• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen do you thing firered is set in the right difficulty?

cossu3

loves hack rom
    Years
    fire red is totally one (maybe the) of the easiest game in all the franchise
    imo is better cause it makes the game more relaxing and makes you easier to grow up your Pokemon

unfortunately in some ways it makes the game worse for example
    in my gameplay I like used only my Blastoise, my zapdos and some Pokemon captured in the first route used as hm-slaves
    I went to the league with my level 78 Blastoise havin':
    surf
    bite
    hydropulsar
    (I don't remember cause i probably didn't use this move that much)

useless to say that the entire league went off within 15 minutes

but what about you?
    do you think it was better or you rather playing difficulty hackroms or simply new-gem-games?

Years
    I think Fire Red's difficulty is in line with difficulty in the rest of the series. All you have to do is mash A and go forward.

But I love going back to Fire Red and do challenges in it, because I can play it on autopilot for most parts.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    The games kind of expect you to make a full team of six and keep switching out Pokemon whenever possible. That way you don't end up with one single overpowered Pokemon and instead have a decently leveled party all around. When using only one Pokemon then chances are you end up easily going through the entire game. That's not just exclusively FireRed but every game of the series.

Years
    • Online now
    In Pokémon games, we're supposed to build a team (Certain NPCs even straight tell us this). Pokémon battling is about team work, strategy, and proper understanding of the battle mechanics.

If you can defeat what are supposed to be the strongest trainers in the entire region with just one overlevelled starter that doesn't even have a proper end-game moveset, then yeah, it means the difficulty is trash, because it fails to convey the message that these games supposedly want to transmit. Why would a newcomer bother raising multiple Pokémon if they realize they can stomp everyone and become the region's champion with just an overpowered Swampert, Empoleon, etc.

This is why many players use level caps and many other self-imposed rules, so that battles and the game whole experience feel more like what they're meant to be.

Some Pokémon games have somewhat challenging and decent Elite Four & Champion, but in FRLG they're a total joke. If you look at their movesets it's pretty clear that they aren't even trying to win.

Back