• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doesn't live up to the hype.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2016
    What anime do you feel are too overhyped? The ones that everyone loves and even if you did enjoy it, you didn't feel as it deserved the hype it had gotten and that you heard from other people. Personal for you and in general I guess?

Like I enjoyed Shingeki no Kyojin, but definitely did not feel it deserved the hype it got. Sword Art Online and Tokyo Ghoul are others, Madoka Magica I've heard but I haven't watched it yet personally.

pkmin3033

Madoka. MADOKA. God damnit, this is one of the most shallow, pathetic shows I've ever seen in my life. It's pitifully predictable even before the third episode shock, and that's all it does: it relies solely on shock value to sell itself. The characters are under-developed and cliche, the art style is horrific, and it's the kind of baseless, shallow trash I'd expect from Urobutcher. Good music, but I've heard better. I do not understand the hype for this one at all. Also, not a deconstruction. Go watch Princess Tutu, then come back and tell me Madoka is a deconstruction. It plays things so straight it's not even funny. Learn what a deconstruction is first, if you don't mind. God, this one irritates me so much.

Fate/Zero, another Urobutcher show that gets hyped to hell and back for reasons beyond my understanding, especially after watching Unlimited Blade Works and seeing what these characters are supposed to be like. It's beautifully animated, but it's literally just a long-winded, very boring prequel; an excuse for as much despair as humanly possible. For a series about a war between heroic spirits, there is very little war to be spoken of and, despite claiming to write this show for Kirei, Urobutcher spends a lot of time ignoring him. It has some nice moments, especially around Iskander, and a fantastic dub voice cast. But it's a far cry from the source material that inspired it.

I think as it is Attack on Titan would classify for this as well, for being not so much Attack on Titan as Attack on Flashbacks, but I get that they're trying to adapt the manga and I expect the second season will be significantly better. Looking at it as an extended prologue, the first season isn't too bad. Looking at it as a standalone piece of material...yeah. This one qualifies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Elfen Lied. All gore, no substance. The anime, at least. And the character of the MC's cousin is the most annoying character I've ever had the displeasure of seeing in anime. Just..ugh. Plus, I watched the series dubbed. And the bitch was particularly annoying in that. >_>

Ergo Proxy counts, too. I frankly DO NOT see what people see in this anime. I tried really hard to like this show and find the "intellectual" content that it apparently has - you know, the regular stuff - symbols, deep themes, messages and whatnot. All I got was a dark show (lol, visually speaking. It has a dark color pallette) with a show trying too hard to be a sophisticated show and failing miserably at it. It had an amazing OP track, though. I'll give it that. I dropped it at 18/22 episodes seen, though. Or 23 was the final count? Idk.

Madoka. MADOKA. God damnit, this is one of the most shallow, pathetic shows I've ever seen in my life. It's pitifully predictable even before the third episode shock, and that's all it does: it relies solely on shock value to sell itself. The characters are under-developed and cliche, the art style is horrific, and it's the kind of baseless, shallow trash I'd expect from Urobutcher. Good music, but I've heard better. I do not understand the hype for this one at all. Also, not a deconstruction. Go watch Princess Tutu, then come back and tell me Madoka is a deconstruction. It plays things so straight it's not even funny. Learn what a deconstruction is first, if you don't mind. God, this one irritates me so much.

Fate/Zero, another Urobutcher show that gets hyped to hell and back for reasons beyond my understanding, especially after watching Unlimited Blade Works and seeing what these characters are supposed to be like. It's beautifully animated, but it's literally just a long-winded, very boring prequel; an excuse for as much despair as humanly possible. For a series about a war between heroic spirits, there is very little war to be spoken of and, despite claiming to write this show for Kirei, Urobutcher spends a lot of time ignoring him. It has some nice moments, especially around Iskander, and a fantastic dub voice cast. But it's a far cry from the source material that inspired it.
    I'm aware of your dislike for Madoka since you've made it clear that you despise it with a burning passion multiple times across various threads, lol. But I wouldn't exactly call the art style horrific. I'm not a particularly big fan of the character designs, sure, but the background art was impressive and I was really impressed by the usage of abstract art in there. But that's just what I think. And the music, for what it was, was pretty nice too. Magia is one of the best ED songs I've heard in any anime, ever. Hauntingly beautiful. But yeah, those are just my two cents on the series.

I personally don't get what makes Fate Zero THAT good in people's eyes, either. I don't quite dislike it as much as you do, in fact, I actually really like the series. But I didn't really begin liking it a LOT till Kiritsugu's flashback takes place. That's like when 2/3rds of the anime runtime is already over. I didn't give a shit about a lot of characters (Tohsaka's dad, the caster and his master, assassin, berserker etc) and particularly not about Kiritsugu (supposed to be our mc, ffs) or his "cause" till that point. Only after that did I start liking it a lot. But, by that point, all it was for me was a bunch of pretty fights stitched together with with all kinds of backstabbing going on and whatnot.

Though I'll be honest, I prefer Fate Zero to Fate Stay Night any day. Fate Stay Night might look prettier but Fate Zero actually had multiple characters that I, at some point, started giving a shit about (Kiritsugu, Gilgamesh, Iskander, Velvet-kun, Sakura, that poor sap who tries to help sakura and even Illyasveil). Not true for FSN. I cared for Rin, maybe? That's about it. FSN looks juvenile in comparison. At least the Fate and UBW parts. Dunno about Heaven's feel. I mean, they're not BAD, per se. Just nothing extraordinary is all.

