. It's kind of the same and probably better for me in terms of work-life balance and other things.

Years
  • I never had anything I wanted to be while growing up.
    I was too focused on surviving school in the first place as I didn't fit in at all.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    No. I wanted to be a writer who could make an ok living on my works.

Instead I'm a researcher working physically in a lab. Well, I write scientific articles too, I suppose.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • When I was growing up I went from wanting to draw comics (like those in newspapers, not superhero stuff, I was never into that) to being a professional musician (first on trumpet, then clarinet, and finally bassoon lol - my high school instrument interests were very turbulent).

Am I any of those? Nope.

In fact, what I am is something my high school self would hate. I work in data entry, an office job. I know my high school self would hate me for this because I have diary entries saying exactly that, I hated the idea of working in an office. Alas... Life is complicated, for just a couple of years ago, I would have given anything for this office job, because I needed it for my health. My high school self had no health issues. She couldn't understand. Still, I can feel the remnants of that feeling and am sad that my dreams of being a professional musician could never be.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Even as a kid I never really thought much about "what I want to be when I'm grown up". I just usually repeated what everybody said. That way people would leave me alone. And even now that has not changed. I work the job I have because people expect me to work.

Tbh. the whole concept of "wanting to be when grown up" seems very strange to me. Like, I don't get why people put so much importance into that. Well, I do know that capitalism plays an important part in that. Still: it's a thing that just never made sense to me.

Years
  • in my mid teens i wanted to make it as a Youtuber bcs i was so envious of Pewdiepie just playing video games for a living. now that i realize just how taxing that kind of lifestyle is, i'm happy i never continued putting all my energy into my channel. you learn eventually that there's stuff in your life you shouldn't monetize, else you suck the fun out of it.

Years
  • Kind of? But also no? I'm a writer, which I always wanted to be, but I never saw myself trying to make it my main thing.

From the age of like 11+ what I wanted was to be a teacher. The specifics of that shifted around a bit, but it was pretty much always the plan. I was even halfway through my degree when the shit hit the fan and I had to change things drastically accordingly.

So... now I'm an author. I'm a long way off of being able to actually call it a career, but I hope to be able to reach that point in the not-to-distant future because I don't like the alternative.

The weird thing is that even if my health issues all went away over night I'm not sure if I'd go back to studying education. I still love the idea of teaching, but I'd have to start my degree from scratch by the look of it and I have no desire to do that. Besides, the actual course is really stupid. You use like 10% of it max and the rest would be time better spent on practical learning.

Years
  • As a child I wanted to be an author but my mom would tell me it likely wouldn't be enough to pay all my bills and live comfortably enough lol, and that dream faded away as I got older anyway. Once I got older I....actually never knew what I wanted to be? Even in my 30s I still don't really know. A mechanical engineer would be cool if I wasn't bad at maths (also nursing if I had the mental capacity to handle all that stress) but I never enjoyed physically going to work no matter the job, it always made me depressed. So I guess I kind of do have my ideal employment currently since I work from home right now?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When I was younger, I wanted to be a veterinarian. As time went on, I realized that becoming one would mean dealing with hurt animals, and I developed a fear of needles. There's also the fact that veterinarians have a high rate of bad mental health from dealing with terrible human beings. My mental health isn't the best.

Next goal was to become a writer. But I found out that I don't have anything original that I want to write about.

Oddly enough, right now I work at the place that I don't think child!me would admit to anyone. I work at a grocery store. Have for years. Still happy there, but I would like to do more with my life. What I would like to do will take a lot of hard work (learning one of the most difficult languages for English speakers), but I'll get there eventually.

Roxas

[span="color: #d10303; font-size: 10px; letter-sp
    Years
  • Mrrrrmmm unfortunately no - once I can find a workplace that has proper accomodations & environment though, I'd be pretty pleased

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I wanted (and still do) to do so many things that the answer is yes but also no at the same time, if it makes sense.

Back