• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you type properly?

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Do you type properly?

When most of us were in grade school, we were taught to type by placing our hands on the ASDF , JKL; and spacebar keys.It is considered the proper way of typing. Do you actually use this method when typing?

I usually don't, especially when causally typing, but I try to keep all of my fingers in a steady position over the keyboard. I normally just find the keys I need and press them with any finger though. When typing a paper for school however, I will use the proper way of typing since I usually make less mistakes that way. I'm so used to not typing that way though, that it can be kind of awkward and I sometimes struggle with using the right keys. I've noticed though that I type slower when typing correctly and that frustrates me when I'm trying to respond to something as quickly as possible. So I usually just type with any finger (though that sometimes causes me to be careless and make more mistakes).

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    I have one of these keyboards.
    Do you type properly?

I kind of have to. Though that is not a problem for me. I love this keyboard, and as someone who is on the computer all day long with my job, they keyboard really does help with fatigue.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Absolutely, I always use it, and always have since I learned it. It's necessary if you want to be a fast typist. I think last I checked, I type at about 100wpm. That wouldn't be possible if I used some other method of typing.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Ever since I learned how to type using the my entire hand, it just comes naturally to me - as soon as I'm going to type anything, even short notes my hand goes in the correct keys. I'm the only one in my family that does it, everyone else just uses one finger at a time.

I can type 40 wpm without mistakes or 65 wpm with a few mistakes.

Also I'm getting fairly good typing in Spanish (my first language) since some of the keys are different from the standard English (USA).

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    Nope. I type with the first two fingers of my right hand and the first finger of my left. My right hand is in the proper position but my left tends to come in from the side, usually resting next to the shift key. Apparently I look really awkward when I type but I manage it quite quickly and type at around 70 wpm. Even typing two handed is a challenge for me. Sometimes when I'm tired I will lapse back into typing one handed, occasionally with only one finger, which actually results in me typing faster than with both hands. Weird huh?

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I have one of these keyboards.
    Do you type properly?

I kind of have to. Though that is not a problem for me. I love this keyboard, and as someone who is on the computer all day long with my job, they keyboard really does help with fatigue.

These keyboards are uncomfortable to me, but probably cause I don't always type the right way. It feels awkward to me. I don't know, I never really like the proper way of typing, even if as a kid. I feel so restricted for some reason and hated learning it in school. It felt by forced to me. If I last checked (and it's been a while since I did a typing test), I typed at 40 WPM using the proper method and probably 60-70 WPM using my normal method.

Years
    I used to only type with one finger, which is as unconventional as it sounds, haha. However, I got pretty used to it and still ended up being relatively fast, and then I'm not sure exactly when, but I switched over to the traditional method of typing, which brought my rate up a lot. Oddly enough, most of my friends at school stare in awe when we go to the computer rooms because of how fast I type, but all that really shows is how much time I spend online. n__n;

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    No, I don't. I only type with 3 fingers - my left index and my right index + right thumb. It's unconventional, but it's crazy effective in my case. I manage an 80+ WPM, among the fastest in my school on my standard laptop. I acutally have a lot of trouble typing the "standard" way, just because I suck at moving all of my fingers in order, haha.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    Nah, I learned it, but it never stuck with me. I just kinda do whatever I want to do, especially since if I tried to go back to the whole "proper typing" thing, I'd go slower that a turtle.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    No, I've never used that way of typing. Since I was 3 I learned to type, and when they tried to teach me that way in 5th. grade I just couldn't and wouldn't learn it. I mean what's the point? I could type quicker than everyone in the class anyways. That way is a good way to learn though, who knows maybe I'd be able to type faster if I had learned the "traditional" way.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
    I learned myself to type the proper way. There was a girl in my class in elementary school that followed courses for it and I was so jealous of how she was able to type so fast with 2 hands that I had to learn it as well ^-^.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I still can't type the proper way, but I still feel comfortable typing the way that I have done for years. At least I'm getting in an average of 45 words per minute without making mistakes.

Years
    I probably don't type properly either, but it's as long as I can type at a reasonable speed that I feel fine.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I do try, seeing as I try my best to keep my eyes focused on the screen as much as possible, though I do cheat with some finger-to-key relationships, seeing as sometimes, it's just more practical for me to extend things a little bit farther. I'm also kind of slack with home-row placement, too - I just need to get a rhythm going on and I don't really care about anything else.

Touch-typing most of the time also did wonders for me typing on a Surface Touch Cover - not having physical keys meant absolutely nothing. Some of my friends did comment that I can handle myself with a Touch Cover way faster than people using a desktop keyboard.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    No, I don't. I only type with 3 fingers - my left index and my right index + right thumb. It's unconventional, but it's crazy effective in my case. I manage an 80+ WPM, among the fastest in my school on my standard laptop. I actually have a lot of trouble typing the "standard" way, just because I suck at moving all of my fingers in order, haha.

I have a friend who types like that. I have another friend who hunts and pecks. I type about 45wpm and my hunt and peck friend says I type so fast. I am honestly much slower than a lot of people I know. I guess just because hunt and pecking is so slow that I look like a speed demon compared to him.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    Yeah I type normal. I can't even position my fingers differently than the proper way. Last time I checked I typed anywhere from 60wpm-100wpm depending on the words lol.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Nah. I had to learn like that in grade school but I never ended up typing like that. My hands don't have a set position, they kinda go all over the place. My left hand mostly stays above the ASDF area, but my right hand goes all around haha. According to this site I can type 95 WPM sooo not that bad~

Back