• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Does anyone remember...

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    The four-way link battle glitch on R/B/Y (not sure if it persisted by G/S/C).

What you need:

• Four games (R/B/Y) and four people
    • Two original Gameboy consoles
    • Two Gameboy Colour consoles
    • A universal link cable (which has two GB connectors and two GBC connectors, four connectors in total)

What you do:

Start a link battle. With four people

What happens:

Obviously the games weren't designed for this, which makes the results even more amusing. Enjoy not knowing who your opponent is, who is going to send out which Pokemon from which player, what levels they will be or much else for that matter! I never had this corrupt my game, but who knows it might. Try it at your own risk.

The battles are still technically 1 vs 1 but some of the data must get confused in transit through the cable. The results are pretty funny.

Did anyone else do this or was it just me? :O

~ Waru

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Wow, I've never heard of this and it sounds brilliant and really fun !

I have a question : does it work only with 4 Games ? Or it can be extended to every even number greater than 2 ?
    Imagine ! The greatest battle ever done, between 100 trainers and not knowing who is who... the winner of this will be a true champion.

Another question : have you tried it between other games than Gen 1 ? Does it works with gen 2 games ?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    Wow, I've never heard of this and it sounds brilliant and really !

I have a question : does it work only with 4 Games ? Or it can be extended to every even number greater than 2 ?
    Imagine ! The greatest battle ever done, between 100 trainers and not knowing who is who... the winner of this will be a true champion.

Another question : have you tried it between other games than Gen 1 ? Does it works with gen 2 games ?

AFAIK it only works with four games since the universal game cable (unofficial, usually it was sold by 3rd party outlets like Game) only has four connectors on it. The universal game cable was never intended to connect four devices at once, it was for parents who didn't know what to buy (if their kid had a GB or GBC) or for people who wanted to trade from GB to GBC.

I don't know either, if it works with three consoles (or whether it has to be four).

I never tried it on Gen 2 as all my friends had quit Pokemon by then D: losers! It might work with gen 2 games, but keep in mind you couldn't use four copies of Crystal since it won't fit in the original GameBoy. You'd have to use four Gold, Silver, or two Crystal and two other :)

It may also mess up games which are completely non-pokemon related. Who knows!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    I have no idea if it works on emulators. Do the emulators even have a simulae for the old four-way link cable? Maybe I should just buy the setup on eBay and YouTube it

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I remember doing this with my sister and two cousins. It just happened out-of-the-blue. We were all scared that our games were corrupted or something but they weren't lol.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I heard of it, but never had the connectors so I wasn't able to do it as a kid unfortunately. I remember being able to hook up Pokemon Red to my N64 controller and play it on the TV though, as a 4 year old kid that was crazy for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i never got to do it myself, but it was a pretty fun rumor going around. i believed it, i just questioned how it worked.

Back