• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Do you like the new EL (Effort Level) System? Should it be in future games?

JDragon921

THE gen 4 guy. or not. idk.
Years
  • So I beat the game and honestly had an absolute blast. This game has been some of the most fun I've had in a Pokemon game, making memories and building bonds with my mons. Didn't do much of this since Platinum or X. I've played it pretty much nonstop. I love building teams for playthroughs, and I thought the EL system was perfect.

Don't need to worry about catching a bunch of Pokemon to check which have good IVs, then worry about EVs messing up IV calculation, or dumping a bunch of EVs and it goes wrong.

I just get to put some grit on the Pokemon if it's behind in ELs, then move on. Releasing a bunch of mons for grit items is so good and satisfying too. (even if I get too attached to some of them and just keep them there)

This seems like a REALLY good mechanic to have in more mainline games since this makes team building easy, quick, and fun. What do you think?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yes, I think it's a much better system and I'd love to see main games adopting it or doing something similar. Imo the whole IV system should have died in a fire long ago, and EVs being a more visible and easy to control mechanic is a good idea too. The less we have to rely on absurd RNG the better.

Years
  • Yes, but no. I haven't tried it yet, but I get how it works. I m glad it's becoming easier to "train" pokemon, but on the other hand I wouldn't like this system to be applied to main series games. One of the main reasons imo is that competitively, IVs and EVs are more interesting. That's just the old classic main pokemon system and I kinda like it. I do agree on the fact that EVs and IVs should be shown more clearly to players in main line games, but I also think it became way easier to make competitive Pokemon during the years. It's extremely easy in Swo/Shi. However, I like this new system and I would like to see it on some future games, but not main line ones. So, basically other "Pokemon Legends" games, I guess.

However, actually using it I may change my mind...

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I also think potentially replacing EV's/IV's with Grit should be added to future Main Games/remakes, I'm just not sure tying it to Pokemon Catching is a good idea in a more Mainline game where your primary focus isn't research, and your not getting paid for every catch you make, and releasing Pokemon in swarms, which is really against the whole message of Pokemon friendship mattering.

Maybe just have them in shops, and you can only buy certain levels when you have certain badges?

If you make them pretty expensive as well, you could make money matter a bit more in Pokemon games, and would similarly encourage you to plan your party well and stick with your current members since you choose to invest the Grit in them just like EV's do the same in the normal mainline games.

Although while I think EV's serve an important service, and completely replacing them with Grit might need to be handled carefully, I think IV's can go die in a garbage fire, as I've never seen them as being useful or enjoyable.

Although for the EV side, I'd also just welcome a return of things like Super Training which was fun mini games to EV train your Pokemon. One of the things I loved about X/Y the most, and was sad to see it wasn't kept.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I also think potentially replacing EV's/IV's with Grit should be added to future Main Games/remakes, I'm just not sure tying it to Pokemon Catching is a good idea in a more Mainline game where your primary focus isn't research, and your not getting paid for every catch you make, and releasing Pokemon in swarms, which is really against the whole message of Pokemon friendship mattering.

Maybe just have them in shops, and you can only buy certain levels when you have certain badges?

There are plenty of ways they could be obtained in the main games. Obtained in packs from gym leaders and certain other important trainers (obviously the stronger the trainer the better Grit you'd get), held item on certain wild Pokémon (such as Geodude or other common Rock Pokémon having a high chance of holding grit dust), obtained in side-activities such as Sinnoh's Underground or something like that, hidden in certain locations to reward exploration, craftable in a similar way you can harvest Berries, etc.

Years
  • It's much better. Increasing EVs is a lot more accessible/stress-free now, and while I know some people may not like it being that quick, I appreciate it cutting down on grinding time. Definitely would love to see it in future games.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Honestly, yeah, I think it would be a nice way forward. Issue is it might be a mess with tracking EVs in their current form to this (or another) simplier version, and converting those in HOME or other games, and not sure GF are that keen to do it (or in their ability to do it well - they initially got an aspect wrong in the gen 1 -> Bank transfer code). So I don't see it happening.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2022
    I loved this game it is the best game I have playing many games but this game has special attraction for me. I am great in building teams for playthroughs, and I thought the EL system was exceptional.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Definitely, the EL system is a much-needed improvement over EVs and IVs. Apart from everything that's been mentioned, though, ELs would be a much better system if there was a limit to how many total ELs you could give Pokémon (much like with EVs). Giving your Pokémon ELs of 10 in four, let alone five or all six stats, seems just a bit unbalanced, especially since an EL of 10 is MUCH stronger than an EL of 9. EV-reducing Berries could still be used to make this process a little less frustrating.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, I thought it was a cool concept. Removes all the math and the need to build a "perfect pokemon". But, I'm sure they aren't going to get rid of the ev iv system, honestly. This was probably just for Legends only.

Back