• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you regret your starter choice?

A lot of people who started playing during the days of release chose a starter based on which they liked most, then realized their chosen starter was more common than the others in their area. Were you one of these people? Do you regret your choice or are you happy with who you picked? Maybe it doesn't matter to you at all because you already have the whole set?

I chose Squirtle but there are so many of them here and I've probably captured at least 20-30 by now. Meanwhile I found Charmander for the very first time in my sightings yesterday only to have it never show up. x'D

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yes actually, but not because another is really common, there are no starters around here at all.
    I actually tapped the wrong one, I wanted to get squirtle :p

Years
    Not really, because there aren't any starters at all around here. I was lucky and got the full set (including Pikachu) with my first 4 or 5 eggs hatched. It's gonna take me forever to evolve any of them though, the only one I've seen in the wild was a Squirtle and that wasn't in my home town.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I did the trick to get Pikachu as a starter, thinking it would be rarer than the other three. How wrong I was.

Luckily I didn't choose Squirtle, as there are an abundance of those where I live (despite not living anywhere near water?), i've so far seen (and caught) one Bulbasaur, but Charmander? Nope. Not a single one so much as appeared on my 'sightings'.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I'm glad I picked Charmander, I have the least Charmander candies of all the starters. Lots of squirtles in my area and starting to see bulbasaurs spawning very recently

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Bulbasaur is my favorte poke so I picked him and don't regret it even though I've caught ten more since then. I have caught a half dozen squirtles and only two Charmanders so at this rate I should have 125 candies for them all in about two years :p

Years
    I have all the starters apart from Pikachu, I chose Charmander and don't really regret it, I mean I caught a Blastoise in the wild and I'm not a huge fan of the Bulbasaur line so I guess I'll keep going until I get that Charizard :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    No big regrets because its only 3 candy and the starter pokemon is weak, but some regrets because i have no pikachu yet.

But then, to get the candy to evolve these, you anyway need to really get lucky with the eggs multiple times, or you need to find a nest and spend many hours (or even days) grinding them there.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I regret it not only because squirtles are indeed quite common around here, but also because I didn't actually want a squirtle in the first place and only ended up with one because the server lagged out and I panic-tapped :/

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    Yes. I didn't realise how choosing your starter worked. The first thing to pop up on my overworld map was Bulbasaur, so I thought the game just assigned you one of the starters at random, and I caught it. It was only later that I read about choosing from the three or walking around a bit until Pikachu showed up. I wanted Charmander as my starter. And my area is crawling with Bulbasaurs, Squirtles and Pikachus, and I only caught my first Charmander yesterday. So yes, I regret my choice.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I was extremely clueless when I "encountered" my Charmander. I didn't know I had to actually choose my starter. I ended up choosing Charmander, when I wanted Squirtle to begin with. Squirtles are more common in my area than Bulbasaur and Charmander combined. fml.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Oh yes definitely! Squirtle are pretty common around this area and I've hatched a fair few Bulbasaur by now but I've yet to find a single Charmander. The other two are already up to their second stage forms with how many I've found but had no luck at all with the Charmander family yet. Definitely wish I'd gone for him haha.

Years
    I've seen quite a few Squirtle near my work place (I think I caught 4 in one day), so I kind of regret picking it as my starter, even if it's my favorite of the 4 available. To this day, I've still never found a Bulbasaur in the wild, and I've only got one because I managed to hatch it out of an egg.

Years
    I don't regret choosing Charmander at all. I caught a Squirtle not long after (hatched another 3 and caught another 4 too), hatched a Pikachu just after that and then hatched a Bulbasaur after that. It's quite easy to find Squirtle where I live but it's impossible to find Bulbasaur. I've hatched another 2 Charmander so I could have went with Bulbasaur but I prefer Charmander so I'm happy.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I went with Bulbasaur and I'm never going to evolve him. When I take a Gym, I put a Magikarp in it and use my starter Bulbasaur to train up its prestige a few times. No ragrets.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Starter Pokemon was complete garbage anyway with its low cp. Never regretted it!
    Found plenty of starter Pokemon in the wild.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    I felt so sad when I learnt that we could "choose" our starter :(. All I saw the first time was a Charmander, no choice at all (or I didn't look well enough, it was at the very beginning of the game). I'd love a Bulbasaur :(.

Back