Overall, not really THAT big on the franchise. It looks pretty as fuck though. So that definitely makes for a compelling argument in its favor. Also, UBW had two of the best OPs I've ever seen in anime. Brave Shine, especially, is top class.

pkmin3033

I'm aware of your dislike for Madoka since you've made it clear that you despise it with a burning passion multiple times across various threads, lol. But I wouldn't exactly call the art style horrific. I'm not a particularly big fan of the character designs, sure, but the background art was impressive and I was really impressed by the usage of abstract art in there. But that's just what I think. And the music, for what it was, was pretty nice too. Magia is one of the best ED songs I've heard in any anime, ever. Hauntingly beautiful. But yeah, those are just my two cents on the series.

I personally don't get what makes Fate Zero THAT good in people's eyes, either. I don't quite dislike it as much as you do, in fact, I actually really like the series. But I didn't really begin liking it a LOT till Kiritsugu's flashback takes place. That's like when 2/3rds of the anime runtime is already over. I didn't give a shit about a lot of characters (Tohsaka's dad, the caster and his master, assassin, berserker etc) and particularly not about Kiritsugu (supposed to be our mc, ffs) or his "cause" till that point. Only after that did I start liking it a lot. But, by that point, all it was for me was a bunch of pretty fights stitched together with with all kinds of backstabbing going on and whatnot.

Though I'll be honest, I prefer Fate Zero to Fate Stay Night any day. Fate Stay Night might look prettier but Fate Zero actually had multiple characters that I, at some point, started giving a shit about (Kiritsugu, Gilgamesh, Iskander, Velvet-kun, Sakura, that poor sap who tries to help sakura and even Illyasveil). Not true for FSN. I cared for Rin, maybe? That's about it. FSN looks juvenile in comparison. At least the Fate and UBW parts. Dunno about Heaven's feel. I mean, they're not BAD, per se. Just nothing extraordinary is all.

Overall, not really THAT big on the franchise. It looks pretty as fuck though. So that definitely makes for a compelling argument in its favor. Also, UBW had two of the best OPs I've ever seen in anime. Brave Shine, especially, is top class.
    Well, I've got to take every chance I get to express my distaste of it to balance out the cosmic scales of the universe, because it really does get far too much appreciation, haha. I was thinking more of the horrible moeblob character designs than the background visuals, which DID have their moments with the witch reality marble things, I'll admit that. But for the most part it was visually underwhelming and couldn't seem to make up its mind about whether it wanted to be gritty or sickeningly cute. I suppose the fans would argue that was the point, but...consistency. It's important. I'm not going to accept the "it's art!" excuse for poor quality.
    You'll get no arguments from me about Kalafina, haha - Magia isn't my favourite song by any means, but I've yet to hear a song by them I haven't loved to pieces. I was just thinking that, honestly, Madoka's soundtrack is not some of Kajiura's better work.

Those were good episodes, but...well, this is the problem with Urobutcher: he only develops his characters through flashbacks, it only comes when the anime is almost over, and it's so totally lacking in context it does nothing to improve the show. Madoka had it with Homura, and Fate/Zero had it with Kiritsugu. It's like he forgets to do it and just chucks it in at the end or something. I quite enjoyed Kiritsugu's flashback episodes as well, but I couldn't reconcile that with who he was before that or afterwards either; it was like two completely separate characters. Even watching it a second time I just couldn't see it. It's not so much character development as it is trying to build a new character to disguise how crap the old one was. Good episodes, definitely, but they're totally out of context with the rest of the series. One or two good ending episodes don't make up for the bullshit I have to put up with to get to it, either.

I guess going into Unlimited Blade Works I found it more interesting, because I didn't know how things were going to pan out. Zero had a lot of its intrigue robbed right from the start, because it was obvious half the characters were going to die before it was over, even without considering who was writing the thing. And the dialogue...oh, god. Where it wasn't downright boring it was just plain cliche, I've seen Power Rangers series with more depth to them in the writing. Unlimited Blade Works at least made an effort to develop its characters across the entire series, rather than just in one or two episodes, and they didn't all sound like they were from a badly-written 60s movie or something. I really couldn't get behind the dialogue at all, which made it difficult to watch, which made the infrequent battles lack meaning, which made it dreadfully boring.

I suppose I'm a little critical of Fate/Zero because it doesn't really fit with the rest of the series; it feels like a bad fanfiction to me rather than a prequel. Certain characters get far more attention than they should, and others get totally ignored. There are some great characters in it - I love Iskander, and Archer as well - but they're handled so damn poorly it's more frustrating than it is anything else.

But To The Beginning is one of my favourite Kalafina songs, and the opening animation gave me chills. If only what followed it was of similarly high quality...

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    OK I'm sure this one most would people would agree. Aldnoah Zero really tried to hype itself up from episode 1 that it was supposedly going to be 'different' in some way with the way the show's tagline gets shown on each episode. Then season 2 happened and took a completely different approach to the stoy, as if the events of the last episode of season 1 never happened. Everything just fell apart.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    No Game No Life. Though, to it's credit, them putting so much money into getting Orlando Bloom in on it definitely lived up to what I've heard.

Buuuuut otherwise, yeah. Mostly do to the cardboard characters and, moreso, the female villains that did have some dimension being transformed into cardboard after a curb-stomp. Which was a consistent thing.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I even forgot Meloetta hated Urobutcher's works since it's been a while.

Tokyo Ghoul (anime) doesn't live up to the hype. Do yourself a favor and read the manga.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Gintama.

It is so hyped up to be the most hilarious series ever, but with great serious arcs. I slogged through 55 whole episodes of the original Gintama trying to see what the hype was all about. I could never find it. I'm not saying it was never funny, but it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humor generally, and the serious arc I watched wasn't really anything that inclined me to keep on watching.

Episodic anime really need something to pull me in, Gintama just couldn't do that.

Back