• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Think You Have Mean Parents?

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Hmm.. It was a bit nasty of his family. However, thinking about it, don't some youths do just the same to their families? Pull nasty pranks on them? Do those ever get reported? These parents are far from the worst parents in the world- it was a prank, it wasn't meant seriously. My only complaints were that the family had to pull this on a day like Christmas =/. They probably regret it, and have apologized by now, and the child has probably forgotten all about it.

Regarding the question, my parents put limitations on what I can and can't do, and I follow along those. I'm a pretty free person, so long as I don't stir up any trouble and do as I'm told.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    It may not be the nicest thing a parent could do to a kid, but it's certainly not the worst thing in the world. Of course, the choice in boxes was very poor. I'd be pissed too if I opened an Xbox box to no Xbox in sight. However, like I said before, this is certainly not the worst thing a parent could do to their child.

This is still a cruel prank that the parent should not have done. If they were going to give their son clothes they really should have used a more appropriate box. But they're definitely not the "Worst Parents of the World" and it is totally incorrect to label them as such.

To answer the question, no, I don't have mean parents. They can be strict, yes, but there is a difference between being a strict parent and being a mean one.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Yeah, the article is a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously they were stuck for a story... :P That's the Media industry for ya lol We can't always take things on face value. News stories can be very misleading and some will go to extremes to produce entertainment.

I imagine there is something more behind the story than what is said. For all we know, it could be the last chapter of a moral story. Or it could be a poor families attempt at getting a free Xbox360? You never know...

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Please. They kid was pranked.
    He was crying because he got his hopes up too much.
    get over it.

anyway, I don't have MEAN parents, but my mom is scrict.
    and crazy.

My dad is a little more loose, but about the same.

I'm actually glad I got the family I did. Because they aren't the parents that suck because of abuse and/or flawed opioins,, (etc.).

If something like that happened to me, I would just feel silly that I got my hopes up that much.
    I would probably chuckle or something, and check out what kinds of shirts I got. (we have a Xbox360 anyway for my borther, something like this could only happen via Wii).

so, overall, the kid should get over it, and no, I don't have mean parents. :D

ScyKinG

Can't Be Touched
    Years
    Wow, thats horrible and I felt horrible for that kid =/ ,y parents are not like that, actually the complete opposite o.o

Years
    yeah i hate my parents..definatly mean..espescially my mother..but still they wouldnt prank me like that ..feel sorry for the kid

Years
    I think everyone has covered the whole exaggeration part. There are far worse those parents could have done, and there are parents a hundred times worse out there.

However, I don't think this lightens the situation. If everything in the article is true, then that is a bit messed up. There are tasteful pranks, this was just tasteless. The parents are just setting a bad example. The issue wasn't that the kid didn't get his Xbox. It's not even about the initial disappointment. It's that his parents, who he is supposed to be able to trust and who is supposed to be seting a good example for him, have basically got his hopes up with something he may or may not have ever expected to be able to have, crushed them, and then to add insult to injury made a mockery of him on the internet.

That's the sort of cruelty I'd expect from children, not from grown adults to their own son. I guess it can harden the blow when its someone you expect to be mature.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    sometimes,they become very mean(scary even),when i do not do my chores & stuff......
    one time i get sent out of the house for continuous-all-day-long DS play(i got sent out for nine hours):laugh:but its ok, at least i know that punishment is a sign of love^_^"!

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Unfortunately, as you start middle school, it is guaranteed you WILL have several fights/arguments with your Parents, there is no stopping that (Unless... there is absolutely NOTHING you dislike that your parents like) If your parents are just... not really good parents at all, I pity :x

As for me, I'm pretty cool with my parents since I'm not very stubborn

Senjistar

Dazzling ;)
    Years
    Me and my dad can't ever get along unless we don't say much.We really can't act serious aroung each other so, we mostly act goofy. It's funny because we are so much alike and want to do everything ourselves we end up fighting. But thats about it and it's not that big a deal. My dad and mom are nice though.

As far as the Vid. The kid was putting on a little bit of an act I think.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Punishment is a sign of love you know,so don't think that your parents hate you if they punished you...

Dr. Salt

Rawr <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    Lol that kid got OWNED. I thought it was pretty funny at what they did. The joke was harmless but how they laughed at him crying was cruel. I wish my parents has thought of something like that! >_<

My dad is cool, but my mom is way to over-protective.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    once again, i feel sorry for that kid, we should feel lucky that we have great parents..

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    It's funny... my parent's have done the opposite to me. My siblings and I (Mind you, we were all pretty young at this time) all unwrapped similar shaped presents one Christmas. It seemed that we all received Sketcher's. Well... my other two siblings are girls, so they were alright with that. I, however, was very young and wasn't too happy with it. I didn't want to seem ungrateful... so I thanked them and kind of pushed the box a little away from me... It wasn't until many hours later that my parent's really wanted me to look at my "new shoes". To humor them, I opened the box. Can you guess what was inside? There were about 4 video games and a plethora of other little things… I was ecstatic! Come to think of it… that's when I first got my Pokémon Blue version. Of course, I didn't actually play it for about a year or so later. I was extremely against Pokémon back then, for some reason. :knockedou

I do think it would be a funny prank if the child was older. If my parent's had got me a Wii box with nothing in it for Christmas now… I would laugh and punch my dad. (Though my Wii box did have a Wii in it. :P) However, that kid was pretty young. You don't do things like that to a little kid's ego. Especially on Christmas. If the parent's would have done that, then actually gave him an Xbox later, that would have been an all right prank. It might have even taught him a lesson. ;) Plus, children don't understand money. Why would a little kid know that his parent's couldn't afford the same things his friends were getting? That realization doesn't come in until further in life.

To answer the question at hand, I don't think I have bad or "mean" parents. My mother does tend to get on my nerves a lot and my father has some issues that he is resolving. Other than that they are pretty cool. They treat me like an adult, and in turn I try to act that way. Though I can be known to act childish.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    As far as pranks go, that was pretty good. I didn't find it funny myself but speaking from an objective standpoint they executed that quite well.

My father's very lenient and we share various interests, but my mother is stricter about things and our opinions can clash. In the end of things though, I'm just a social reject that locks themself in their room and only emerges momentarily at times like dinner. I have nicer parents than most, I think...
    Oh yes, I'm also a member of an ultra rare shiny phenomenon: a Western extended family, as my grandparents on my mother's side of the family help out and do stuff too, as is nature's intended role for grandparents. They have their own house, but it's on the same potato-shaped loop of road.

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    One day, when I was 14, I asked my mother if she would mind if I had a guy over. She asked me if he was a friend somewhere, and I told her that he was not, but instead, someone I wanted to date. She was shocked, perhaps hurt on some level? - later, I heard my dad on the phone talking to my mom, saying things like, "I'm not having a queer for a son", and what have you. There were some really needless hardships that resulted from me coming out of the closet, but I was never hit, or forced to think a certain way. It showed that my parents do actually give a **** about me.

But those parents there...

Back