• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Do you still play

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Saw a YouTube video that showed recently discovered shiny mechanics for SwSh. So I defeated 100 Frosmoth, 100 Drudiggon, and 100 Snom (to maximize the brilliant aura occurrences) and began shiny hunting them (near the Crown Shrine in the Crown Tundra). Big mistake, as it took me one whole week to get a shiny Frosmoth. Was it worth it? No, since I don't care about shiny Pokémon. So I got a shiny Drudiggon at 13 brilliant aura occurrences (113 total) and for the Frosmoth: 705 so I had to defeat 605 brilliant aura Frosmoth to get a shiny. Lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I finished my second playthrough. I actually ended up resetting once during the GMax Eternatus fight because 1st turn Howl boosted Earthquake wasn't appreciated by my partners at all. ^^"

The champion fight turned into a 1v1 at the end. I actually only won because Leon's Charizard didn't get a boost despite spamming Ancient Power.

On this playthrough, much like the first one, my entire party missed out on level 60 just barely (stuck in the ranges between 55-59).

This may well be the last playthrough of a gen 8 game, though.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I most definitely still play my Pokémon Sword. I am still breeding, still trading, and best of all, still battling! If anybody is interested, please hit me up via DM.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    Sporadically, but after 200+ hours, I've moved onto Pokémon Legends Arceus for the most part.

I do replays, but I'm not going to delete my current save because there are too many valuable things I don't want to lose. Instead, I create new profiles.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Sporadically, but after 200+ hours, I've moved onto Pokémon Legends Arceus for the most part.

I do replays, but I'm not going to delete my current save because there are too many valuable things I don't want to lose. Instead, I create new profiles.

Are you enjoying Pokémon Legends: Arceus? Do you still play Pokémon Sword or Shield pretty often despite putting in that many hours?

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    Are you enjoying Pokémon Legends: Arceus? Do you still play Pokémon Sword or Shield pretty often despite putting in that many hours?

I'm enjoying Legends Arceus a lot. It's probably my favorite Pokémon game on the Switch.

I haven't played SS in about a week. It was fun cooking for my Vaporeon though.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just got my first ever Egg shiny! I'm intending to go heavily on competitive this next week before that ultimate finale thing, so I've bred up a Grimmsnarl and Coalossal as I don't have many legends and don't care for Master Rank (also going to use my OC Magearna at some point though). Grimmsnarl took like 20 eggs to get a 5IV with the right nature - wrong ability but I used a patch as i was tired. Anyhow, at eggs 30 and 31 of my Rolycoly spree I hatched - consecutively - a 6IV, then a 4IV shiny!!!

Obviously the bad IVs are the two key ones for G-Max Coalossal - HP and SpA - so I'll have to hyper train, but I'm just so stoked at actually hatching a shiny!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Sword is treating me well this weekend!

Bred a shiny Litten - again, not shiny-hunting but I got a shiny before I got an Impish one haha. So that's now an Incineroar in my Coalossal team, added to a new Rillaboom (non-shiny). Went 8-0 in ranked battles last night!

I've also been attempting to capture Calryex - given its such a touch capture and the struggles of trying to get the correct nature etc. I decided to just throw my one Moon Ball then SR...I caught a Timid one!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Bred a shiny Litten - again, not shiny-hunting but I got a shiny before I got an Impish one haha. So that's now an Incineroar in my Coalossal team, added to a new Rillaboom (non-shiny). Went 8-0 in ranked battles last night!

Good job! 😊

I've also been attempting to capture Calryex - given its such a touch capture and the struggles of trying to get the correct nature etc. I decided to just throw my one Moon Ball then SR...I caught a Timid one!

Why not just change the Nature with Mints?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Good job! 😊
    Why not just change the Nature with Mints?

I'm old-fashioned. I have limited supply of those and bottle caps so I save them for shinies - Coalossal needed one of each, Calyrex needed a bottle cap, Incineroar needed one of each, and my Lunala needed hyper training too.

Plus there are so many event Pokémon where you can't reset them too. Like when I decided on an OT for my Original Color Magearna (open to suggestions), then I'll potentially get something unsatisfactory like a Jolly nature with 31 HP, Atk, and Spe where I want Modest 31 SpA and don't care for Spe. So that would potentially be another mint and 3 bottle caps.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I'm old-fashioned. I have limited supply of those and bottle caps so I save them for shinies - Coalossal needed one of each, Calyrex needed a bottle cap, Incineroar needed one of each, and my Lunala needed hyper training too.

Plus there are so many event Pokémon where you can't reset them too. Like when I decided on an OT for my Original Color Magearna (open to suggestions), then I'll potentially get something unsatisfactory like a Jolly nature with 31 HP, Atk, and Spe where I want Modest 31 SpA and don't care for Spe. So that would potentially be another mint and 3 bottle caps.

Sounds like you're person that loves a challenge!

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • I got Pokemon Sword only about a month ago on my birthday. I'd held off from buying the game for the longest time because I had... problems with it. But I saw it at a pawn shop for $20, and I couldn't pass up on that. :P

I haven't finished the Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra on my main file yet, and I started up a Wonderlocke file on the side! Maybe I'll even start up an egglocke after I finish that one? This game will keep me occupied for quite a while. ^^

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I don't remember when I stopped playing the game, but it was when some character told me that something bad was happening, which I thought was gonna be a nice segue to a dungeon or plot battle. But instead, they told me that they were gonna take care of it and that I should proceed with my journey. At that point, I was like "what" and just stopped playing. :/

Years
  • I'm not as disappointed in Sword as I once was. The last time I played, I just updated my look and went on a dynamax adventure. It's also my most played game with 110+ hours poured into it according to my Switch profile. I might replay it someday, but right now, I mean, when I pick it up again, I will just catch the remaining legendaries in Crown Tundra.

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • I racked up 400+ hours during the games' lifespan, and couldn't believe it had been that much so effortlessly. Raids really added a whole other element to the experience. I put them down for a while as new games came out. But... for all the things I appreciate about Scarlet/Violet, the way the PVP battles look is not one of them. Despite all the ridicule SWSH got for its graphics, I've always thought the battles looked fantastic.

So recently, I spent about a week catching every pokémon with their relevant hidden ability! It took a long time, lots of date flipping and resetting. But now I'm ready to start the next step; breeding for perfect IV's, important egg moves, and making sure those hidden abilities pass down. And hoping for some shinies along the way using a perfect IV masuda method ditto 😁

I know when discussing gimmicks, people consider dynamax hard to take seriously. But once you get past the lack of rationale behind it, I think it's very fun to use. Looking forward to logging many more hours!

Years
  • My primary Gen 8 game was Shield. I played the heck out of it; I was hospitalised for about a week and in that time I managed to complete a living Dex before Home-support was released.

I later picked up Sword just to have for the collection, and my god. The opening of SwSh is a SLOG. Not quite as bad as Alola (which is a shame, because I really loved Gen 7), but a slog nonetheless.

What I ended up doing was catching a Morpeko, transferring it to my Shield and levelling it to 100, then placing it back in Sword and sweeping the game with it.

It's a little hard to go back to Gen 8, but if ever I want to shiny hunt some legendaries in the Raid Dens, it's nice to have the option.

Years
  • And now that I gave away my Switch to someone I truly trust, I hope he has more fun with Sword than I did. I also need to teach him how to restart the game and how Pokemon Home works. Luckily i'm seeing him at the end of the week...maybe.

Back