• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
  • I've probably nicknamed a few of my Pokémon in the past, but ever since then, I haven't done it in a long time. I tend to forget the names I give my Pokémon, and then I end up calling them out by their original names. So, I really don't bother doing it much anymore.

Jirachel

You steal my apples, you die.
    Years
  • I do nickname my Pokemon, mainly after my friends/people I know/people I know from various internet sites. It's kinda funny, telling them: heeey, you're my *insert random Pokemon here* in my *insert random Pokemon game here*! It's kind of a nice little thing to do, and I'm usually not very good with nicknames, so it's more convenient that way.

켄니씨

>Insert C.U.T Here<
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    Breloom, Female- Mushi (Idk its a mushroom and i think thats a japenese girl name.)

Just a heads up,Mushi means bug and it's not a name(not one I know at least)

Anyways,hardly ever.If i do it's because i'm in a challenge and/or want to recognize them(like Fly for a pokemon,to remind me that that pokemon is a Fly Slave),ETC.

PurpleMischief

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2015
    No, I don't. Only because I'm not creative enough. Although a friend of mine has every pokemon on her white named after one of her friends. It's actually almost creepy.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • I do. I've just started a Nuzlocke and my team so far is:
    Polo the Tepig
    Macbeth the Lillipup
    Venezia the Pidove
    Artemis the Pansage
    Max the Woobat
    I also had a Patrat named Brutus, but he died. :(

Years
  • Don't often nickname my Pokemon but when I play Black I'll think about it.

I do nickname my Global PokedeX Plus Pokemon though.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    i will never ever ever nickname my pokemon i see it as pointless

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Gastly---Pooter
    Starter---Peanut
    Hitmonlee---Raphael
    Kabutops---Shredder
    Otherwise, I'll usually pick a theme. Like I once went with all ninja turtles, or I'll go with greek gods, or I'll just pick ice cream flavors. My Chocolate Beedrill was a beast.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • I haven't in the past, but I plan on doing so in the near future.
    Mainly, I will nickname them on their looks.

grovyle802

Great at pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2011
    I did when I first started playing (like a pikachu named zipzap or a squirtle named shellshock) but then thinking of new names became annoying so I stopped before getting my second game.

Buttered Coat

I AM BUT A COAT.
    Years
  • I usually don't nickname my pokemon but I do if I think of a good name or its going to be traded. In that case I give them silly names like DERP XD

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    I almost never nickname my Pokémon. I prefer them to have their rightful names rather than the silly names I might come up with.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I have never nicknamed my Pokémon. I usually come up with fail nicknames and then a few days later I don't like it. Although when trading, I won't nickname the Pokémon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    No, there came a point it just felt silly. Like most nicknames ended with a y tagged on the end.

I like to see their actual names too....like in the anime Ash doesn't nickname his pokemon.

2122wolf

3rd Generation Journeyman
    Years
  • I nickname the ones that become heroes for me, that almost end up holding a special place in my heart :P. I don't nickname legendaries but I also like to nickname the ones that I think look cool and decide to use, like Houndoom and Ninetails that I name 'Apocalypse' and 'Inferno' respectively.

Years
  • Until Black, I generally named about 20-25% of my Pokemon, only if I could think of good ones. I always had the names, as well as my own characters' names, in all capitals because I thought it looked better.

In Black, I decided to ditch the whole capitals thing, and I decided to nickname every single Pokemon I caught. It's kind of surprising how relatively easy it becomes to come up with decent nicknames after a while. Not necessarily funny, but just ones that fit or at least sound like the Pokemon's actual name. This rule I set does not apply to Pokemon from my other games or from other people. I'm not sure if I'll continue that rule with subsequent Pokemon games.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I did that in Pokemon Blue!
    But I stopped that after I gave one surf....

"IMPO rode ____!"

....yeah, that was a shock

Lulz :3

i will never ever ever nickname my pokemon i see it as pointless

You are a heartless person. Mr. FluffyMuggins will never be your friend. Now if only I knew whom Mr. FluffyMuggins was...

I'm actually going to make a little booklet where I'll right down my "official" nickname of every Pokemon of every gender. I started it... but I'm too lazy to finish :|

If I can't think of something for a nickname, I go to Google Translate and translate a bunch of words that go along with the Pokemon, then I mush them together to make a name.

Ex;
    Dewgong/Seel - Female: Dewdrop
    Whismur/Loudred/Exploud: Amp
    Munna/Musharna: Dream

Pansear: Monuego
    Panpour: Monagua
    Pansage: Monierba
    Sandile/Krookodile/Krokorok: Corenid

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back